EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 6 Jun 2007, 09:47 PM   #1
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Hotmail not allowing me to make changes

Hmm well Hotmail is being decidedly irritating at the moment and will not let me into my account details page to update some details. Had the problem now a few days on both firefox and IE. I just get a white screen when I click on the link.

Any ideas?
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Jun 2007, 02:00 AM   #2
theog
= Permanently banned =

hotmail is working just fine... even all the options, etc...

You might want to try on a different computer, if you can. If it still happens, then contact MS and have them look over your account.... for such a large company, and many companies, they do have a great support team... in my experience anyway....
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2007, 03:19 AM   #3
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

I can't remember the last time I was able to get to my hotmail account details page, in my case it only shows a perpetual "Loading..." screen. That's been the case for weeks, at least, if not more like months. I tried changing from the Beta Live Mail Interface to the "tragitional" Hotmail interface, but all that did was reduce my mail quota and my inactivity period., leaving me with the same problem trying to access my details.

To add "insult to injury", three attempts to have Gmail add my Hotmail address as an alternate "From" address in my Gmail account have failed, as Hotmail has apparently just "eaten" Gmail's address verification message each time, without a bounce message or any sign of the verification message in my Hotrmail Inbox or Junk mail folders. Of course, Gmail hasn't been 100% reliable for me either, but as I can't recall ever having three failed attempts (or even one offhand) at having a Gmail address verification message received at any other email address/service, it seems overwhelmingly likely that this is a problem at Hotmail's end. Starting out bad, Hotmail just seems to me to be getting worse and worse and worse...
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2007, 09:05 AM   #4
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmailer View Post
I can't remember the last time I was able to get to my hotmail account details page, in my case it only shows a perpetual "Loading..." screen. That's been the case for weeks, at least, if not more like months. I tried changing from the Beta Live Mail Interface to the "tragitional" Hotmail interface, but all that did was reduce my mail quota and my inactivity period., leaving me with the same problem trying to access my details.

To add "insult to injury", three attempts to have Gmail add my Hotmail address as an alternate "From" address in my Gmail account have failed, as Hotmail has apparently just "eaten" Gmail's address verification message each time, without a bounce message or any sign of the verification message in my Hotrmail Inbox or Junk mail folders. Of course, Gmail hasn't been 100% reliable for me either, but as I can't recall ever having three failed attempts (or even one offhand) at having a Gmail address verification message received at any other email address/service, it seems overwhelmingly likely that this is a problem at Hotmail's end. Starting out bad, Hotmail just seems to me to be getting worse and worse and worse...

You should contact MS support... I just tried sending the verification no more than 3 minutes ago and it was instantly in my hotmail box....

The only issue I have with either account is the fact that gmail bounces attachments as if your box does not exist... hotmail will make it so you can't download them, but at least you get the email...

Dunno what is wrong with your setup... maybe you two are on the same server or something... dunno.....
Old 7 Jun 2007, 10:13 AM   #5
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theog View Post
You should contact MS support... I just tried sending the verification no more than 3 minutes ago and it was instantly in my hotmail box....

The only issue I have with either account is the fact that gmail bounces attachments as if your box does not exist... hotmail will make it so you can't download them, but at least you get the email...

Dunno what is wrong with your setup... maybe you two are on the same server or something... dunno.....
I contacted Hotmail support once years ago about a serious problem with the same Hotmail account, and it did eventually get "sort of" fixed, but without ever a word from them personally or an apology, which was what led to my finally stopping procrastinating about discontinuing using my Hotmail account as my primary email account, as it was for about a year during my first couple years online, and soured me on dealing with them any more than I can ever manage to avoid doing unless they were ever to offer an email service attractive enough to be worth botherng trying to communicate with them personally in order to try to get it fixed.

Maybe their support is better now than when I last dealt with them, but it's "too little, too late" from my perspective, considering that they have nothing to offer that isn't available better elsewhere, as it's just plain a lousy service all around IMO, based on my own personal experiences and what has long seemed the general consensus in these forums based on the experiences of others. Some things may be worth fixing, but at least to me, Hotmail just isn't worth the bother. I'd consider it no loss to the Internet or to the world if Hotmail and Microsoft both went out of business. (end of rant )
Old 7 Jun 2007, 04:19 PM   #6
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Maybe their support is better now than when I last dealt with them, but it's "too little, too late" from my perspective, )
Their support is better... and if you actually emailed them, then maybe your issue would be fixed.

Seems like you have issues with hotmail and gmail because of the way you think not really how the services perform... Each his or her own, I guess....

I could really care less about what the "general population" thinks... most like fastmail.. lol... that tells you something. Anyway, I never said that hotmail was the Last Coming, but I think the issues you are having can be fixed... notice I said "can be." I don't know if they can or not, but in my account I'm not seeing any issues along the lines you are speaking. Seems like you have not seen those issues for a while since you might have tried to fix them "years ago" but gave up... dunno, you are not really clear there....

Microsoft go out of business... lol... not sure anyone would care around here... yea, they would.... but it makes people look cool to be anti-Microsoft... lol.... right...
Old 7 Jun 2007, 04:52 PM   #7
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I can't remember the last time I was able to get to my hotmail account details page, in my case it only shows a perpetual "Loading..." screen. That's been the case for weeks, at least, if not more like months.
Exactly the problem I'm having. I never thought to try switching to the beta interface. I might try that, if they offer it for aussie accounts.
Old 7 Jun 2007, 05:41 PM   #8
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Yay, I managed to update my details!
Changing to the beta interface did nothing. So I cleared all my cookies and went to www.passport.net and logged in there. Interestingly it would not load properly on IE, but it worked for Firefox!
Old 8 Jun 2007, 12:00 AM   #9
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Their support is better... and if you actually emailed them, then maybe your issue would be fixed.
Maybe, but like I said, to me hotmail just isn't worth the trouble, considering that their free service has long seemed to me to be more feature-sparse and unreliable than many other free services.

Quote:
Seems like you have issues with hotmail and gmail because of the way you think not really how the services perform... Each his or her own, I guess....
No, I have issues with them because of the way their services have performed (or not performed) in my personal experience. And I think personal experience has a lot of weight for most of us in deciding which services we prefer. "Statistics", or the experiences of others, mean less to most of us than what has worked well or hasn't for oneself, I think. I'm not sure how you might think you know more than I about how these services have performed for me.

Quote:
I could really care less about what the "general population" thinks... most like fastmail.. lol... that tells you something. Anyway, I never said that hotmail was the Last Coming, but I think the issues you are having can be fixed... notice I said "can be." I don't know if they can or not, but in my account I'm not seeing any issues along the lines you are speaking. Seems like you have not seen those issues for a while since you might have tried to fix them "years ago" but gave up... dunno, you are not really clear there.
My most serious issue.with hotmail in the past (several years ago now, around 1999 or 2000, as I best recall) was "sort of" fixed., like I said, but I've already described it in these forums at least a couple times in the past and don't feel like going through it again. But the short version is that they "lost" all the email in my account. A year or so worth of messages, hundreds of messages, in numerous folders, all vanished into thin air "in the bat of an eye." Full story at 11.

Quote:
Microsoft go out of business... lol... not sure anyone would care around here... yea, they would.... but it makes people look cool to be anti-Microsoft... lol.... right...
Maybe some of us really just don't like them? The reasons for that are published all over the Internet, and I won't try to summarize all the lurid details here.

Edit:
Quote:
I could really care less about what the "general population" thinks...
Did you mean to say that you couldn't care less? Sorry, I just couldn't resist nit-picking a little.

Last edited by xmailer : 8 Jun 2007 at 01:21 AM.
Old 8 Jun 2007, 12:04 AM   #10
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Storm View Post
Yay, I managed to update my details!
Changing to the beta interface did nothing. So I cleared all my cookies and went to www.passport.net and logged in there. Interestingly it would not load properly on IE, but it worked for Firefox!
Interesting indeed, considering that IE is M$'s own browser. And people wonder why some of us don't like Microsoft?
Old 8 Jun 2007, 03:02 AM   #11
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Editid you mean to say that you couldn't care less? Sorry, I just couldn't resist nit-picking a little.
I'm not writing a paper here and don't get credit for being correct 100%... so I could care less... (You know what I mean.... ) I could tear your post apart, but that would be nit-picking, now wouldn't it?

Anway, the rest of your post I can respect. The only thing I suggested was that complaining about MS but then not taking advantage of the free support they offered seemed a bit unfair IMO. Well, considering the type of stuff you were complaining about. It is all good though, as I said, I can respect your post, I can see why you are where you are in respects to your attitude with MS....
Old 8 Jun 2007, 03:19 AM   #12
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
The only thing I suggested was that complaining about MS but then not taking advantage of the free support they offered seemed a bit unfair IMO.
Since I'm already guilty of nit-picking, I might as well go for broke and add the beating of dead horses to the charges against me by saying that perhaps it isn't completely "fair", but since I'm not sure M$ has exactly garnered a sterling reputation for itself in the "fairness" department, everything considered in their case, I'm not sure acting in kind isn't "fair enough."