EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Apr 2002, 12:32 AM   #1
geoff2

Time zone oddities

I live in Boston. Daylight Savings Time kicked in last night, so I changed my time zone in the preferences from Eastern Standard Time to Eastern Daylight Time (-0500 to -0400). However, the time given by Fastmail on the greetings screen is now one hour ahead -- e.g., when I logged in at 11:30, it said that it was exactly half past noon. Anyone else have similar problems?

- geoff
geoff2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Apr 2002, 12:41 AM   #2
jhs
Essential Contributor

Re: Time zone oddities

Yes, same for me.

Something related. I live in Europe and we got summer time last weekend. I was actually surprised that FastMail didn't figure that out itself. My unix account did adjust to summer time by itself. In both FastMail and unix I have the timezone set to CET.
jhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2002, 12:52 AM   #3
munchkin

I don't know about those daylight times I can set in Fastmail. My account is set to display CST, -0600 GMT and thats the current time, 10.51AM.
munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2002, 01:30 AM   #4
sr_

Yes, same error here. Changed from EST -0500 to EDT -0400. The greetings screen is an hour ahead at -0300.
sr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2002, 03:25 AM   #5
nic76
Essential Contributor

i didn't alter it, i checked and it is running correct, i guess the timezones are correct again
nic76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2002, 03:55 AM   #6
DanAtkinson

I switched from EST to CDT to correct for daylight savings time and noticed that both the last login and the Polling Window clock are an hour early now.

The login clock (eg 'It's exactly five to three in the afternoon') is right, though.
DanAtkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2002, 04:09 AM   #7
psalzer

Ok, I'm confused. I changed to EDT and the polling window is right and the login is an hour ahead. Is that in line with the other errors?
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2002, 04:14 AM   #8
geoff2

psalzer,

Yes, my login window is an hour fast. I don't use the polling window, so I can't comment on it.

- geoff
geoff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2002, 05:03 AM   #9
lux
The "e" in e-mail

I didn't change anything. The welcome screen shows the correct time but the poll window is an hour behind...

I think everything should be changed automatically...
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2002, 06:46 AM   #10
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

I'm confused too! I'll have a look see what's happening here...
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2002, 09:18 AM   #11
lux
The "e" in e-mail

By the way, "Your last successful login" is one hour behind also... (I didn't change my time zone setting)...

If you log out and immediately login again, you will see it...
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2002, 01:52 PM   #12
VinceS

Hmm, could one of the servers possibly set itself to daylight savings time? It appears that the last successful login message and the welcome message in the mailbox screen rely on the same time settings, but one of them seems to have set itself for daylight savings while the other did not. Very strange...
VinceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2002, 08:36 AM   #13
NOVIANUS

Yes! I experienced and noticed just the very same problem 2 days ago. I had set the correct timezone, but, knowing that the time greeting was an hour ahead, I tried changing the timezone (just some experiment) and doing a couple of login/logout in sequence. I thought that there might be a little mistake in the program like gmt+7 means gmt+8 in which case I had to set my timezone to gmt+6 to get gmt+7 time mark. Unexpectedly, once I changed the timezone to (previous time zone -1), the time greeting still did not show the correct time - only this time was an hour lag behind. So I changed back the time zone and then it was all okay. I thought that it was only somekind of anomaly.

But this morning, I find another weird thing. The following is the time greeting:
"Welcome to FastMail. It's a little
after twenty-five to seven in the
morning .
Your last successful login was at
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 6:37 AM"

And the following is the <setting-poplinks> configuration:
Display name : my hotmail
Type : ...
Server : ...
Port : 80
User name : ...
Password :
Leave on server? : ...
Scheduled check? : every ...
Last checked : Sat, 30 Nov 2002 07:21:03 <-- take a look at this one
AM Clear retrieved msg ids? : ...

Isn't it the same kind of problem?

Well, I hope this feedback might give someone some point.

And of course, I hope that fastmail.fm will always be the best service. I salute the ppl behind for having achieved such great standard of mail service. (a praise to motivate )
NOVIANUS is offline   Reply With Quote