EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13 May 2011, 11:46 PM   #1
pcm41

best alternatives to fastmail? can't take any more outages

I moved from my own server to Fastmail in February on the advice of a friend (changed ISPs and shut down my dedicated line). The features of Fastmail are great, but the reliability is terrible. In as many months as I've been with Fastmail it has had serious/lengthy outages.

The AT&T-NYI peering problem (while not Fastmail's direct problem) was also extremely frustrating. It's not a very serious hosting solution if they just operate out of a single DC as they currently do.

I'd be happy to pay double, triple, quadruple, quintuple what Fastmail charges if the service would just stay *up* 24/7 - *reliably*.

I can understand hardware failures, but come on, guys -- someone makes a "configuration error" that brings down the system and corrupts data? Do you realize that this is a service that you provide, that people *pay for* and count on working?

My wife must rely on her e-mail being available for her work, and every time Fastmail goes down it causes extreme stress (for her and me, as a result). I'd love to stay, but I just can't risk more outages like this.

Can anyone offer any alternatives to Fastmail that they've had good experience with? At present, Rackspace e-mail hosting looks very appealing.

Old 13 May 2011, 11:54 PM   #2
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Anything I've tried I've only moved back again to Fastmail.

There's always Gmail and Hotmail tho... But I've got about 1000 reasons to stay away from them...
Old 14 May 2011, 12:03 AM   #3
pcm41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
Anything I've tried I've only moved back again to Fastmail.

There's always Gmail and Hotmail tho... But I've got about 1000 reasons to stay away from them...
Yes, it looks like there aren't a lot of good options without doing more work (e.g., VPS via EC2 or similar cloud hosting solutions). Definitely do NOT want to go the gmail route.

I really want to stay with Fastmail, the features are incredible. But they MUST do something about reliability.
Old 14 May 2011, 12:10 AM   #4
fryr

My Solution to Fastmail Outages

1. Register your own domain and set it's MX records to point to Fastmail with a short TTL.
2. Configure Fastmail with Domain and set up rule that forwards all mail to Gmail (Backup)
3. Only use email addresses from this domain.
4. On Outage change MX records to local domain and set domain forward to Gmail email address.

That's what I did after the last major outage and have enacted it this time and am now getting any new mail in Gmail.

The same can be done without MX records if you can configure a domain forward simply point it at Fastmail and when it is down point it at Gmail.
Old 14 May 2011, 12:14 AM   #5
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

The sad thing is, it seemed like these kinds of outages were a thing of the past, a remnant of the bad old days.

For the past several years, Fastmail had stellar reliability, with only very scattered and extremely brief interruptions. This year, however, has been a whole other story. We're back to the days of frequent and often lengthy outages.

I understand that "stuff happens," and I respect the technical expertise of Fastmail staff. But this recent trend is still depressing, and it's starting to concern me quite a bit.

Paul
Old 14 May 2011, 12:28 AM   #6
Tom Gallagher

Alternatives

Sadly, I have reached the conclusionn that there are no better alternatives....
Old 14 May 2011, 12:30 AM   #7
krimlin
Essential Contributor

Even if I found a new email hosting provider, I wouldn't get back any money I paid for FastMail, would I? My subscription ends in 2,5 years...
Old 14 May 2011, 12:32 AM   #8
David
Ultimate Contributor

Not putting all of your eggs in one basket is one solution....
Old 14 May 2011, 12:34 AM   #9
Shelded

other thread running on this topic also.... http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=62269
Old 14 May 2011, 12:35 AM   #10
pcm41

The Rackspace solution looks very nice/serious (http://www.rackspace.com/apps/email_...ckspace_email/) -- doing some research on reliability.
Old 14 May 2011, 12:47 AM   #11
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Luxsci is awesome. Reliability and customer service are excellent. It's more expensive than Fastmail. I've had an account with LuxSci.com for about 4 years. I've personally experienced no significant downtime.
Old 14 May 2011, 12:50 AM   #12
SPG900NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
Anything I've tried I've only moved back again to Fastmail..
Me too. When Opera bought them and changed the TOS without giving us any notice, I left. But I was crawling back within a month with my tail between my legs. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any decently-priced, feature-filled, quality aggregator of POP accounts that you can use online.

So we're left with the occasional outages, limited interfaces, and slow development.
Old 14 May 2011, 12:56 AM   #13
SPG900NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcm41 View Post
The Rackspace solution looks very nice/serious (http://www.rackspace.com/apps/email_...ckspace_email/) -- doing some research on reliability.
Interesting. You know, OWA looks like it's finally to the point of being a capable web client. I'm not stoked about spending $10 a month for email, but this might be a good idea. The Rackspace option is cheaper, but you have to buy multiple email boxes.
Old 14 May 2011, 01:00 AM   #14
Tom Gallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG900NY View Post
Me too. When Opera bought them and changed the TOS without giving us any notice, I left. But I was crawling back within a month with my tail between my legs. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any decently-priced, feature-filled, quality aggregator of POP accounts that you can use online.

So we're left with the occasional outages, limited interfaces, and slow development.
Amen to that.
Old 14 May 2011, 01:03 AM   #15
William9
The "e" in e-mail

It depends on what your needs are. If you want reliable e-mail service (accessibly near 100% for years) such as for business or professional messaging and great customer service, then LuxSci fills those needs. At least it has done so for me. LuxSci also has many features like multiple POP's, rules, push to mobile devices, etc.
Closed Thread