EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 Dec 2020, 07:18 AM   #16
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

I looked at the screenshot first, and now I just looked at it again. The screenshot looks just like the Notes screen looks in the phone app. I assumed you might've been using a browser on a phone. I knew it was a browser because of the URL bar. What browser do you use? I use Pale Moon ,and almost always the webmail, sometimes a client.

- Bruce

eta: I just tried the MS Edge browser too, and that toggling button is available with that browser too.

Last edited by somdcomputerguy : 5 Dec 2020 at 07:24 AM.
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Dec 2020, 07:25 AM   #17
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
What browser do you use?
I use a variety of different open-source browsers, downloaded from f-droid. None of them is perfect - they each have their strengths and weaknesses. The screen-shot was of the Stoutner Privacy Browser.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com....wser.standard/

Last edited by Grhm : 5 Dec 2020 at 08:23 AM.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Dec 2020, 07:39 AM   #18
somdcomputerguy

It's possible that is is a browser issue. Try a different one and see.

- Bruce
Old 5 Dec 2020, 07:43 AM   #19
somdcomputerguy

I just created a service ticket.

- Bruce
Old 5 Dec 2020, 07:55 AM   #20
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
It's possible that is is a browser issue.
I just did some experimenting, and it appears that the desktop version of webmail has the buttons, but the mobile version does not. (Some mobile browsers offer the option to view the desktop version of web-sites on your phone... with one or two browsers that option even works!)

Last edited by Grhm : 5 Dec 2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old 5 Dec 2020, 08:02 AM   #21
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenman View Post
It's become a bit of a project to use Fastmail as fully as possible
Do you use the Fastmail's website functionality as fully as possible?
I find it's handy for various things other than websites... such as linking to files in forum posts (like I did just now), url-shortening, file distribution, and even web shortcuts if you own a snappy domain name.
Unfortunately, though, they've recently introduced an arbitrary limit of just 100 web addresses per user, which has rather put the kybosh on its usefulness.

Last edited by Grhm : 5 Dec 2020 at 08:25 AM.
Old 5 Dec 2020, 06:53 PM   #22
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
It just depends on what you are trying to do. For example, I find that the organization of notes drastically impacts how readable they are. I like to use things like bolded words, italics, bulleted lists, and be able to hyperlink items so I can just use one click to go to them. ...

Personally, for what I do, which is text-oriented, typical Notepad apps are frequently either too limited or too complicated (OneNote and Keep).

And of course the fact that a Note I create is instantly available on my phone too, without any additional cutting and pasting, is a huge advantage over a standalone note-taking app.
I absolutely agree that organisation of text helps. But, for example, a bulleted list doesn't need fancy fonts - you can use dashes or 'o' or '*' as bullets, and things like /highlighting some text/ work fine (especially as the editor highlights the slashes).

I'm not using Notepad, but a scriptable programmer's text editor, and that has customisable syntax highlighting, which although it's really only intended for programming language highlighting, does at least colour arbitrary keywords. I've lists of those according to the sorts of subjects I most often keep notes on, so eg in a plain text file full of notes about Amazon or Ebay purchases, words like "PRIME" (which I note to keep track of whether Prime membership is making economic sense for me) are coloured. But the editor starts instantly whereas Libre Office takes about ten seconds to start (on an i7-powered laptop).

I don't have a modern-enough phone to try to place notes on it, but if I ever get around to upgrading it, I expect I'll use a programmer's editor there too, again on plain text files, and use Dropbox to sync such files.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Dec 2020, 09:03 PM   #23
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Libre Office takes about ten seconds to start (on an i7-powered laptop)
I agree! That's why something like Notes as built-in to Fastmail's Web and phone apps is very useful. It opens instantly, has basic editing functions for making useful notes, and stores things in a place I can access them easily whether at home, the office, or out and about. Having Notes integrated with the phone app generally saves me a tiny bit of time finding and launching another app since Fastmail lives on my homescreen.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 2020, 08:00 AM   #24
somdcomputerguy

Service ticket reply

This is the reply I just received from the ticket I placed re: the plain text/rich text toggle button. Grhm, I suggest you place a ticket if this any concern to you. I don't think, and they probably haven't, read this thread but I did mention it, and provided a link to it, FWIW.

- Bruce

Quote:
Hello Bruce,

Thanks for reaching out to Fastmail support.

Currently we do not have a feature for editing rich text on the mobile app.

However, I have shared your suggestion with our development team as a feature request. Please note that we're unable to offer any timeline as to if or when this feature could be implemented.

I'm sorry to hear you know of someone who is unable to toggle rich/plain text editing on their web browser. Could you please ask them to submit a support ticket to us? We'd love to help them access this feature!

If you have any further questions or problems, please feel free to contact me.

Cheers, Piper
Old 7 Dec 2020, 08:05 AM   #25
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Thanks. Will do.
Old 7 Dec 2020, 08:08 AM   #26
somdcomputerguy

You bet bud. I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction.

- Bruce
Old 28 Dec 2020, 12:01 PM   #27
Grhm
Essential Contributor

See
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...98&postcount=6
Old 28 Dec 2020, 04:14 PM   #28
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

The button is there, hit edit its in the top bar
Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2020, 01:00 PM   #29
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
The button is there, hit edit its in the top bar
The discussion here was about editing notes in the mobile app, which has very limited rich text features. Fastmail acts differently when run from a PC browser, mobile device browser, and the mobile app. The choice of browser also affects some things (such as the available text sizes in Settings>Customize>Preferences>General).

When using the mobile Fastmail app on iOS or iPadOS (which are slightly different operating systems), you can make small Rich Text edits in the Notes or email Compose message body by selecting text in the normal fashion and then using the B I U (Bold / Italics / Underline) choices. But you do not have access to a full rich text editor and you can't change between plain text and rich text modes or clear formatting. Those features are currently restricted to the Fastmail website using a PC browser.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote