EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5 Sep 2003, 05:55 PM   #1
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Compose screen update to test on /beta/

I've finally had a chance to revisit the compose screen code. Part of the reason I got bogged down was trying to deal with some of the issues HTML composition was bringing up, including the funky new abstract message classes I was trying to develop.

Anyway, I decided that it would be good to finally start getting some features out, so I backed out the currently unfinished HTML editing changes, and finished up all the other changes I've been planning first (better field layout, quick list, 'custom' from button, etc).

There's still some config options missing (with regard to the quick list), but most of the work should be in place and working. You can test it out by:

1. Go to http://www.fastmail.fm/beta/
2. Login
3. Hit CTRL-F5 to force a reload of the javascript file
4. Go to the 'Compose' screen

Please try and break it, and let me know how it goes.

More info on the quicklist:
1. By default it's not shown, if you click 'Show quick list', it will show for the remainder of that session unless you hide it. There will be a config option for this eventually
2. If currently shows 10 addresses. Either those that have 'In quick list?' checked on the addresses screen, or if there's less than 10 of those, it uses it's own algorithm to move the most commonly used addresses up the list over time. This algorithm, the number shown, how fast addresses move will change

Cheers

Rob

Old 5 Sep 2003, 06:21 PM   #2
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Rob, splendid! Works great for me. The To/cc/bcc/subject fields are a bit humongous (as in, they span my entire monitor width) but I can get used to that.

edit: Ah, never mind... with the QuickList on they are actually pretty good in size! Quicklist rocks my socks!

What are 'notes', if I may ask?

--K
Old 5 Sep 2003, 06:50 PM   #3
AndrewL

The new layout with the quicklist is great! Thanks, to Rob and the FastMail team...

Quote:
Originally posted by kander
What are 'notes', if I may ask?
It appears that, on the beta server, notepad entires have a new "Is quick note?" property. Notes with that set appear in the "Notes" menu on the compose screen and can be inserted into messages. In my opinion, a really neat feature with plenty of potential uses.

Best regards,

Andrew

Last edited by AndrewL : 5 Sep 2003 at 06:52 PM.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 07:11 PM   #4
imho
Essential Contributor

Very nice!

However IMO Format, Spell check and Save Draft are three very common operations which deserve their own buttons in the lower part of the page. I use them all the time, especially Format which I often apply several times when I write a mail to check the line breaking.

I also like the Note thing.
Suggestions:
1) Add a special character like # or whatever in front of the name in the list (only the list) in the Notepad page to distinguish between plain notes and insertable notes.
2) Add a "Insert" button to the right of the Signature dropdown box in the Compose screen. Clicking this would insert the selected signature AND select "No signature" in the resulting page thus avoiding double sigs. This way it would be possible to easily add a signature while writing a mail if so desired.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 07:28 PM   #5
leisuresuitlary

Thumbs down

I have found that when using control+click to select multiple addresses which are then uploaded to the to/cc/bcc line (bcc line in my case) not all addresses seem to be transfer accross.

I have done this three times with the same result - when I select three two are uploaded, when I select 5 three are uploaded.

Larry

But other than that it seems great.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 07:41 PM   #6
injinuity
Cornerstone of the Community

Sorry but it doesnt fit my needs and I assume its the same for most others as well...

The signature and save copy options NEED to be beside the to/cc columns and not at the end of the text area.... this is very very important to me as Imight forget to check the bottom of the message...

have the HTML/smilies and what not at the end of the text area but the signature save copy options need to be on top colum as before.

Jinu Johnson

edit: dont know if its a bug or if its intended this way but when you click on an email ID right from the inbox, you go to the compose screen with the "To" field filled with a lot of junk for eg.
"NAME EDITED" <nameedited@something.com>

Last edited by injinuity : 5 Sep 2003 at 07:44 PM.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 08:01 PM   #7
petergh
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by injinuity
edit: dont know if its a bug or if its intended this way but when you click on an email ID right from the inbox, you go to the compose screen with the "To" field filled with a lot of junk for eg.
"NAME EDITED" <nameedited@something.com>
This doesn't happen to me with Windows XP/IE6...
Old 5 Sep 2003, 08:06 PM   #8
injinuity

sorry, forgot to mention that I'm on Opera 7.11

Jinu Johnson
Old 5 Sep 2003, 08:08 PM   #9
Onno

Quote:
I have done this three times with the same result - when I select three two are uploaded, when I select 5 three are uploaded.
That's very strange, doesn't happen for me. Which browser/OS are you using? Actually, it would be helpful if everyone who has problems can post their browser/OS and the problem description.

Quote:
have the HTML/smilies and what not at the end of the text area but the signature save copy options need to be on top colum as before.
I think it makes more sense to have the signature at the bottom. That's where it goes in the end, after all...
Old 5 Sep 2003, 08:12 PM   #10
PON
Essential Contributor

Rob, it looks great. However, the Insert Note doesn't seem to work yet. Nice idea though.

I like the positioning of the save copy, signature and insert note lists at the moment but I can understand the request to have them at the top. The simple solution (to me) is to put the send button close to those fields. And it's pretty close already.

One feature I'd like to see added is an OPTIONS button that would pull up a new window with some fields for

reply address
time and date for deferred delivery
Old 5 Sep 2003, 08:20 PM   #11
injinuity

Quote:
Originally posted by Onno
I think it makes more sense to have the signature at the bottom. That's where it goes in the end, after all...
I would agree with you if the signature was dynamic in nature.. I'm mean the signature clearly visible in the text area and when you change the profile the signature too automatically changes.
But this is not the case, often one forgets what the default signature is... we are used to rechecking the To/cc fields, so if these options were beside it, then it would be easier to notice and correct if necessary. I for one dont want to go all over the screen with a fine tooth comb before I send a message. Stuff that you need to recheck before sending should all be places together thus making it easier to notice ALL of em.

Jinu Johnson

P.S: On another note, would you mind adding a link to other folders, options screen etc on the compose screen rather than having to cancel and go back to the inbox screen everytime.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 08:37 PM   #12
leisuresuitlary

Quote:
Originally posted by Onno
That's very strange, doesn't happen for me. Which browser/OS are you using? Actually, it would be helpful if everyone who has problems can post their browser/OS and the problem description.
Avant, XP Pro

Larry
Old 5 Sep 2003, 08:48 PM   #13
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by PON
Rob, it looks great. However, the Insert Note doesn't seem to work yet. Nice idea though.
Works for me. What problem are you having? Browser/OS?
Old 5 Sep 2003, 08:50 PM   #14
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

One small point, when you swap to custom address the personality email address is put into the From field, which is good.

It would be better if it put in the full name and address.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 08:54 PM   #15
PON
Essential Contributor

Jeremy,

I'm using XP Professional and IE 6. However, I haven't tagged any notes for insertion, if that's needed that may explain why none show up on the list.
Closed Thread