EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 Sep 2003, 08:20 AM   #106
mikev99
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by snsh
The simple/advanced labels are ambiguous (does "simple" mean I'm on the simple screen, or that I'll be forwarded to the simple screen).

Instead, make the link say show/hide instead of simple/advanced.
Maybe View Simple or View Advanced? Show/Hide has other meanings as well?
mikev99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2003, 09:13 AM   #107
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Quote:
Originally posted by mikev99
I did a reply to with prefix selected. The address in the TO field showed just the email portion of the address. I clicked on Address, added a cc, and when I returned, the TO field showed both the name and address, i.e. "name" <email address>.

Is this to be expected? I would prefer that it show name and email address initially.
If the email you were replying to did not contain a "name" part (eg only an email address part), then it will only include the email address when you reply because there is no name part.

However, if that email address happens to be in your address book with a corresponding fullname part, then when you click 'Check Names' or 'Address Book', or actually, even 'Send', then it will find that email address in your address book, and expand it to include the full name part from your address book.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2003, 09:15 AM   #108
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry
Rob, Important question
What will the default Save Copy be when not using a Personality and your in the simple screen? Will it depend on whatever you used last? The reason I ask is, if the Advanced screen is on the "Save new names plus the check box and the ?" take more than ˝ of the From edit field (to uncomfortable to type in). When I use the From it is usually business related and very important that a copy is saved.
It does the same as the 'advanced' screen, in that if you change from a personality to 'custom', it sets the Save To and Signature fields (which you can't see obviously) to whatever the personality you were on when you clicked 'Change'.

Rob
Old 16 Sep 2003, 09:22 AM   #109
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Quote:
Originally posted by mikev99
Maybe View Simple or View Advanced? Show/Hide has other meanings as well?
I'll make it "Basic screen" and "Advanced screen".

I'll change the button to "Attach More".

I'm probably not going to make many more changes from now.

Re: Save Copy/Signature at top/bottom

It seems that you can't please everyone all of the time on this one. I personally prefer it at the top and like the current beta layout, so I think I'm going to leave it at that for now. Sorry to all the 'want it at the bottom' voters for now, but there was always going to be someone who wasn't going to get their way on this one

Rob
Old 16 Sep 2003, 09:54 AM   #110
JeffK

That's why I've been relatively quiet on these things. For everyone that wants it one way someone wants it the other way because we all have different needs and ways of working.

So I'm happy to keep my mouth shut and let the majority/developer decide.

Jeff
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2003, 11:20 AM   #111
unhappysoul

I like it....

Quote:
Originally posted by robmueller
It seems that you can't please everyone all of the time on this one. I personally prefer it at the top and like the current beta layout, so I think I'm going to leave it at that for now. Sorry to all the 'want it at the bottom' voters for now, but there was always going to be someone who wasn't going to get their way on this one

Rob

Well... I like what I see..!!!

Let us have 'freeze' date as today California time and make it

production version in 5 minutes from now...
unhappysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2003, 01:48 PM   #112
Sherry

Quote:
It does the same as the 'advanced' screen, in that if you change from a personality to 'custom', it sets the Save To and Signature fields (which you can't see obviously) to whatever the personality you were on when you clicked 'Change'.

Rob
Thanks for letting me know. Although the new compose screen is a few to many steps for me to use, I still think you did a "great" job on it and it's "WAY" better than the one there now.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2003, 09:46 PM   #113
mikev99

Quote:
If the email you were replying to did not contain a "name" part (eg only an email address part), then it will only include the email address when you reply because there is no name part.
Rob
This one had a name part and it did not show. BTW, the message did not have a subject <No Subject>. Possibly that caused something to get confused?

PS. I select Advanced Screen. Close the browser, return, and the Basic Screen is up. Hence, it is not remembering my setting.

Last edited by mikev99 : 16 Sep 2003 at 10:18 PM.
mikev99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2003, 10:17 PM   #114
Prognathous
Master of the @

Quote:
Good decision. Now, wouldn't it make even more sense to group this button together with the logically related attachment fields?

And how about moving the Do Action and Append Note buttons away from the lower Send button? such layout would be safer and easier to remember, compared to a denser block of buttons.

Prog.
Prognathous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2003, 10:42 PM   #115
norbs
Essential Contributor

Sometime when I create a customised FromLineŠ i feel I might like it as a personality to use again. It would be really nice if, once you clicked on the [custom] button to input the FromLine, you can have the option of saving it.

Either as a tickbox to say "save this as a personality" which does so when you hit send. Or maybe a dedicated button which turns it into a personality with the details as entered immediately.

I realise this is one for the advanced screen and consequently a small percentage or the userbase will take advantage of it. But i have just found myself going in and out of the options screen to achieve this....

Love the beta as it looks now,

Andy
norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2003, 01:01 AM   #116
s a
Master of the @

Quote:
Rob
thanks Rob. the screen looks great.
s a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2003, 04:23 AM   #117
snsh

does anybody know how to make those "browse" buttons look nicer?
snsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2003, 05:09 AM   #118
stumcgoo

Anybody any idea when this is going live?

cheers
stu
stumcgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2003, 05:16 AM   #119
mklose

1600x1200

The only thing I still don't like is the huge width on large screens :-(

It would be OK if the javascript to limit lines to 72 chars would be in place, will it be? (I'm using Mozilla).

If I type text and use the format option and then resize the window until the compose window reasonally fits the 72 chars, then half of the buttons are off screen if using the quicklist

I would really love it if the compose window would not be so wide, but currently if the new compose window comes, I'll be a bit sad and would really want my old one back

All the ideas in it are great. Just the huge width
mklose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2003, 05:31 AM   #120
stumcgoo

in the old screen when I put "George" in the To field and clicked "Check Names" I was asked which George I wanted to send to.

Now when I click "Check Names" I get every george i have in my address book entered into the to field.

Is this correct?

Cheers
Stu
stumcgoo is offline   Reply With Quote