EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 10 Feb 2003, 06:57 PM   #31
UnknownWarrior

Talking of irc, I remember having read in some old thread there was some discussion about using an irc channel for fastmail.fm users. Are there any plans of implementing it in the future?
UnknownWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2003, 12:21 AM   #32
flashbang
Essential Contributor

stuff with telnet

I'm sorry, I followed jeremy's advice, and googled for RFC IMAP, and RFC SMTP, I am seriously having problems with telnet. I cant even see the text I'm typing! And the sites that do list the specs for telnet, I cant find the commands to use to read mail etc. I can just access the page, and it tells me how many messages are in the inbox. I dont know what the commands to read, and send mail. Can anyone help with a tutorial or even a URL? thanks
Questions/Comments from a loyal user
flashbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2003, 12:50 AM   #33
Isaac
Essential Contributor

flashbang,

The reason you can't find these commands where you find telnet information is that telnet isn't a mail program, or even related. Telnet is just a way to connect to any machine on the Internet. The stuff Jeremy and others have been describing uses telnet to connect to the IMAP port of the fastmail servers, sending the same kinds of commands that an IMAP mail program would send to the server. (You could also use it to connect directly to other ports, like POP or SMTP.) From there you need to know how to use IMAP. You need to google for IMAP information, not for telnet information. Or, try starting at www.imap.org.

Also, if you can't see what you're typing, you might want to download a different telnet program.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2003, 12:58 AM   #34
norbs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Isaac
Also, if you can't see what you're typing, you might want to download a different telnet program.
Also, there is a preference in most emulators called "Local Echo" - make sure this is ticked, and that you have connected....
norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2003, 05:55 AM   #35
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

I suggest downloading TeraTerm from here: http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html . You'll see it hasn't been updated for 4 years - that's because it just works!

Once you've downloaded it, run the program, and select 'Other' from the services options, and type in the server name and port. You should find it all works fine.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2003, 06:35 AM   #36
sjk
Master of the @

I like PuTTY. See discussion in Unable to share folders.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2004, 12:36 AM   #37
mlevin
Cornerstone of the Community

haven't heard much about sharing in a while...

A few questions since it's been a while since there was a message in this thread and I'm not sure what's been changed or upgraded since then:[list=1][*]Does this still have to be enabled explicitly for enhanced accounts?[*]Is there still no GUI for this?[*]Do I have to add each person I want to share it with manually?[*]Do all accounts have to be on the same server? What if they are not? How do I resolve this?[*]Does only the sharing account have to be enhanced?[*]Now that usernames have the domains, do I need to share with user@fmdomain.tld instead of just user?[*]Is it still the case that the replied-to flag is shared but the read/unread flag is not? For my purposes, I'd like to use the read/unread flag to let the people I'm sharing with know whether or not a message needs to be answered (for a poor man's support/helpdesk setup).[*]Is there any downside to removing the INBOX prefix from my Outlook Express setup?[/list=1]

Thanks
mlevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2004, 05:09 AM   #38
kurianja
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Re: haven't heard much about sharing in a while...

[quote]Originally posted by mlevin
A few questions since it's been a while since there was a message in this thread and I'm not sure what's been changed or upgraded since then:[list=1][*]Does this still have to be enabled explicitly for enhanced accounts?

Yes.
[*]Is there still no GUI for this?

Not on the fm, unfortunately... Mulberry lets you do this using a GUI
[*]Do I have to add each person I want to share it with manually?

Yes
[*]Do all accounts have to be on the same server? What if they are not? How do I resolve this?

The accounts should be on the same server. If they are not, the folders will not be visible. You can mail support to ensure the accounts are on the same server.
[*]Does only the sharing account have to be enhanced?

Yes.
[*]Now that usernames have the domains, do I need to share with user@fmdomain.tld instead of just user?

The username without doman is required.
[*]Is it still the case that the replied-to flag is shared but the read/unread flag is not? For my purposes, I'd like to use the read/unread flag to let the people I'm sharing with know whether or not a message needs to be answered (for a poor man's support/helpdesk setup).

I am not entirely sure on this, but I think the seen/unseen status is not shared, while the answered flag is shared..
[*]Is there any downside to removing the INBOX prefix from my Outlook Express setup?

No downsides. I believe you have to remove the INBOX to get the shared folders displayed, since the shared folders are on the 'user' namespace.
[/b]
kurianja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2004, 02:45 AM   #39
mlevin

Re: Re: haven't heard much about sharing in a while...

Quote:
Originally posted by kurianja
Now that usernames have the domains, do I need to share with user@fmdomain.tld instead of just user?

The username without doman is required.
how does that work? I thought that since the domain split, at which point user1@fmdomain1 and user1@fmdomain2 became different accounts, you always have to qualify with a domain?

if I just share with user1, how can I be sure that only user1@fmdomain1 can see my folder and user1@fmdomain2 cannot?
Old 22 Oct 2004, 04:21 AM   #40
kurianja
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Username on one domain still locks out the same name for the rest of the domains. These will be freed only with the final phase of the doman split..
Old 24 Apr 2006, 11:19 AM   #41
DaveHanson

bump, thanks to the helpful tip from Shelded in http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...&postid=371583 . It would be interesting to hear more about how people are using this, and how tweaks on FM's end have improved its functionality.
DaveHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2009, 07:37 AM   #42
mlevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Howard View Post
This post contains technical suggestions which may turn you into a total nerd even by reading it. You have been warned. Do not try this at home unless it's already too late for you...

Edit:The following only works if you have an enhanced account, and you have emailed support@fastmail.fm to request the feature be turned on.

OK, you know that annoying thing where everything appears as a subfolder of inbox unless you fiddle with your mail software? Well the reason for that is that you can actually look at other people's folders too, so to keep them separate from your folders they get popped under a separate "namespace".

Rob and I both look at the webmaster mailbox. We both like to look at this folder. But it's a pain to have to logout and login again to another account. So what I do is I go into the webmaster mailbox and set access permissions for Rob and I, so we can view it without logging out of our personal accounts. More interesting is that you may just want to share one of your folders with a friend or family member and not your whole account--with this approach you can just share certain folders with certain people, and even give some permission only to read, some to delete messages, etc. For each person which messages are seen/unseen are tracked separately too!

If you have a fancy IMAP client like Mulberry you can do this with a graphical interface--check the documentation. If you have a time-machine go into the future a few months and use the web interface we'll have then. Everyone else, here's how to directly manipulate the server to change your access permissions...

Choose Start->Run, type "telnet fastmail.fm 143", and click OK (Mac OS X users open the terminal, Linux/Unix users fire up an xterm, and type the telnet command). Now to log in type ". login username password" (note that all these commands start with a full stop followed by a space character). Next ". setacl foldername otherusername rights". "foldername" is the folder you want to share; it could be "INBOX", or for any other folder it will be "INBOX.foldername" (remember everything is under INBOX). "otherusername" is the fastmail user you are giving rights to. "rights" is for instance 'lrswipcda', where the characters correspond to:
Code:
   l - lookup (mailbox is visible to LIST/LSUB commands)
   r - read (SELECT the mailbox, perform CHECK, FETCH, PARTIAL,
       SEARCH, COPY from mailbox)
   s - keep seen/unseen information across sessions (STORE SEEN flag)
   w - write (STORE flags other than SEEN and DELETED)
   i - insert (perform APPEND, COPY into mailbox)
   p - post (send mail to submission address for mailbox,
       not enforced by IMAP4 itself)
   c - create (CREATE new sub-mailboxes in any implementation-defined
       hierarchy)
   d - delete (STORE DELETED flag, perform EXPUNGE)
   a - administer (perform SETACL)
Finally type ". logout".

OK, now you've shared your folders, how does your friend view them. Well, if they log into the web interface, they'll automatically see "user.yourname" added to their folder lists. If they use OE, they must remove "INBOX" from the "Root Folder Path" property, and reset their folder list when prompted. Then in the folder list that pops up the new folder well be listed--just click "show", and "goto".
Looks like this doesn't work anymore (at least for individual accounts) -- is that because there are now business/family accounts? It appears that my "a"dmin flag has been turned off...
Old 20 Aug 2009, 02:13 PM   #43
kurianja
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Send in a support ticket. Support be able to enable admin rights for your account.

There are some other considerations for folder sharing to work - you should be on the same backend server as the account to which you want to enable folder sharing. So include the names of the other account(s) as well in your ticket, so support can move all the accounts on to the same server.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 02:54 AM   #44
mlevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurianja View Post
Send in a support ticket. Support be able to enable admin rights for your account.

There are some other considerations for folder sharing to work - you should be on the same backend server as the account to which you want to enable folder sharing. So include the names of the other account(s) as well in your ticket, so support can move all the accounts on to the same server.
Cool, thanks!
Old 24 Aug 2009, 01:23 AM   #45
Shelded

And if you have a mixture of really old accounts and newer ones you will get the old ones changed in some way. I have forgotten what it was, perhaps it was something to do with the underscore in my username. I know this is vague, it's an attempt to fully disclose for anyone with a really old account.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote