EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 2 Apr 2017, 05:09 PM   #526
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by digp View Post
Hello MX Route - where have you gone?
Hey there! I'm around. I've had to be a bit more disciplined with my time as I've taken on a team lead position at DigitalOcean. I've also added a new face to MXroute on the support side, Josh. One of the best decisions I've made in a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Recently signed up for MXRoute, which mostly seems to work well as advertised. I migrated emails to MXRoute via TransferMyEmail and it duplicated most (but not all) of the emails, just about doubling the size of my Inbox on MXRoute. I migrated the emails from a Gmail account and made sure not to select the All Mail folder and I had all labels turned off too. In any case, does anyone have any good ideas on how to dedupe thousands of emails? I have been using Horde, but I could switch to Roundcube or Squirrel if that makes a difference.
It doubled? Ouch. I can't think of a good way to automate that but I'd be interested in trying if you wanted to give me a shot at it. I'd probably use Linux-based tools on the files themselves rather than interacting with the email directly. Of course, I'd always take a backup of it first.

On a side note, in cPanel now is an "imapsync" icon that allows you to transfer email from one server to another over IMAP, no external service required

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
What are the "lot of changes" they're talking about?
New web design, panel design, and backup relays are no longer only deployed during an outage but instead fully active and 100% functional without the problems (increased incoming spam) caused by the original relays. Recovery from failures and prevention of email loss during failures are now entirely solved and automated. At this stage I need only observe the standard outage scenarios we've dealt with in the past as they occur and observe automation resolving them. They result in up to 5 minutes of downtime now and, as a result, have almost stopped occurring entirely.

Despite being busier than I was, bringing in Josh to help on support has left me more time to actually work on improving the service. I've really been enjoying it. Aside from that I've been able to be almost not present for MXroute for some time and as it grows it is my hope that I can continue to disconnect from the daily repetitive tasks of it and be around more for the big stuff. Dealing with both, as it scales, usually means being less effective at one or both. Scaling things while keeping them neighborly and personal has been the theme of this year thus far for me both with MXroute and in other capacities.

Quote:
MXRoute has 2FA for the account functions, but webmail does not. IMHO that is a pretty significant drawback. I am using them right now and the service seems reliable and good value for money, especially if you have lots of domains you need email for. Personally, I would never sign up for 10-year pricing for any tech service unless the price was so good that it competes with 2-year pricing. MXRoute's offer probably is good value if you look at it as a 2-year deal that could last longer if wanted. I have no faith in any tech company being around in 10 years--maybe by then email will be obsolete!
It's rough because you can't just implement 2FA on email and call it a day. The only way someone like Gmail gets away with it is that they're so popular people want to make popular email client applications that connect through their non-standard system. The only way to use IMAP, POP, or SMTP with Gmail and 2FA is to create passwords that are designed to be for a single application (so you don't re-use it everywhere). But even that still ends up being passwords that access your account without 2FA, so you really can't win if you want to use the standard email protocols to access your mail as there's just no accepted standard for 2FA on those protocols. It's time for new standard protocols, honestly. But the entire industry has to move on it together.

It's definitely a bold statement for me to say I'll be here in 10 years. I can't accurately say that I will and that's why MXroute has a path to continuation should I die tomorrow. But with this new diet and these two beautiful daughters to take care of I sure hope I'm around in 10 years. I know MXroute will be though. Without me Ryan would step in, and he would find a new business partner to continue down the same path.

I'm really excited about the launch of MXshared and the expansion of MXroute to London for lower latency to people in the region. Good stuff coming, a lot of it already here, and as always I'm around if you need anything

Last edited by jarland : 2 Apr 2017 at 05:14 PM.
jarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2017, 09:19 AM   #527
soromak
Cornerstone of the Community

Hi Jarland,
it seems that the recent cPanel does support iOS push for the mail:

iOS push notifications
Customers who receive mail from their cPanel-hosted email accounts can use push notifications rather than polling on Apple devices.

It seems it requires some admin work, do you plan to support it? It would be a ground breaking feature for many. So far only Fastmail has implemented it.
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2017, 05:29 PM   #528
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by soromak View Post
Hi Jarland,

iOS push notifications
Customers who receive mail from their cPanel-hosted email accounts can use push notifications rather than polling on Apple devices.

It seems it requires some admin work, do you plan to support it? It would be a ground breaking feature for many. So far only Fastmail has implemented it.
https://billing.mxroute.com/announcements.php?id=99
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2017, 05:35 AM   #529
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by soromak View Post
Hi Jarland,

iOS push notifications

I got the Mac Mini server all set up on a 100mbit line and ready to go, only to realize all it wanted was the certificate and doesn't actually need a Mac server to run the push. Now I have this lonely Mac server that needs a purpose in life...
Old 21 May 2017, 05:55 PM   #530
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Email Forward Filtering Reduced

https://billing.mxroute.com/announcements.php?id=100
Old 23 May 2017, 07:25 AM   #531
TenFour
Master of the @

What does it mean? I have been reliably forwarding emails forever from various accounts to Gmail and Outlook.com with no issues at all. It is the perfect solution for an email account you want to read, but have no need to send from.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 01:34 PM   #532
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
What does it mean? I have been reliably forwarding emails forever from various accounts to Gmail and Outlook.com with no issues at all. It is the perfect solution for an email account you want to read, but have no need to send from.
I assure you that you have not, you just haven't noticed the problems because the emails aren't that important to you. I have a flawless send reputation, but I get bounce emails from one of my customers who signed up with an outlook.com address, set it to forward to gmail, and gmail is sick of their forwards. They don't know, they don't care, I can't tell them because they forward email and now I can't email them. In their mind, their forwarder works fine, and if I can't get the invoices to them it's my problem. But it's not, it's theirs, they made a poor choice.

But you can't teach people this, it's like teaching an old dog a new trick. Email forwarding worked 10 years ago, most people don't notice that they don't get promo emails from the hotel they last visited or conduct important high volume business via their email, so they won't hear what I have to say, and they don't care if they contribute to email problems for everyone else by getting IP space rate limited or temp blocked. It's honestly annoying, but I'm tired of fighting with it. People want email to just work and they want it to just work like it did 10 years ago, and frankly that isn't possible. It doesn't anymore. Everything changed in the months following Yahoo's adoption of DMARC in late 2013. People want to cling to the past more than they want guaranteed inbox delivery, so I'm risking inbox delivery for them to a greater degree now to satisfy their desires. Hopefully it won't impact other customers too much because MailChannels just might be able to handle it.

Email forwarding only works for people who don't care. If your email is vital for your business, you're missing very important things. There is no other way that it can happen. Read this, and keep in mind that SRS doesn't totally fix all of this, it just provides a temporary bandaid for one single aspect of the problem:

http://archive.richweb.com/why_email...is_broken.html

Last edited by jarland : 24 May 2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 25 May 2017, 12:00 AM   #533
Cory
Essential Contributor

I highly recommend if you want to forward, instead setup POP pulling on the account that you use. I use a Gmail account and I have my accounts hosted on MXRoute POP'ed into it.
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 07:21 AM   #534
TenFour
Master of the @

I just checked and every email that has arrived in my Outlook.com account for May has been successfully forwarded to my Gmail account. Some of the emails are considered spam by Gmail, but they are all there. Only about 50 of them for May. I also checked another email account I have forwarding from another service and everything is showing up in Gmail. As I wrote, I have been doing this for years and I don't recall ever losing an email, and yes, I do check the other email accounts fairly regularly. But, yes, I try to only use these other accounts for emails that are not of major importance.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 02:51 AM   #535
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
I just checked and every email that has arrived in my Outlook.com account for May has been successfully forwarded to my Gmail account.
Consider my customer who doesn't get my emails because Google is blocking part of Microsoft's IP space due to excessive forwarded spam. Maybe your forwarder is why, and in a lucky roll of the dice you're not the one effected by it. Out of sight, out of mind.

This is why consistent email delivery is increasingly difficult for some people, because you can't offer email services without pandering to the "I've been doing it this way for decades" guy who isn't interested in your explanation of why he needs to adapt to a new reality that he doesn't care about. I get it though, I do, but it's companies like Yahoo, Microsoft, and Google making these changes to the industry. The rest can either play ball or ignore customer complaints. All because people who should probably just be using aliases insist on forwarding email.

Last edited by jarland : 26 May 2017 at 03:02 AM.
Old 27 May 2017, 06:52 PM   #536
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

MXroute Australia

@MXroute on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/MXroute/status/868370520684843009

Australia launch! 15GB storage, unlimited everything else, $10/year
Old 24 Jun 2017, 02:56 PM   #537
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Email Phishing Campaign

https://mxstatus.co/incident/10

Today we noticed that a new customer had begun a phishing campaign in our name. They signed up using a stolen credit card and a VPN. They proceeded to send email to a little over 1,000 people (not necessarily customers of ours, just random people) claiming the email to be from service@mxroute.com. For this reason, while weighing possible options to prevent such a thing in the future, we will be re-enabling a feature disabled some time ago due to user request. You will not be able to adjust a From header, our mail server will rewrite it to match the account that you are logged in with. This is to discourage customers from spoofing email from other customer domains, including ours, while passing SPF checks. I'm afraid this is not negotiable.

If you see an email from service@mxroute.com, it is NOT us. The subject of this email was "We are not able to connect with you, check our privacy policy updates."
Old 25 Jun 2017, 05:58 AM   #538
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
https://mxstatus.co/incident/10

Today we noticed that a new customer had begun a phishing campaign in our name. They signed up using a stolen credit card and a VPN. They proceeded to send email to a little over 1,000 people (not necessarily customers of ours, just random people) claiming the email to be from service@mxroute.com. For this reason, while weighing possible options to prevent such a thing in the future, we will be re-enabling a feature disabled some time ago due to user request. You will not be able to adjust a From header, our mail server will rewrite it to match the account that you are logged in with. This is to discourage customers from spoofing email from other customer domains, including ours, while passing SPF checks. I'm afraid this is not negotiable.

If you see an email from service@mxroute.com, it is NOT us. The subject of this email was "We are not able to connect with you, check our privacy policy updates."
The reality of how scary this is, it's something I've held close to my chest for a while. All you really need for solid inbox delivery is to pass SPF checks, and average recipients won't check for DKIM pass. No loss for sending without DKIM signature because no header = no check, the header defines how it should be checked.

So SPF is king and DKIM is a flawed standard that never amounted to much. Now consider how many companies include major mail providers in their SPF records (me and all customers included). It means you can't trust emails for passing SPF, and you shouldn't even consider DKIM unless you've specifically worked out with a sender that you should always look for it. The end result is that spoofing emails that pass the most relevant check, for a LOT of companies, is painfully simple.

I think the only answer is to always outline expectations with your customers, to say what you will and will not request of them via email. An old tactic, but probably the best one to date. Creative solutions around this kind of problem are fresh on my mind right now, as it's obvious I've reached a point that someone would seek to target my customers specifically, or at least to capitalize on my name.
Old 29 Jun 2017, 05:23 PM   #539
hans2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarland View Post
it's companies like Yahoo, Microsoft, and Google making these changes to the industry. The rest can either play ball or ignore customer complaints. All because people who should probably just be using aliases insist on forwarding email.
I appreciate your comments in this thread. I created a new thread ("Mail forwarding: good or bad?") in another forum section ("The Technical Zone"). FYI.

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=72802
hans2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2017, 05:44 PM   #540
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

MXshared Service Shutting Down

Quote from Jarland:

I have some bad news to announce about the MXshared platform. As most of you know, this operation is a side operation for MXroute, our primary brand (email hosting). Recently MXroute has grown to the point that it is beginning to shift in the scale of workload, requiring more work per client than it did in the first few years of it's service. As a result, the MXshared brand represents a major problem. I am being unfair to my customers of MXshared and MXroute by continuing this secondary product/brand. As much as it pains me to shut it down, I truly feel that this is best for everyone. I cannot devote the time necessary to run this brand, and if I take the time anyway then I take it from MXroute.

The MXshared brand will be shutting down November 30. Until that time, we will not be issuing any invoices or processing any renewals, terminations, or cancellations. All billing automation is halted, the service stands as-is. Feel free to cancel any PayPal subscriptions. All services that are paid for beyond the end of September will be refunded in full on or shortly after November 30. I intend to make sure that no one faces any unfair scenario in this shutdown. In no way do I intend to keep money that is owed back to you for paying for service that will not be rendered as a result of this shutdown.

For web hosting, we highly recommend ImpactShared as a replacement. You can find their site here: https://impactshared.com

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to provide you with web hosting. I sincerely apologize that I was not able to uphold my side of the bargain, and will do everything in my power to make sure that you feel you were taken care of during this process.