EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 18 Dec 2016, 01:13 PM   #1
PaulP

Not receiving email

Since upgrading to Windows 7 In September I have received no mail in my telkomsa.net email account. I have checked the web mail (do messaging) – my inbox is empty. I can send but not receive. Telkom so far have not been able to help. I am using Thunderbird. Any suggestions?
PaulP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Dec 2016, 05:32 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Can't imagine how a change of the operating system could affect email delivery. After all servers at telkomsa.net have no idea what you run at home...

Do senders trying to contact you get any error messages ("message undeliverable" or similar)?

Assuming this is not the case, send (or ask somebody else to send) a message to you from another account and check your mailbox via the web interface from another computer. This will eliminate any possible misconfiguration of Win7 and/or Thunderbird on your system.

What I have in mind is a (remote) possibility that TB is set to delete (mark as spam??) all incoming messages locally and on the server, so every time you use it, it clears everything. Not very likely, but IMHO possible.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2016, 07:13 PM   #3
PaulP

Not receiving email

Thanks for your reply!

Also can’t see how changing the operating syatem would affect it.
Senders get no message – just sends and appears in sent folder.
The strange thing is that in do messaging, the web interface, apart from the sent folder all the other folders are empty.
Old 18 Dec 2016, 10:26 PM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulP View Post
Senders get no message – just sends and appears in sent folder.
The strange thing is that in do messaging, the web interface, apart from the sent folder all the other folders are empty.
Using POP3 in Thunderbird for sending and receiving?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2016, 10:35 PM   #5
PaulP

Not receiving email

Yes using pop3
Old 19 Dec 2016, 04:15 AM   #6
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Yes using pop3
The POP3 protocol has the characteristic to download (and delete afterwards) email from the server. That's why you can't see it anymore in your webmail, because the webmail client only can connect to a server. Now, it must be somewhere in a folder in TB on your computer.
In TB you can this (deleting habit) turning on/off (sorry, I have no TB to check).
Found also this instruction with the right POP3 and SMTP settings. Check this, please.

Last edited by Berenburger : 19 Dec 2016 at 04:23 AM.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2016, 07:42 PM   #7
PaulP

Not receiving email

Hi Berenburger!
I have gone through all the settings again but no change. Why is the web mail empty?
Old 19 Dec 2016, 08:45 PM   #8
PaulP

Hi Berenburger,
I have perhaps not told the whole story. I use two other email addresses one of which is gmail and have no problems. The telkomsa.net address is rarely used and that is why I had not realised I was not receiving emails but I do have some mail sent to it. I have also once again changed my os to Linux Mint 18 but I can't see how that can affect things. PaulP
Old 20 Dec 2016, 11:26 AM   #9
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Testing your email account

Here is what I suggest:
  • First log in over the web and change your password (and of course record the new one) at your telkomsa.net email account. This will prevent any email client (including ones you might have forgotten about on mobile devices) from accessing your account.
  • While logged into your account via the web, be sure you do not have any email rules set up for that account.
  • Next send an email from your telkomsa.net web email account to your Gmail account. If that message is received, reply to that message and see if the reply arrives at telkomsa.net via the web interface.
  • Once you get the webmail working you can then work on your email clients.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2016, 05:53 PM   #10
PaulP

Thanks Bill - done all that - sent email to gmail account and received and replied to telkom account but still nothing in my telkom inbox
Old 20 Dec 2016, 05:56 PM   #11
PaulP

Hi Bill - just received this

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

paulpadmore@telkomsa.net

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the relay smtp.telkomsa.net [196.25.211.150].

The error that the other server returned was:
535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: authentication failure
Old 20 Dec 2016, 08:12 PM   #12
PaulP

Thanks Guys - not sure how but problem solved - a combination of all your expertise - many thanks. No thanks to Telkom!
Old 20 Dec 2016, 11:26 PM   #13
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
...Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the relay smtp.telkomsa.net [196.25.211.150].
The error that the other server returned was:
535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: authentication failure
That error makes it seem that they had a DNS setup error, since that is what you would expect if Google was trying to deliver to the telcomsa.net user client submittal SMTP server (which should require authentication), rather than the normal MX server for that domain.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote