EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 9 Apr 2020, 08:23 AM   #31
rjbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
They might be using the Porter stemming algorithm. See:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sn...porter/voc.txt
https://tartarus.org/martin/PorterStemmer/
That stemming algorithm matches the fox/foxes and goose/gooses/geese behavior I noted above.
Correct, Fastmail uses Cyrus, which uses Xapian, which uses Porter and Porter2.

--
rjbs
rjbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 06:09 PM   #32
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Does anyone know if the new rules are actually in production yet? ...There has been an "upgrade" button for ages, but that was(/is?) during beta so not sure.

I ask because the last time I tried there was an issue where rule got negated every time I saved it. ...and it's a pain to keep upgrading/downgrading just to check.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 07:41 PM   #33
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Heh, oddly enough I was just thinking the exact same thing myself tonight!

What are they waiting for? And specifically because they restore the "old" rules when you revert back to them (non-beta) I basically gave up on the "new" rules beta because I was recently making some changes to my sieve script.

For me beta offers nothing I really need anyhow. I'll never use that new way of creating rules (i.e., the ones that spawn those jmapquery's). I just don't like it.

No need for labels either. That plus I got burnt on those from some beta bug I think which was bad enough to force me to have to do a restore from backup for the first and only time since I started with FM. No ticket reported since it was bad enough that I didn't even want to try to reproduce it (all my mail was mapped into two of my folders - each was acting like an "all mail" folder).

Last edited by xyzzy : 11 May 2020 at 07:48 PM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 08:11 PM   #34
JamesHenderson

Just got a response from support...

"Yes, this rolled out to production a while back."
Old 12 May 2020, 05:55 AM   #35
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

I know the "new" rules stuff has been in the non-beta for quite some time but what I was questioning was why is the ability to switch back and forth between old and new rules UI? If the new rules stuff is now official then like before there was this new vs. old there should be just one UI for rules.

The only distinct addition I can see in the beta is labels.

Last edited by xyzzy : 12 May 2020 at 07:54 AM.
Old 14 May 2020, 04:41 PM   #36
Jet Pilot

Hi

I created a new email account and it has the new rules enabled, is there anyway to revert to the old rules settings?

I want all emails to be deleted before they enter my account unless the sender is in my address book but there is no way to do that now as you can only filter to folders.

Previously I had all to/cc/bcc set to discard and had the box ticked to do not discard contacts. So my email account never saw any emails unless they were in my contacts therefore they were filtered before entering my account and if they were not in my contacts they were discarded.

Basically the same quistain as another user posted a few days ago
Jet Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2020, 05:13 PM   #37
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Interesting, so new FM accounts default to the new rules UI instead of the old rules UI. Assuming FM doesn't distinguish these new accounts by not letting them to use the old rules UI then go into the settings, Filters&Rules. At the bottom of the page you should see Return to the old rules. Click that.

The old UI will include a Delete permanently rule action which will generate a Sieve discard (i.e., "drop on the floor"). You will then see that rule in the Discard section (1). FWIW if you click the Learn more and upgrade at the top of the rules page you can switch back to the new rules UI. That discard rule will be changed to a new UI Delete to trash rule which apparently you don't like/want.

Note, rules created in the old UI are always mapped into the new UI if you switch from old to new. However, rules created in the new UI do not appear in the old UI. In other words the rules set you created in old is saved when switching to new and that saved set is restored when switching back from new to old. Hmm, now that I am saying this I wonder if FM will even allow new accounts to switch from new to old. If so what's going to happen to your added new rules when you switch to old that first time?

My post 35 above was questioning why they still have this ability to switch between new and old and not just lock it into the new UI? It's been a while by now. It's probably going to happen eventually so you will be right back to where you currently are with a rule that deletes to trash anyhow.

Last edited by xyzzy : 14 May 2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old 14 May 2020, 05:18 PM   #38
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
Interesting, so new FM accounts default to the new rules UI instead of the old rules UI.
Right, but that makes sense now that it has been officially rolled out in "Production" (as opposed to being available as a beta in "Production").

I am sure It is only a matter of time before the rest of us will be forced to upgrade".
Old 14 May 2020, 05:21 PM   #39
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
what I was questioning was why is the ability to switch back and forth between old and new rules UI?
Are we still able to go back if we convert now? I haven't tried in a while (it was getting annoying to convert, find the same bugs as before and then and convert back).

Last edited by JamesHenderson : 14 May 2020 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 14 May 2020, 05:30 PM   #40
Jet Pilot

No option to revert to old rules settings
Old 14 May 2020, 05:36 PM   #41
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Pilot View Post
No option to revert to old rules settings
Thanks.

We now need to ask the same question for anyone that had an existing account that has recently converted across.
Old 14 May 2020, 08:23 PM   #42
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
Are we still able to go back if we convert now? I haven't tried in a while (it was getting annoying to convert, find the same bugs as before and then and convert back).
Yes. Well at least I still can.
Old 16 May 2020, 12:59 AM   #43
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I want all emails to be deleted before they enter my account unless the sender is in my address book but there is no way to do that now as you can only filter to folders.
You can send it to an "unknown-sender" folder that's set to auto-delete mail after a day or two. IMO this is much better than discarding.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 10:00 AM   #44
Jet Pilot

Have been advised there is no way to revert back to the old rules.

Can someone tell me how to write a sieve to discard all email unless there in my contacts?

Yes, I have that temp folder and auto purge setup but auto purge does not always work and would prefer the emails to be discarded before entering the account.
Old 16 May 2020, 10:12 AM   #45
gardenweed

Quote:
Can someone tell me how to write a sieve to discard all email unless there in my contacts?

Disclaimer - I'm no expert in sieve - and probably shouldn't be suggesting such, but this is what I would try if I was playing with my own account (try it at your own risk):

Code:
if not header :matches "X-Spam-Known-Sender" "yes*" {
  discard;
  stop;
}
Repeat warning - try at your own risk.
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote