EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 31 Mar 2022, 09:35 PM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Protonmail notification emails listed as dangerous

I have a Protonmail account that sends a notification to a Gmail account of mine each time when I have received new messages in my Protonmail account.

For many months, this has worked flawlessly, but now suddenly Gmail marks these emails as dangerous. They say these type of messages are often used to steal personal information, and recommend against clicking any links in the message.

I don't get this. Protonmail is a respected and trusted email provider, why would these messages be "dangerous"? Did anyone else encounter a similar issue?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31 Mar 2022, 09:52 PM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

There are lots of phishing attacks circulating that perfectly mimic legitimate messages from companies. My rule of thumb is never click links in email messages. Instead, go direct to ProtonMail and check your account.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2022, 10:32 PM   #3
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
There are lots of phishing attacks circulating that perfectly mimic legitimate messages from companies. My rule of thumb is never click links in email messages. Instead, go direct to ProtonMail and check your account.
100% agree.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2022, 03:06 AM   #4
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I would never just click on such message in order to read my emails, I'd go directly to Protonmail website and log in from there.

I still find it odd that those mails from Proton(mail) are listed as spam. The email addresses they were sent from are no-reply(AT)notify.protonmail.com and no-reply(AT)mail.proton.me in more recent emails. I notified Google that this email address is safe and that this isn't spam. I hope I did the right thing by that. Can anyone verify the email address I get my notifications from each time a new email arrives in Protonmail, and confirm the email address is legit?

That said, I always go to the Protonmail website and log in from there to check my emails. But I think it's not fair towards such good provider that their notifications are considered spam, hence I reported to Google that these emails should not be treated as spam.
Old 20 Jun 2022, 04:51 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Anyone can spoof the FROM address when they generate an email. Filtering is mainly based on the IP address of the server which sends the message to the recipient server and the message content.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2022, 04:37 AM   #6
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Anyone can spoof the FROM address when they generate an email. Filtering is mainly based on the IP address of the server which sends the message to the recipient server and the message content.

Bill
True, but it would take an incredibly persistent scammer to keep sending mails multiple times per week for months in a row, all with the same "from" address and same email content...

On Reddit, someone suggested that maybe Google lists such emails as spam because they dislike the idea of someone moving over to Proton or other such mail providers. Without saying Google are saints, but I find that hard to believe. Sounds a tiny bit like a bad conspiracy theory. Google has so many users as it is that I find it hard to believe they'd worry about someone being lurked to a competitor (as far as Proton isn't different enough to be called a true competitor, IMO the product they offer is different, even when there are some similarities)