EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

View Poll Results: Rest in Peace?
I hadn't even thought about it 4 66.67%
I have made legal provision for it 0 0%
I'm not bothered what happens with it 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 Apr 2012, 03:58 AM   #16
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

Interesting topic. My answer is that I don't care.

Anyone I care about in my offline life will find out soon enough if I'm gone. Whoever is in charge of settling my affairs will be able to take my death certificate to a physical branch of my bank to retrieve any money I may have left. No need to leave them with my online banking password. They'll have enough clues already, like my bank card and all those paper statements lying around at my home.

MP3 files? Seriously? I'm not even sure if it's legal to pass them on as an inheritance, since technically I don't own them. I just obtained permission from the copyright holder to listen to them from time to time, and that license is usually not transferable. Stupid DRM. In any case, it's not like my hard drive dies with me. (Unless it's destroyed in the same accident that kills me, in which case it's gone anyway.)

E-mail accounts will eventually reach their inactivity limit (or expire if paid) and get deactivated. If Google is going to reveal them to anyone who presents them with a death certificate, that's just one more reason to stay away from Google. Kudos to Yahoo for sticking to principles. I wonder what other providers' take on the issue is.

The idea is that if I wanted anybody to know something I said in an e-mail, I would have made it known, e.g. by forwarding it to them. If there was something I wanted to keep private in life, it's most likely because it's nobody else's business. It won't suddenly become their business just because I stopped functioning.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2012, 09:12 AM   #17
chrisretusn

Quote:
Originally Posted by communicant View Post
BTW, I was a surprised to read that Gmail is willing to provide copies of emails to the executor of the estate of a deceased subscriber.
Doesn't the executor of the estate have access to things like safe deposit boxes. Why shouldn't they have access to the decease email accounts? I fail to see a difference. especially is the executor is named in the will.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2012, 01:57 AM   #18
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Remember laws vary from country to country. I never heard of accessing mailboxes and emails of a deceased person here in Europe (which doesn't mean it doesn't happen, I may just have missed such news)

In some countries privacy is very low and the government looks into whatever they want (even when you are alive and kicking) ; in some other countries you'd need to specifically mention in your will that your emails are saved and shown to someone you've left behind.

While I understand the concerns involved, I'm more concerned about my posessions while alive than whatever may happen when I'm dead. I won't be there to complain about it or even know it anyway... I do care about the intellectual property of my artistic work, but since this is not created or passed through email and since this has been regulated already via another legal way ...
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Sep 2012, 02:32 AM   #19
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Time to resurrect this gloomy topic.... Do You Have a Digital Estate Plan?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2013, 04:20 PM   #20
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Hello, it's me again, reviving morbid subjects....
Quote:
Google will allow users to decide what happens to their data after they die or become inactive online, the first major company to deal with the sensitive issue.
The feature applies to email, social network Google Plus and other accounts.
Users can choose to delete data after a set period of time, or pass it on to specific people.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22119227
Old 13 Apr 2013, 04:12 PM   #21
kijinbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Hello, it's me again, reviving morbid subjects....
If you revive a morbid subject, is it morbid anymore?

By the way, the "new" Google policy just seems to be a customizable inactivity limit. You don't even have to be dead for the limit to be triggered. And the article still doesn't mention what would happen if your executor actually sent Google a copy of your death certificate and a request to access your account. Will Google deny the request if your settings disallow disclosure? What if your last will contradicts your Google settings?
Old 13 Apr 2013, 05:06 PM   #22
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijinbear View Post
What if your last will contradicts your Google settings?
Good point....
I guess it's analogous to a possible totally off-line scenario: you promise (may be in writing) that your daughter will receive your villa in the Bahamas, yacht included, on her 18 birthday. You die before the said birthday and she finds in your will that all your wealth goes to an animal shelter. Which disposition takes precedence? I bet it varies from country to country...
Old 15 Apr 2013, 03:34 AM   #23
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

I register my writings as intellectual property, which is valid until 70 years past the death of the author. The deposited works are archived (this is why the governmental service dealing with this matter charges for every creation you enter into the depot). That's enough for me. What happens to random not very important stuff after my death is the least of my worries. Making the most of what comes before death is a more important issue.

"Let go of the spirit of the departed, and continue your life's celebration"
(a quote that I would rank amongst the most essential ones I've come across, not just for its great choice of words but mainly for its message)

In some tribes it is believed that the spirit of the departed cannot be set free and ascdend to heaven as long as people mourn about him. By stopping the mourning, you set the departed free to let his spirit soar.

My point is: take care of your important posessions through a testament, by entering it into a depot, by making sure all is distributed to your loved ones before you die, ... and don't waste too much time on wondering about the rest. Death is a mystery in the end and shall remain as such very likely. The one certainty we got is today, and the only thing in our control somewhat is to enjoy that day to full extent.
Old 9 Mar 2014, 07:19 PM   #24
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Deceased lady’s iPad cannot be used due to Apple’s security rules

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20140...ecurity-rules/
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2014, 09:38 PM   #25
kijinbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
I could understand Apple not wanting to let the family access the content of the iPad. But not being able to use the device at all, not even perform a factory reset? That's ridiculous. We're losing control over our own hardware.

If I die tomorrow, my family will inherit my PC along with all the peripherals. They won't be able to access the content, because it's all encrypted with TrueCrypt. But they'll be perfectly able to reformat the hard drive and install a fresh copy of Windows, Linux, or whatever else they want. That's what it means for somebody to "inherit" a physical, tangible object.

Anyway, this thread must be a zombie, it just won't die!
Old 10 Mar 2014, 04:35 AM   #26
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I don't understand why they can't just use recovery mode:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1808
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/wipe-...ode-55572.html
This will restore the iPad to factory mode (empty) without the need to know the access code.

Unless the family has access to the Apple ID for the device (tied to an email account), there is no way that Apple can verify that the device wasn't stolen. It's no different than any other asset - just because the family member has a car in their garage doesn't mean they own it. So I understand why Apple can't provide access to the data on the device (or any iCloud backups) without the family knowing the proper information. Otherwise anyone could get access to all data associated with a stolen iPhone or iPad.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2014, 08:36 PM   #27
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

The irony is, imagine abuse of data occurs after someone dies, the one with the least hassle over it will be the person who died, as he will never realise the abuse. He's dead after all ...

Can't we, instead of thinking about our own deaths, concentrate on creating an elixir that gives eternal life? Some people say they would not want it, but I don't get that. Despite having had depression regularly in my lifetime, I would say that as long as I can discover and explore new things, life is worth living. And you will Always discover and explore. So bring on eternal life, I'm all for it !
Old 17 Mar 2014, 09:57 PM   #28
drew
The "e" in e-mail

I will instruct my Sister or her Son to access
my EMD account and post a prepared post
telling you all how much I appreciated
the friendly and patience of this forum.

That you guys have accepted my too childish
postings through the years are just amazing and
something to praise.

First Cancer Okologog Doc gave me at most 3 years to live

Voi too short time for me. Next Doc a hlaft years later
gave me some 2 years he would feel unethical to promise me more he told me.

I love when they do their best to not promise too much.

Voi two years is even shorter that three years.

Then the very bad news. The Third Doc having same
education and experience as the other two looked very
serious at me and told the cancer therapy does not work
as good as they had hoped for. The Tumor had gone too far into the tissues and had a great impact on my body so
he felt unethical to promise more than 12 Monthj
and that was if me made some progress in the recovery.

Which he saw no sign so it looks gloomy.

At most one year and some months has already gone
so less that one year then.

Way too short for my impatient body. I want to live forever
and not some 10 month with unsure outcome
that it is even shorter than that.

So if you get an offtopic post in this thread or a new one
then you know it is my Sister or her Son doing their best
to get through following my poor instructions how to log in
and make a cut and past post. I am bad at computers
and my Sis even less good at it. I trust her son being
much sure of what to do for to make a post.

So treat then well not be too suspicious of them being
somebody just pretending. If account get kidnapped
then I try to open a new one and tell you about the fake posts.

So next year at this time I will pass away in pain I guess.
Wish me good luck I need that.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2014, 05:52 AM   #29
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

I am really sad to hear/read this, Drew. I'm not a religious person but to use a metaphor: I keep fingers crossed that somehow the doctors are wrong and that you will find the right cure. All the best, and hoping for a recovery... There have been medical miracles before, people recovering from illness against the odds. So don't give up courage yet... When there is hope, there is life (and vice versa). I really hope the doctors are wrong and that you can recover. Keep the faith...
Old 28 Jul 2016, 02:06 AM   #30
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Last Pass - Emergency Access

https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/emergency-access/

Quote:

Do you worry about your family, friends, partner, or spouse having access to important accounts should something happen to you? Do you want an easy way to give them the passwords and logins they’d need to manage accounts on your behalf? Prepare for the unexpected and ensure your loved ones don’t get locked out of important accounts, like paying bills or the mortgage, and that they can manage your digital legacy.

With the Emergency Access feature, you can give trusted family and friends access to your LastPass account in the event of an emergency or crisis.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote