EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 22 Dec 2013, 04:02 AM   #1
aynrandgirl

Pobox queueing released messages?

I started a trial Mailstore account at Pobox. I was testing the spam hold-and-release feature by turning my spam lever up to "Trusted Senders Only" and then releasing received messages from the spam quarantine. I've found that Pobox is queueing my messages anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple of minutes after I've released them before actually sending them to the Pobox mailstore and forwarding addresses. Quite aggravating. Is this normal, or a feature of the trial account?
aynrandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Dec 2013, 05:15 AM   #2
EdinwolfPA
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by aynrandgirl View Post
I've found that Pobox is queueing my messages anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple of minutes after I've released them before actually sending them to the Pobox mailstore and forwarding addresses. Quite aggravating. Is this normal, or a feature of the trial account?
Hello,

YES, in my experience with Pobox, this is normal behavior.

FYI........Pobox's Mailstore severs frequently have issues every 6 months or so .......so you could have trouble accessing the web interface from time to time.

David

Last edited by EdinwolfPA : 22 Dec 2013 at 05:33 AM.
EdinwolfPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2013, 06:09 AM   #3
aynrandgirl

Ok, thanks. Regular mail delivery to the mailstore seems delayed as well.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 06:20 AM   #4
EdinwolfPA

Quote:
Ok, thanks. Regular mail delivery to the mailstore seems delayed as well.
Mail delivery is slow at times and their overall infrastructure could be better....

My Pobox account is up for renewal in a few weeks and I have decided that I am going to close my account there soon.......

I moved everything to Luxsci on October 19th.........shortly after their last Mailstore hiccup.

David
Old 22 Dec 2013, 06:26 AM   #5
EdinwolfPA

Everything else at Pobox works Great except the Mailstore part of it

David
Old 22 Dec 2013, 07:28 AM   #6
aynrandgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinwolfPA View Post
I moved everything to Luxsci on October 19th.........shortly after their last Mailstore hiccup.
Does the Luxsci spam quarantine work like the Pobox one?

What happened to prompt the change? Luxsci is 2-3x more expensive than Pobox ($120-180/year vs $50/year).
Old 22 Dec 2013, 07:55 AM   #7
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Everything else at Pobox works Great except the Mailstore part of it
Agreed: Pobox's basic forwarding account is superb (imho) Though I don't have an account now (when I did) I found that it worked superbly well with Fastmail.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2013, 03:13 PM   #8
EdinwolfPA

Quote:
Does the Luxsci spam quarantine work like the Pobox one?

Yes, they are similar to each other.

Quote:
What happened to prompt the change? Luxsci is 2-3x more expensive than Pobox ($120-180/year vs $50/year).
I decided to try Pobox in the first place mainly for two reasons:
  • I had a Major SPAM problem through my ISP e-mail account
  • I needed a place for my domain name e-mail from NameCheap

When I first signed up for a Mailstore account at Pobox back in December 20012 they had a major Mailstore outage that lasted several days. I had constant Mailstore access problems, etc. Pobox gave me 6 months for free due to this outage. I only paid $35.00 for my Mailstore account.

Also, on October 19th I again had similar Mailstore webmail access errors via their webmail interface the same ones I got back in December 2012. For this problem Pobox gave me 2 weeks for free.

I moved my domain name e-mail from Pobox to Luxsci on October 19th mainly due to sever problems with the Mailstore component at Pobox.

I needed access to my domain name e-mail and I did NOT want to deal with the problems again.

So moving my domain name e-mail to Luxsci was the right decision for me.

** I should also note that my e-mail account at Luxsci is my replacement for my Fastmail account which I will be closing by the end of August 2014**

David

Last edited by EdinwolfPA : 22 Dec 2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 03:38 PM   #9
EdinwolfPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Agreed: Pobox's basic forwarding account is superb (imho) Though I don't have an account now (when I did) I found that it worked superbly well with Fastmail.
Yes, Pobox did get rid of my SPAM problem that I had with my ISP e-mail account so I am thankful for that.

So my time at Pobox was worth it just to deal with that issue alone.

David
Old 22 Dec 2013, 03:57 PM   #10
David
Ultimate Contributor

Pobox (in the beginning) were deeply involved in the development of the 'SPF Specification' - you could enable it, and block, any messages that did not conform to the new (at the time) specification for SPF.

I had an email address that received massive spam, every day, to the extent that I was unable even to use it. After enabling SPF protection at Pobox (in advanced spam settings) it took about two months, to completely free up this address (from spam) everything bounced (except the couple of messages a day that were genuine)

Now (for a long time) they seem to have disabled this feature, why I do not know .....
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2013, 06:31 PM   #11
aynrandgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I had an email address that received massive spam, every day, to the extent that I was unable even to use it. After enabling SPF protection at Pobox (in advanced spam settings) it took about two months, to completely free up this address (from spam) everything bounced (except the couple of messages a day that were genuine).

Now (for a long time) they seem to have disabled this feature, why I do not know .....
I don't see anything calling itself "advanced" spam settings. There's one slider that selects among pre-arranged anti-spam features whose strength you don't control.

Are you sure SPF is disabled? If Pobox doesn't host DNS for your domain, you set up SPF from your DNS provider (I use Namecheap) not Pobox. If Pobox does host DNS for your domain: "Go to your domain's MyPobox page. If you see a section in the right bar labeled "Pobox SPF", we host your domain's DNS, and you can set up an SPF record saying all mail from your domain will come through our SMTP servers. Clicking the button in that section will create the record."
Old 22 Dec 2013, 07:23 PM   #12
aynrandgirl

Quote:
Yes, they are similar to each other.
Neat. I've decided I really like the "bounce nothing,quarantine everything" style of spam management. You can't lose false positives because they've been stored in the quarantine rather than being permanently rejected. Only Pobox and Luxsci are doing that so far as I know.

I'm still struggling with the exorbitant cost of Luxsci for a single user. A premium acct + premium filtering is ~$200/year. A basic acct + premium filtering is ~$140/year. Not a huge sum in the scheme of things, but way more than the usual suspects (Polarismail, Rollernet, Pobox, or Runbox).
Old 23 Dec 2013, 12:30 AM   #13
William9
The "e" in e-mail

LuxSci premium spam filter is provided by an enterprise service of McAfee. When using this premium service, MX records are configured to point to the McAfee service, then the filtered messages are to delivered your LuxSci account. No noticeable delay. I've used the service for years and it works very well. My experience with this service is nearly zero spam in my inbox. Conversely, I rarely have to release non-spam from the quarantine.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2013, 02:52 AM   #14
EdinwolfPA

Quote:

I'm still struggling with the exorbitant cost of Luxsci for a single user. A premium acct + premium filtering is ~$200/year. A basic acct + premium filtering is ~$140/year. Not a huge sum in the scheme of things, but way more than the usual suspects (Polarismail, Rollernet, Pobox, or Runbox).
True, it is a little more expensive than your average e-mail provider.....But it is worth it in my opinion....

At Luxsci I get tech support 365 days/year, 7 days a week from 9:00am-11:00pm EST..and with the recent changes Luxsci made recently make it even better http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=67998

David
Old 23 Dec 2013, 04:51 AM   #15
aynrandgirl

Quote:
At Luxsci I get tech support 365 days/year, 7 days a week from 9:00am-11:00pm EST..and with the recent changes Luxsci made recently make it even better http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=67998
Their website service does indeed look pretty good. Better than most I've seen out there, and if their hardware in fact isn't oversubscribed (as they claim) more desirable than the usual gaggle of web hosting services.