EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 9 Aug 2007, 07:39 PM   #166
neilj
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Theatre actually, or a musical to be more precise. Stephen Sondheim's Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Our website: http://www.sweeney2007fringe.co.uk/

Shameless plug:

We've been standing ovations and rave reviews since we opened last week, most notably in The Scotsman (a national newspaper) who gave us 4 stars and said 'rarely has the tale been told better'; if you're in Edinburgh do come see us. We're on every night until the 18th August at 7.15pm in C Too venue, up by the Castle.

Neil
neilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2007, 09:17 PM   #167
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilj View Post
Follow the link to see what Neil looks like.

Congrats on the reviews. From my login name you can probably guess that the commute might be too much to catch a performance... I'll look for the bootleg online... :P

/CL
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2007, 11:19 PM   #168
Chipper
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
Follow the link to see what Neil looks like./CL
He doesn't look anything like what I had imagined. (Don't you love when people say that? ) Perhaps you could send a copy to DBH to add to the EMD photo page.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2007, 04:56 AM   #169
neilmundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
He doesn't look anything like what I had imagined. (Don't you love when people say that? ) Perhaps you could send a copy to DBH to add to the EMD photo page.
I know what you mean....
neilmundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2007, 12:48 PM   #170
zhak
Master of the @

A few requests to consider about the compose screen.

1) Give the Compose title a class so it can be hidden by css (duplicates the top menu which tells you that you are on the compose screen).

2) Keep the current quicklist. Even if it is hidden in the default css, so if a user prefers they can keep the sidebar minimized and access the quicklist as usual.

3) Make the sidebar stay minimized unless clicked on. Make the minimized vertical appearance similar to a sidebar groups' horizontal minimized appearance.

4) Put all the message buttons on one row. Otherwise, once the HTML editors' toolbar is included, the compose area will begin below the midpoint of the screen. In the current mockups, the two rows of buttons are defined in HTML so cannot be fixed by css.

The benefit of a large compose area is that one is able to see much or all of the entire message during review before send, regardless of how it will reflow when the recipient views it.

These requests are all shown in one of my earlier screenshots.

Thanks.

-Jim
zhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2007, 06:53 AM   #171
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhak View Post
The benefit of a large compose area is that one is able to see much or all of the entire message during review before send, regardless of how it will reflow when the recipient views it.
A bit OT:
In the current interface there is a "preview" action on the Compose screen in HTML mode. I use it very often (always if I don't forget to) and it is quite necessary because the browser based html editors are not very reliable. I mentioned several times that this screen can be improved to include more about the message. I think this should be a standard action in all compose modes to allow the user to review the message before sending, and show everything, including what's attached, where it would be filed, the added signature etc., that is serve as a checkout point where the user makes sure that everything's OK before sending. In the discussion of delayed sending some people wanted to be able to have email delayed a few minutes in an "Outbox" before being sent so they can go back and fix it if they remember they forgot something. I think a "preview before send" is a good substitute for this for most people. It works for me: I find mistakes that I don't see in the Compose screen, even though they were there. I don't fully understand the psychology behind this but it works.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2007, 07:31 PM   #172
d4rkn1ght

Older Browsers

This is how Fastmail looks on older browsers

Here’s how the new mockup inbox looks on Netscape 4.x:

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9...astmailhu3.gif

Here’s how it currently looks:

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6...stmail2ii7.gif

I don’t use Netscape, but I thought people would want to see how it looks on older browsers, and for those that still use them to have an idea how it will look.
d4rkn1ght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2007, 03:01 AM   #173
rabarberski
Master of the @

A very tiny suggestion for the inbox view : I think it makes more sense to right-align the values in the Size column, instead of the current left-align.
rabarberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2007, 09:25 AM   #174
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
I'm not really worried about NS4. Basically no one uses it, and apart from the popup action menu being rendered just as text (need to work that out), it's still visible and viewable at least, even if it's not pretty.

The basic premise I think should be that it works well for 95% of people, and for the other 5%, it still works, even if it's not quite as pretty...

I like the right align of size idea.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2007, 11:00 AM   #175
d4rkn1ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmueller View Post
I'm not really worried about NS4. Basically no one uses it, and apart from the popup action menu being rendered just as text (need to work that out), it's still visible and viewable at least, even if it's not pretty.

The basic premise I think should be that it works well for 95% of people, and for the other 5%, it still works, even if it's not quite as pretty...
Agree!

Although; It will be nice if browsers that don’t support the new design will default to the old/current design. Kind of like GMail does with their basic HTML view.
d4rkn1ght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2007, 05:36 PM   #176
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmueller View Post
I'm not really worried about NS4. Basically no one uses it, ...
After reading that post I actually downloaded Mosaic and wanted to make screenshots with it

(but then seeing it is an installer and not just a working exe file that doesn't require installation with admin account I decided not to load my poor registry with more crap).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2007, 06:17 PM   #177
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
After reading that post I actually downloaded Mosaic and wanted to make screenshots with it

(but then seeing it is an installer and not just a working exe file that doesn't require installation with admin account I decided not to load my poor registry with more crap).

One could always have the code automatically revert to the old style for older browsers.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2007, 03:55 PM   #178
rabarberski
Master of the @

Suggestion:
I know this seems very subjective, but please make the default color a bit more cheerful than the current grey.
"Smart"/geek users will easily find how to change it to whatever color they want (including the current grey). But you don't want to turn away less technical minded people who, I presume, generally would expect a bit more "color".
rabarberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2007, 06:23 PM   #179
Abydos
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabarberski View Post
Suggestion:
I know this seems very subjective, but please make the default color a bit more cheerful than the current grey.
"Smart"/geek users will easily find how to change it to whatever color they want (including the current grey). But you don't want to turn away less technical minded people who, I presume, generally would expect a bit more "color".
Extremely good point. Something more cheerful than grey gets my vote too.
Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2007, 10:04 PM   #180
snsh
Cornerstone of the Community

For the new mockup, consider using greyish colors instead brighter colors, because on LCD with subpixel rendering (e.g. Cleartype), you really want shaded text on shaded backgrounds. Bright, pure red/green/blue text uses only a about a third of the horizontal resolution on an LD, because the LCD is made of red, green, blue, and black stripes. Black on white text on and LCD can staddle the stripes better, giving brighter contrast and sharper text.

Also, the best default fonts for the mockup would be "lightly hinted fonts" like Segoe, Cambria, Consolas, Constantia, etc. Superhinted fonts like Verdana, Arial, and Times do not look as nice with subpixel rendering. I don't know what would be the ideal default font for Mac and Linux.
snsh is offline   Reply With Quote