EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 29 Jun 2022, 11:51 AM   #1
truemagic

telios.io

https://www.telios.io/#/

Anyone heard of this new email service? Seems to advertise on "Peer-to-Peer Decentralized Email for Privacy and Security".

(Self) pro claimed to be competitor to protonmail.

Also it has no Android mobile app yet and does not support custom domain.

Has a lifetime promo somewhere at appsumo but I would not risk getting the deal because I'm not confident it will last for long.

what's your thought on this?
truemagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Jun 2022, 02:18 PM   #2
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

I haven't examined it too close, but it seems to be a sorta The e-mail messenger - Delta Chat with GnuPG or something 'coded in'.

- bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2022, 02:00 AM   #3
emoore
Essential Contributor

You have to use their client to talk to their private server to send/receive messages with somebody not using their peer to peer network. They stress the messages will not be encrypted (even if the recipient supports OpenPGP) and doesn't mention whether they even use TLS.

What's the point unless most of the people you want to communicate with use Telios too? If they enhanced their external mail support to use the keys.openpgp.org keyserver plus the key servers used by ProtonMail and Tuanota and added the option to send/receive PGP encrypted mail to those external mail servers that would be different.

https://docs.telios.io/email
emoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2022, 02:46 AM   #4
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

The need for a direct peer-to-peer connection seems to be a huge flaw to me. Not only do both ends need to be running at the same time, but the sender also needs to be able to accept incoming connections. In many cases it just wont work or it might take days to get through. Even if it works, the correspondents get each other's IP addresses.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote