EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 6 Nov 2014, 03:01 AM   #1
17pm
Cornerstone of the Community

Mailfence - Provider for those who value privacy

Hey there,

I recently came across this e-mail provider:

https://mailfence.com/

It asks to "Keep this confidential. Only tell your closest friends".. Perhaps I shouldn't have created this thread..

Meh, let's just keep this link out of reach from Americans and Australians, shall we?
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Nov 2014, 03:07 AM   #2
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17pm View Post
Meh, let's just keep this link out of reach from Americans and Australians, shall we?
Well too late for that. I just called up the NSA. Drones are on their way.
jarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2014, 11:24 AM   #3
rmannam

Contactoffice.com and Mail.be are also owned by the same.

Last edited by rmannam : 7 Nov 2014 at 12:27 PM.
rmannam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2014, 01:33 AM   #4
zdt

mailfence needs my current email

I never even register with a free email provider that asks for my other email address...
zdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2014, 12:15 AM   #5
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdt View Post
I never even register with a free email provider that asks for my other email address...
I understand the wish for privacy (and it is certainly a good idea to avoid providers that ask intrusive questions or seek personal information), but refusing on principle to consider any service that requests an alternate email (for a confirmation link at registration, for example) will needlessly exclude you from trying many perfectly good services. If you have an aversion to giving out a "real" email address, why not use one of the many services that provide disposable addresses for precisely this sort of purpose? Or, if you think you might actually find a "real" email link with a new provider useful at some future time (for password recovery perhaps, or to write to support about your account if some technical problem or outage prevents you from sending directly from the account), why not create a "sterile" account at a free provider that you use exclusively for this sort of thing and for nothing else? You could think of it as your own private "disposable" address, but with the added benefit of actually being reusable if the need ever arose.

Last edited by communicant : 9 Nov 2014 at 12:22 AM.
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2016, 02:11 AM   #6
Mailfence

Representative of:
Mailfence.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by communicant View Post
I understand the wish for privacy (and it is certainly a good idea to avoid providers that ask intrusive questions or seek personal information), but refusing on principle to consider any service that requests an alternate email (for a confirmation link at registration, for example) will needlessly exclude you from trying many perfectly good services. If you have an aversion to giving out a "real" email address, why not use one of the many services that provide disposable addresses for precisely this sort of purpose? Or, if you think you might actually find a "real" email link with a new provider useful at some future time (for password recovery perhaps, or to write to support about your account if some technical problem or outage prevents you from sending directly from the account), why not create a "sterile" account at a free provider that you use exclusively for this sort of thing and for nothing else? You could think of it as your own private "disposable" address, but with the added benefit of actually being reusable if the need ever arose.
Thank you @communicant, for enlightening other users with your viewpoint - which indeed is logical and addresses the question on rational grounds.
Also (for everyone), check this thread for more details on Mailfence. Moreover, our blog, twitter and reddit will also keep you updated.
Regards,
Mailfence Team
Mailfence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Aug 2016, 01:42 AM   #7
Mailfence

Representative of:
Mailfence.com
Update.

Check 'How do we do it' and 'High-Level security analysis' of Mailfence, for having detailed and practical insights behind those complex crypto operations.
Mailfence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2016, 09:42 AM   #8
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailfence View Post
Thank you @communicant, for enlightening other users with your viewpoint - which indeed is logical and addresses the question on rational grounds.
Also (for everyone), check this thread for more details on Mailfence. Moreover, our blog, twitter and reddit will also keep you updated.
Regards,
Mailfence Team

Can I double-check with you about the inactivity limit?

You'd said 7 months, but I'm pretty sure I saw a 2 months limit stated on your website. That meager 2 months was a major downside for me.

"Free accounts are therefore suspended after 60 days of inactivity and totally deleted after 90 days."
https://www.mailfence.com/c/mailfence/more/faq.jsp
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Aug 2023, 03:10 AM   #9
emebrs
Essential Contributor

If you sign up, keep in mind that a recovery address cannot be changed without payment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webecedarian View Post
"Free accounts are therefore suspended after 60 days of inactivity and totally deleted after 90 days."
https://www.mailfence.com/c/mailfence/more/faq.jsp
I think this timeframe has been extended.

Last edited by emebrs : 2 Aug 2023 at 03:11 AM. Reason: formatting
emebrs is offline   Reply With Quote