EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 25 Jun 2010, 11:20 PM   #1
goossen

Thoughts about Gmx?

Hello people,

I'm trying to stop using Google, specially GMail. So i'm looking for a new email provider.

I recently got a fastmail account, which I've heard works great, but the mailbox size and bandwidth for the free account are not suitable for me.

What you think about GMX ? It looks like it has many nice features.

I'm open to hear opinions about other providers but please no Yahoo, AOL or Hotmail, I already tried these and they aren't what i'm looking for.
goossen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Jun 2010, 12:21 AM   #2
kinetic
Essential Contributor

I find GMX webmail too slow. But if you use it with an email client it should be good. Large storage space. Reliable company which will not disappear tomorrow.
kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 12:29 AM   #3
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic View Post
I find GMX webmail too slow. But if you use it with an email client it should be good. Large storage space. Reliable company which will not disappear tomorrow.
I totally agree.
GMX is another great provider comparing to Gmail.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 12:35 AM   #4
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic View Post
I find GMX webmail too slow.
I second that. In my case the website was virtually unusable e.g. last night.

GMX is not my main provider by far, I do not log in there very often, therefore I'm not too concerned. But I would not recommend it for anything serious.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 02:01 AM   #5
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Sloooooooooowwww...... To the point of unusable.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 03:14 AM   #6
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

I have a gmx.com account and with my emailclient (poco) it works very well...and seldomly their servers are down. The interface can be set in 3 or 4 languages. English is one of them.

Their spamfilters are working fine i think.

I admit their website is a bit slow....:-(

All in all i think it's a good,free alternative for Gmail.

Dutchie
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 03:19 AM   #7
goossen

Dutchie007 are you from Paraguay ? Me too!
goossen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 04:07 AM   #8
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

My opinion of GMX? Slow and "clunky." In fact, the webmail interface is horribly designed in practically every respect IMO. Might work fine with a client though, I wouldn't know, never having used it except with the webmail. I didn't find its spam controls very good either, although I haven't looked at that situation recently,.having used my account very little for awhile now.

But if you're looking for suggestions of other services to try, one I'd recommend (for the second time in as many days) looking at would be zoho.com (as discussed briefly yesterday in this.thread), with what I consider a much better webmail interface than GMX's.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 04:58 AM   #9
ozar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmailer View Post
My opinion of GMX? Slow and "clunky."
Ditto that... I've had accounts there for a while now but don't use them other than to keep them activated by logging in now and then. Perhaps the service will improve in the future and I'll want to put the accounts to good use.
ozar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 04:59 AM   #10
RunboxCustomer

My experience with GMX was not a good one and from what I've read, the problem is wide spread. I created an account, had barely used it and it was locked for spamming? This didn't happen once, but twice.

Final analysis: UNRELIABLE
RunboxCustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 05:20 AM   #11
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post
Ditto that... I've had accounts there for a while now but don't use them other than to keep them activated by logging in now and then. Perhaps the service will improve in the future and I'll want to put the accounts to good use.
Same here. I have two accounts there with good user names and several pretty good aliases, which I opened soon after the service opened, and which I try to login to often enough to keep my accounts "active" just in case those running the service ever decide to replace their "pseudo-innovative" interface with a more practical one, or at least offer a more practical one as an alternative.

Ironically, as much as people have complained about ads in free email interfaces, and as much as I myself have criticized Hotmail's and Yahoo's offerings, personally I'd rather have a banner ad at the top with an interface more like Hotmail's or Yahoo's (the "classic" Yahoo interface, not that horrible "new" interface) than the "atrocity" which GMX offers for webmail.
Old 26 Jun 2010, 10:45 AM   #12
tasty_bugs

Gmx

To the OP: Skip GMX.

Clunky interface, even with a fast computer with "loaded for bear" memory and a fast internet connection.
Unreliable features, with the file storage function "flaking out" with connection issues when transferring files back and forth.
Emails sent from friends and work associates either never showing up (shades of Hotmail), or showing up and ending up in the spam folder.
If you want to, Google "GMX forums", and you can check out what users are saying about it (complaint-wise) before trying it...

But, I'd say go for ZOHO.
I've had an account with them for over a year, and have had very little to no problems whatsoever. Good customer service, great storage, and a lot of additional "bells and whistles" for a free service, including IMO a superior online word processor and spreadsheet compared to Gmail!
tasty_bugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 11:10 AM   #13
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Proving once again that great minds think alike.

But seriously, folks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasty_bugs View Post
Emails sent from friends and work associates either never showing up (shades of Hotmail), or showing up and ending up in the spam folder.
I didn't mention it above, but aside from the clunky interface, I believe the first thing that put me off about the service, in fact, even led to my changing my mind about using it as a 'serious" backup account, was the terrible rate of false positives silently discarded, as you say, just as Hotmail is notorious for, which I noticed immediately upon starting to try to use it seriously.

I briefly mentioned the bad spam handling above, but another thing specifically which didn't impress me was the fact that messages from senders whose addresses I had explicitly added to my blacklist still continued to arrive in my Inbox. In short, their features just simply don't seem to work.

Quote:
But, I'd say go for ZOHO.
I've had an account with them for over a year, and have had very little to no problems whatsoever. Good customer service, great storage, and a lot of additional "bells and whistles" for a free service, including IMO a superior online word processor and spreadsheet compared to Gmail!
While I haven't yet used Zoho extensively myself, Gmail could learn a lot from the kind of individual support free zoho users get, based on my perusal of their forums, as well as one issue for which I got fairly prompt individual attention myself. Of course, Google is big and rich enough now that presumably they can get away with not learning anything about that sort of thing. Although whether ot not Zoho can continue to offer a free level of service with that quality of individual support over the long term may yet remain to be seen.
Old 26 Jun 2010, 05:20 PM   #14
miguelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunboxCustomer View Post
My experience with GMX was not a good one and from what I've read, the problem is wide spread. I created an account, had barely used it and it was locked for spamming? This didn't happen once, but twice.

Final analysis: UNRELIABLE
this is a nice messaure, I will prefer they block the spanners them to have their servers blacklisted
miguelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 06:36 PM   #15
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

I use GMX. I am not excited about the Web interface but I rarely use it. Most of my interface with GMX is via POP3 using my e-mail client.

With accounts that have both IMAP and POP3 available I usually setup an IMAP account in my client so I can use IMAP if needed, yet still "Check" mail like a POP3 account. This works fine with all IMAP accounts I have, and worked until recently with GMX. When "checking" GMX using IMAP the "GMX Update" messages would get stuck. So I added a POP3 account to my client for GMX which solved the problem. Not sure why it that would make a difference but it did. The only messages that gave me problems with those pesky "GMX Update messages.

I have deactivated GMX's Spam Protection so false positives is not an issue with me. I am currently not getting any spam in that account anyway and I prefer to let my e-mail client handle spam.

All and all I am satisfied with GMX.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote