EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 12 May 2011, 06:35 AM   #1
contributor

inbox displays text of emails, not titles

I recently switched to myfastmail and while my sent mail displays the titles of my emails as it should my inbox is now displaying the text of my most recent few letters rather than the titles.
What can I do to get my inbox to stop displaying the text of my letters when I open it and to display only the titles as they appear in my sent mail?
contributor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 May 2011, 12:35 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Edit Folders settings

Go to the Options>Folders screen and do the following:
  • Click the Edit link associated with the folder you want to change (such as Inbox) in the list at the bottom portion of the screen.
  • Change Preview to None.
  • You can also change other settings for a folder on this screen.
  • When you are finished making your changes, click Save Properties at the bottom.
  • Then click the Mailbox tab at the upper left of the screen to return to the normal Inbox display.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 05:57 AM   #3
contributor

no edit box

Thank you for attempting to assist me in overcoming my problem with my inbox dispaying the text of the messages rather than the titles. However this presents another problem.
You suggest that I click the Edit box at the bottom of the screen. There is no Edit box at the bottom of my screen. When I click on More Actions a list of actions appears but Edit is not contained anywhere in this list.
I would very much like to click this button but it does not exist on my screen.
Is it possible that being a paid client while I am not your screen has more options listed on it than my screen does?
Old 13 May 2011, 07:45 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Smile Step by step details

Sorry my post was misunderstood. This has nothing to do with the "More actions..." control. You need to follow these more complete instructions:
  • At the top of the screen you should see the major Fastmail screen buttons: Mailbox, Compose, Address Book, Notepad, Files, and Options.
  • Click the Options button (last one at the right) with your mouse.
  • You should now see a screen labeled "Options" at the top. In the leftmost column, click the Folders selection.
  • You should now see a screen labeled "Folders" at the top.
    • In the lower portion of the Folders screen, you should see a list containing each folder you have in your Fastmail account mailbox.
    • After each of the folder names you should see an Edit link.
    • Click the Edit link for the Inbox folder. This allows you to change many features of that folder.
      • Change the Preview selection (fourth choice down from the top) to None.
      • Click the Save Properties button near the bottom of the screen.
      • Click the Mailbox button near the upper left of the screen to return to the normal list of your messages.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2011, 06:07 AM   #5
contributor

switching inbox text display to title display successful

I was in a hurry yesterday as I had almost run out of time on the library computers so I did not realize tnat you were speaking about the Options screen until later when I read the printout.
I followed the instructions and the problem is solved. It was the term "folders" which threw me off at first. I had assumed that "folders" referred to collections of mail from or by one person or on one specific subject. None of the 6 email services that I have had in the past 5 years had ever explained that the inbox and I assume the sent mail screens were also described as folders.