EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Aug 2009, 10:59 AM   #1
RLBrooks

Send FM/personal domain mail from Gmail

I have a personal domain that I use for email at FM. I'd also like to send mail "From: xxx@<domain.com>" from Gmail without that sender-id/on behalf of tags Google adds. I read the FM info to use mail.messagingengine.com (25,26,587/465) which I did but then Gmail also asks for a username and password. What do I provide? my FM username and password or the name I use with my domain?

Gmail keeps saying it can't contact the server.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Russ
RLBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Aug 2009, 12:56 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

When you say "I'd also like to send mail ... from Gmail" I'm not sure how this could involve Fastmail resources.

You can send your emails through webmail or a local email client. This gives you several choices for sending email, and only some of these involve Fastmail resources.
  • You can send email by logging into the Gmail website. No matter how you use the Gmail interface, you are only using Gmail resources for this. If you use your non-Gmail From address, Gmail adds the "on behalf of" tag. This is done by Google, and to my knowledge you have no control over this. In any case, it's unrelated to Fastmail and such questions belong in the Gmail forum.
  • You can send email by logging into the Fastmail website. You can set your From address to be your Gmail address or your personally owned domain address.
  • You can send email from an email client (such as Thunderbird) through the Gmail SMTP server. Gmail forces the From address to be your Gmail login address (not your personal domain address), as far as I can tell.
  • You can send email from an email client (such as Thunderbird) through the Fastmail SMTP server. You can set the From address to be whatever you wish.
Which of these are you trying to do? Are you using an email client or webmail?

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Aug 2009, 07:50 PM   #3
Luzo
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
You can send email by logging into the Gmail website. No matter how you use the Gmail interface, you are only using Gmail resources for this. If you use your non-Gmail From address, Gmail adds the "on behalf of" tag. This is done by Google, and to my knowledge you have no control over this. In any case, it's unrelated to Fastmail and such questions belong in the Gmail forum.
@n5bb
Nope, you may not be aware (not your fault ) that GMail started (2 days ago) to offer the possibility to use another SMTP server when sending with another email adress than your GMail account, thus making the "Sender Id" disappear from the header tag. I think the OP is trying to enter his FM credentials in GMail, and it doesn't work.

@RLBrooks
Use your FM username (including the domain part) and your password.
Luzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Aug 2009, 02:23 AM   #4
RLBrooks

The fix

I asked FM support for help and they showed me what was wrong. In particular I was using the wrong port with SSL, it needed to be 465.
587 is for non-SSL.

Russ
RLBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote