EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 11 Jan 2014, 10:03 AM   #1
aynrandgirl

Anybody try GoDaddy's Premium DNS?

It's certainly inexpensive, and they claim to offer both Anycast and DNSSEC. UltraDNS has DNSSEC but they're crazy expensive.
aynrandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Jan 2014, 10:50 AM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

Though I speak only for myself, I personally would not touch GoDaddy with a barge pole.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2014, 05:34 PM   #3
aynrandgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Though I speak only for myself, I personally would not touch GoDaddy with a barge pole.
That bad? Why so down on them?

I'm using Namecheap as my registrar right now, and I'm thinking of using external DNS. Most are too expensive (UltraDNS and EasyDNS *shudder*) but DNSMadeEasy and GoDaddy had good deals at ~$30/year. DME doesn't have DNSSEC though.
Old 11 Jan 2014, 06:56 PM   #4
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Why not rackspace's Cloud DNS? it's free, with anycast supported.
OK my email domain Mail2000.us is hosted the DNS with it.
I run my own DNS service also (DNSbed). But it's not anycast based.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2014, 01:10 AM   #5
aynrandgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
Why not rackspace's Cloud DNS? it's free, with anycast supported.
I didn't know about them. I figured they just did hosting. Also, I don't have a hosting account with them.

Speaking of anycast, how important is it if you have secondary DNS set up?

Last edited by aynrandgirl : 12 Jan 2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12 Jan 2014, 01:31 AM   #6
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I've used DNS Made Easy for years. The price seems fair and the service is great. Once I even called on the telephone to get help with an arcane configuration issue DNSME uses Anycast.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2014, 01:57 AM   #7
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aynrandgirl View Post
That bad? Why so down on them?
It's an old thread I know. The company has changed hands I think (since then)
Quote:

I'm using Namecheap as my registrar right now, and I'm thinking of using external DNS. Most are too expensive (UltraDNS and EasyDNS *shudder*) but DNSMadeEasy and GoDaddy had good deals at ~$30/year. DME doesn't have DNSSEC though.
I also use Namecheap and have been educating myself regarding DNSSEC. It seems that Namecheap are dragging their heels, regarding putting DNSSEC in place; I will keep a closer eye on what is happening in the future.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2014, 02:31 AM   #8
aynrandgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I also use Namecheap and have been educating myself regarding DNSSEC. It seems that Namecheap are dragging their heels, regarding putting DNSSEC in place; I will keep a closer eye on what is happening in the future.
Seems that most of the registrars are, despite DNSSEC support by 1/1/14 being a mandatory requirement of ICANN certification. Remains to be seen if ICANN bothers to crack down.

Other than the oft-despised GoDaddy the only other registrars that I know support DNSSEC are name.com and gkg.net.

Most of the DNS providers don't support DNSSEC either. DNSMadeEasy, rather oddly, only supports DNSSEC if they're your secondary DNS provider. I guess they don't have much faith in their DNSSEC product. They don't seem to charge less for being secondary either.
Old 12 Jan 2014, 06:01 AM   #9
hans2010

pairNIC is a domain registrar that offers free custom DNS and DNSSEC for domain names you have registered there. The same company offers web hosting with shell login (pair and pairLite). The web hosting and registrar services are separately priced, you don't have to do both.
hans2010 is offline   Reply With Quote