EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 20 Apr 2005, 04:43 PM   #1
hanslysglimt
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Runbox Status Report April 20

Short notice:
As of early this morning, all data and for all users are now moved over!
Your email is now on brand new Dell Servers.

Thank you.

Regards,
Hans
CEO runbox

Last edited by hanslysglimt : 20 Apr 2005 at 05:03 PM.
hanslysglimt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Apr 2005, 04:52 PM   #2
marc_otten
Master of the @

Great news!

I'm really anxious to find out what the impact of this upgrade on performance and stability will be!
marc_otten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2005, 04:59 PM   #3
simonb

Well done Hans and all the team. Tell Liz that it's safe to come out now
simonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2005, 08:41 PM   #4
csrgavh

Hi everyone -

Now that things appear to be normal speed wise, has anyone else had problems with the "spell checker"? I can't get it to give me anything other than an empty window in either IE6 or Firefox. Is this something that is yet to come back online as of this moment?

--
Craig
csrgavh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2005, 08:46 PM   #5
marc_otten
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by csrgavh
Hi everyone -

Now that things appear to be normal speed wise, has anyone else had problems with the "spell checker"? I can't get it to give me anything other than an empty window in either IE6 or Firefox. Is this something that is yet to come back online as of this moment?

--
Craig
For me it's working again. . .ehh. . .WTF. . . it's not working anymore (in IE6, that is)?!?
It still seems to be a little unstable

Last edited by marc_otten : 20 Apr 2005 at 09:46 PM.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 09:03 PM   #6
adam15c
Essential Contributor

Not working for me either. IE or Opera
adam15c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2005, 10:23 PM   #7
marcus0263
Cornerstone of the Community

Nope, spell check not working either with Firefox on Linux.
The text and HTML editors seem to work without issue. I haven't tried secure IMAP yet, will when I get home.

Again I present this question to the Runbox staff. What kind of preventative measures have you implemented like fail over and redundancy? It's a fair question
marcus0263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2005, 10:38 PM   #8
marc_otten
Master of the @

Not only is it a fair question but - given the issues of late - a very important question. I'm curious to see an official reaction.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 11:15 PM   #9
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus0263
Again I present this question to the Runbox staff. What kind of preventative measures have you implemented like fail over and redundancy? It's a fair question
What types of "fail over" and "redundancy" are you talking about?

If you're talking about being able to switch over to servers at another location that are ready to take over at a moments notice I really doubt it.

That would be very expensive to maintain and I doubt that $30/year/acount could cover an expense like that.

I'd be curious to know if any of the email services have something like that. And if they do, what do they charge.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2005, 11:35 PM   #10
BerMM

Shouldn't Runbox have their traffic split between multiple colocations with enough extra capacity to take on the traffic should one one of the colocations fail? Are you saying that its too much to expect?

Dan
BerMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2005, 11:39 PM   #11
marcus0263

Quote:
Originally posted by carverrn
What types of "fail over" and "redundancy" are you talking about?

If you're talking about being able to switch over to servers at another location that are ready to take over at a moments notice I really doubt it.

That would be very expensive to maintain and I doubt that $30/year/acount could cover an expense like that.

I'd be curious to know if any of the email services have something like that. And if they do, what do they charge.

Regards,
Rich
IMAP4all

I can see this being cost restrictive for small services and for a free service.
It's basic good network design
Old 20 Apr 2005, 11:55 PM   #12
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by BerMM
Shouldn't Runbox have their traffic split between multiple colocations with enough extra capacity to take on the traffic should one one of the colocations fail? Are you saying that its too much to expect?

Dan
For a maximum cost of $30/year/account, yes I think it is probably too much to expect. Regular backups of servers should be expected. Backup servers at the site should even be expected. But a complete backup location ready to take over if the other location fails ... I don't think we pay enough to expect that.

I don't run an email service so I don't really know all the costs but I think it would be a significant cost.

Regards,
Rich
Old 21 Apr 2005, 12:07 AM   #13
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus0263
IMAP4all

I can see this being cost restrictive for small services and for a free service.
It's basic good network design
I could not find where IMAP4all says it has multiple locations.

All I could find was:

Redundant & balanced highspeed connections and peerings to the best internet networks in the world

Fastest, full redundant mailservers on the globe

Which you can have at a single location.

Plus, in comparing the available packages, their " SILVER account" is probably the most comparable (in my opinion) to Runbox's package and that is 3 Euro/Month (about 47 USD/Year) compared to Runbox's 30 USD/Year.

Regards,
Rich
Old 21 Apr 2005, 12:53 AM   #14
marcus0263

Quote:
For a maximum cost of $30/year/account, yes I think it is probably too much to expect. Regular backups of servers should be expected. Backup servers at the site should even be expected. But a complete backup location ready to take over if the other location fails ... I don't think we pay enough to expect that.

I don't run an email service so I don't really know all the costs but I think it would be a significant cost.

Regards,
Rich
Good basic design is to split the load which is load balancing, then if one or multipule servers goes down the others picks up. Good design also dictates you design for growth so if one goes down the other picks up the load for both, voila redundancy.

Now multipule geographic locations might be to much cost, not sure how the networks are over there. But you should always have another pipeline. Example one for incoming, other for outgoing. Then if one goes down the other picks up the load, voila load balancing, failover, redudancy.

This is all basic stuff, but again this is a pay service not free. They also provide for business accounts. If they don't provide this basic service to their business customers, they're in major trouble.
Old 21 Apr 2005, 12:55 AM   #15
marcus0263

Quote:
I could not find where IMAP4all says it has multiple locations.

All I could find was:

Redundant & balanced highspeed connections and peerings to the best internet networks in the world

Fastest, full redundant mailservers on the globe

Which you can have at a single location.

Plus, in comparing the available packages, their " SILVER account" is probably the most comparable (in my opinion) to Runbox's package and that is 3 Euro/Month (about 47 USD/Year) compared to Runbox's 30 USD/Year.

Regards,
Rich
Key factor Redundancy
See above post

Reliability is worth an extra $17 a year