EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 9 Nov 2010, 01:03 PM   #16
Empath

Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: EMAILIAS.COM
Created on: 01-Jun-00
Expires on: 07-Sep-11
Last Updated on: 11-Jan-10

Administrative Contact:
Private, Registration EMAILIAS.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Technical Contact:
Private, Registration EMAILIAS.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Domain servers in listed order:
NS05.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS06.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

Name: Network Operations
Handle: NETWO2178-ARIN
Company: Emailias
Address: 109 East 17th Street
Address: #25
City: Cheyenne
StateProv: WY
PostalCode: 82001
RegDate: 2008-01-03
Updated: 2008-01-03
Phone: +1-866-605-9160 (Office)
Email: noc@emailias.com
Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/NETWO2178-ARIN
Empath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2010, 11:38 PM   #17
sync00

I also did not get a warning email. They did not mind taking money for my renewal two weeks ago.

Now I have to figure out what to do about the hundreds of DEAs I had set up.
sync00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2010, 11:33 AM   #18
wesley4

Hi,

Yeah, the sc*zzbuckets at Emailias didn't inform me by email either.

The site seemed to have been taken over a year or more ago and since then the customer service went downhill for me. The support@ email address was replaced by a suggest@ (!) address. I had been a member since 2004 and the previous owner was pleasant, replied quickly to emails and even implemented some of my suggestions. The new owners never replied to my emails.

The website looked as if it hadn't been redesigned since Day 1 but it was always for me the most feature-rich DEA service. There was never any buzz about it combined with an awful name..

I intend to continue to stay away from Gmail and the plus-addressing and just make do with Fastmail's aliases/personalities.

I'm thankful I downloaded the spreadsheet of emailiases every month and did so 5 days before the site closed down.

Pity all my favourite websites are closing down,
wesley4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2010, 04:53 AM   #19
sixteenkats

Email not lost

I was really worried about losing all the email that had been sent to my domain that I handed over to emailias. I've removed the MX servers, and now the old emails are slowly trickling in. The emails sent to emailias.com however...

I have lost all my data as I did not download the spreadsheet since I had no idea that it would just disappear one day. I'm not so upset about the $10 that emailias stole from me... but the lost data!!!!!
sixteenkats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2010, 12:26 PM   #20
Vin

Here are two links to some information about Paul MacIntosh, the guy who invented and founded Emailias. As wesley4 says, when he owned the company he was very responsive and kind. It's too bad he sold it. Anybody feel like tracking him down to see if he can be convinced to start it up again?? Or at least see if he can lean on the bozo who shut it down to email all former users their databases?

http://www.spoke.com/info/pbVTyo/PaulMacIntosh

http://www.linkedin.com/in/paulmacintosh
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2010, 05:56 AM   #21
norbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Here are two links to some information about Paul MacIntosh, the guy who invented and founded Emailias. As wesley4 says, when he owned the company he was very responsive and kind. It's too bad he sold it. Anybody feel like tracking him down to see if he can be convinced to start it up again?? Or at least see if he can lean on the bozo who shut it down to email all former users their databases?

http://www.spoke.com/info/pbVTyo/PaulMacIntosh

http://www.linkedin.com/in/paulmacintosh
That would be great if he could get a hold of the databases.

I've been using spamgourmet. You can only redirect mail to one real address though.
norbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2010, 06:09 AM   #22
pmac

Former owner here...

Hi all,

This is Paul MacIntosh, the former owner of Emailias. As you know, Emailias was sold a couple of years ago. I was working with the new owner up until this past February, at which point I was let go from their service.

Regarding the closure, I and other members did receive a generic email notice a month or two ago indicating the service would be closed down on November 5 (last Friday). They also sent another notice email on the Monday prior to shutting down the service.

I don't know what criteria was used to select the email addresses to send to, but it seems a number of members did not receive the notice.

For my part, sorry for any inconvenience caused. I was not involved with any decision to close it down. I sold the company further the product with more solid financial backing. Ultimately, it turned out to not be a good fit (me and them).

Due to non-compete agreements, I can't start a new service (people have asked me). Also, due to some non-disclosure agreements, I won't provide info about the company that acquired Emailias. Sorry for seeming non-helpful on these points, but it's a lawsuit thing.

Thanks for the loyal members that stuck with the ups and downs during the years I ran it. I really tried to provide a good member experience and support. I enjoyed getting to know many of you. Sorry that changed and that it's now all gone. :-(

Best regards,
--Paul.
pmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2010, 06:14 AM   #23
norbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
Hi all,

This is Paul MacIntosh, the former owner of Emailias. As you know, Emailias was sold a couple of years ago. I was working with the new owner up until this past February, at which point I was let go from their service.

Regarding the closure, I and other members did receive a generic email notice a month or two ago indicating the service would be closed down on November 5 (last Friday). They also sent another notice email on the Monday prior to shutting down the service.

I don't know what criteria was used to select the email addresses to send to, but it seems a number of members did not receive the notice.

For my part, sorry for any inconvenience caused. I was not involved with any decision to close it down. I sold the company further the product with more solid financial backing. Ultimately, it turned out to not be a good fit (me and them).

Due to non-compete agreements, I can't start a new service (people have asked me). Also, due to some non-disclosure agreements, I won't provide info about the company that acquired Emailias. Sorry for seeming non-helpful on these points, but it's a lawsuit thing.

Thanks for the loyal members that stuck with the ups and downs during the years I ran it. I really tried to provide a good member experience and support. I enjoyed getting to know many of you. Sorry that changed and that it's now all gone. :-(

Best regards,
--Paul.
Is there any way you could contact the latest owners and have them bring it back up temporarily so we could get access to our addresses? I was never sent a notification so I'm guessing it was sent from a non-emailias address and was filtered out by Norton Internet Security.

It seems like since they closed the business, you wouldn't be competing if you started up another similar service.
norbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2010, 01:38 PM   #24
sixteenkats

Contacting owners

I came here to say that domainsbyproxy says that emailias.com@domainsbyproxy.com will go to the current site admin. I've sent an email and will let you know how it turns out.

Paul - thank you so much for posting here. It's really good to know that we're not totally cut-off. Anything you can do in terms of contacting the owner on our behalf would be above-and-beyond, but we've come to expect that from you

I do want to say that I have checked *all* of my inboxes and spam folders and there is not a single message from emailias informing me about this shutdown.
sixteenkats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2010, 01:23 AM   #25
pmac

Forwarded this thread...

I just forwarded the link for this discussion thread to the current owners.

Good luck!

--Paul.
pmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2010, 01:53 AM   #26
wesley4

Hi Paul,

I appreciate your replies - it means a lot. Emailias was always streets ahead of Spamgourmet and the rest in terms of features. and GREAT SERVICE
wesley4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2010, 02:25 AM   #27
Oracle76

Wow, just stumbled on to this thread after googling emailias. Had been a member from 2003 and all 3,000+ of my emailias's went up in smoke. No email from them a month ago or a week ago, nada. Thought something was funny when my mail volume dropped a few days ago.

Funny, paid for another year a couple months back but have received no credit on my credit card for the extra 10 months of service they will not be providing. There has to be some protection for folks that paid and got stiffed.

Wonderful, no access to the site and no way to download 7 years of addresses. Hopefully this new owner gets on the ball and provides a way for users to retrieve all their past addresses.

If Paul cannot compete, I will. It can't be that hard to hire some genuis off elance to code a site like emailias. Since the site is dead there is nothing to compete against anyway.
Oracle76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2010, 05:06 AM   #28
Spamex

So allow me to address some of the Spamex question in-line below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
@janusz
>> Domain name: EMAILALIAS.COM<<
That spelling is different. Are you sure that's the same company??

@EdwinWolfPA
>> Not sure if this applies or not, However, here is a thread regarding Spamex: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...ghlight=spamex
Thought you should know if you don't already.<<

Thanks for the warning, but it was too late. I'd already paid.

My assessment of spamex so far:
Obviously I have no way to evaluate the long-term viability of the service. I admit it doesn't sound promising, but I just couldn't bring myself to go back to no pin-point control over all my email contacts. I'm spoiled.

<SPAMEX> We are still here and going strong. We recently fought and won an Patent Infringement litigation brought on us by WebZero, which purchased Emailias a while back. It was expensive and will take us a while to recover from those expenses.

They have a couple of interesting features that Emailias didn't have, but they aren't ones that are terribly useful to me, so they still don't make up for the features that are lacking. Nonetheless, they are the closest thing to Emailias out there, that I can find anyway.

Things I miss the most so far:
1) No Reply Generator. They do have the capability of clicking "send" next to a spamex online, which allows you to originate an email message from the spamex to the recipient (and copy yourself, if you wish). This is better than nothing, but not as good as Reply Generator. For one thing, you still have to wait for a reply to come from the recipient before you have their spamex response address.

<Spamex>You can create a reply address (we call it a CEA or Contact Email Address) by going into the contacts tab of the DEA and adding a new contact.

2) No way that I can see to download a copy of the database of all your spamex addresses. Believe me, this time I'm keeping my own spreadsheet! I don't know what I would have done this weekend without the one I had downloaded from Emailias and I can really feel the pain of those who didn't.

<Spamex>Yes, we do need this and obviously with what just happened to people with their emailias accounts, we understand the sensitivity to this issue. Look for it soon.

3) No way to list multiple domain names with one spamex. You can USE them for more than one domain, but you can only enter one as the "official" one.

<Spamex>I am not sure what this means. The <Site Domain> field can take a list of domain names and the DEA will be returned when Spamex is invoked from ANY of those domains.

4) No way to organize spamex addresses in folders. You just get a list. However the list is filterable in various ways and also searchable, so it's not too godawful.

<Spamex>True, no foldering, but the search does search in the DEA, the Domain and the notes fields, so it is easy to locate things, its just not possible to group them.

5) Minor irritant: no auto-select of the address after it's been created; you have to manually highlight it yourself.

<Spamex>This depends on the browser. On IE you should see a 'copy' link that will put the address into the clipboard. On other browsers you should be able to triple click the DEA to select it then have to Control-C to put it in the clipboard.

I am sure there are more differences that would probably irritate the heck out of other Emailias users, but for the way I used it, these are the biggest differences I notice. So far.
Regards,
Spamex
Spamex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2010, 05:15 AM   #29
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Spamex is a great service -- I highly recommend them. They occasionally go into hiatus for upgrades and news, but the service itself continues working without fault.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2010, 06:08 PM   #30
Sherry

[Moderator:]

Spamex, would you please send a PM to Edwin to see if you should be given Service Representative status. Thank you.

Welcome to the EMD Forums
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote