EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Jul 2016, 02:00 PM   #1
radtux

Lightbulb Why Fastmail is the best!

Over the past couple of years, I have been with Fastmail in some way or the other (having moved to Exchange because it was giving in contacts and calendar sync). I have also lived through the times when it was sold to Opera and then Fastmail went independent again (a very wise decision, indeed).

What has improved:

1) The PUSH on IMAP. The mail delivery is nearly instantaneous. No more lag (unless there is no data network).

2) It works absolutely flawlessly on my BlackBerry Passport.
3) The native CalDav/ CardDav.
4) Vastly improved uptimes (I believe they have invested a lot of resources in the backend and it shows).
5) Beautiful interface (I know there are adherents to Classic interface as well- please don't flame me).
6) Support for two factor authentication (a must for me).
7) Last but definitely not the least- stellar customer care. I had an issue for which I raised the support ticket. Accounting for the time zone difference, the reply was received within two hours and the issue resolved within 10 minutes.

Super happy with the brilliant service.
radtux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Jul 2016, 07:50 PM   #2
CyberDyne
Master of the @

Thumbs up

Good for you, and for the most part I agree with you.
I'm far from a fan-boy, but it's good to see some positivity about FM on these forums for a change.
CyberDyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2016, 09:32 PM   #3
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Hello, radtux.

I've been a Fastmail subscriber for so long that I forget when I initially signed up. In all those years, I've seen a lot of improvements, but also have seen some things deteriorate.

Not to pop your balloon, but you stated among other things:

Quote:
7) Last but definitely not the least- stellar customer care. I had an issue for which I raised the support ticket. Accounting for the time zone difference, the reply was received within two hours and the issue resolved within 10 minutes.
I must have been living under a rock and missed FM's "stellar customer care."

In the old days, Rob Mueller himself would some times take care of Tech. Support issues for subscribers. What you heard from him was a knowledgeable analysis and solution of your issue.

Nowadays, you're lucky to have a non-canned response to your ticket and, unless it's changed and no one told me about it, no support on weekends

Fastmail is O.K. for what it offers, but certainly not the "best" for everyone -- no E-Mail provider can be the best for all people. If the provider's features are what you need, then it is the best for you, but not the best for other people with different needs.

Please enjoy your Fastmail bliss while it lasts.

--
Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2016, 04:38 AM   #4
wam

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtux View Post
Over the past couple of years, I have been with Fastmail in some way or the other (having moved to Exchange because it was giving in contacts and calendar sync). I have also lived through the times when it was sold to Opera and then Fastmail went independent again (a very wise decision, indeed).

What has improved:

1) The PUSH on IMAP. The mail delivery is nearly instantaneous. No more lag (unless there is no data network).

2) It works absolutely flawlessly on my BlackBerry Passport.
3) The native CalDav/ CardDav.
4) Vastly improved uptimes (I believe they have invested a lot of resources in the backend and it shows).
5) Beautiful interface (I know there are adherents to Classic interface as well- please don't flame me).
6) Support for two factor authentication (a must for me).

Super happy with the brilliant service.
I fully agree with you on the above.

One thing which I think you missed is the "feeling of security". I never felt insecure about my emails or data stored on fastmail. Although I think twice giving away my password to support upon raising a ticket.
wam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2016, 06:04 AM   #5
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by wam View Post
Although I think twice giving away my password to support upon raising a ticket.
I've been a 'Fastmailer' for more than a decade and I've had to use support once or twice I think. I don't remember support needing my password.

- Bruce

Last edited by somdcomputerguy : 1 Aug 2016 at 12:47 AM. Reason: removed 'only'. it was in wrong spot and wasn't really needed anyway.
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2016, 09:52 AM   #6
David
Ultimate Contributor

I have had a Fastmail account since before I joined these forums and I have never been asked for my password either.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2016, 10:50 PM   #7
petergh
Master of the @

Their support form used to have a field asking for your password. It was optional, though that wasn't made very clear.The form has since been changed and doesn't allow you to type your password anymore.

https://www.fastmail.com/html/?MSignal=Support-**
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2016, 11:14 PM   #8
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergh View Post
The form has since been changed and doesn't allow you to type your password anymore.
Correct.
It says instead Login to your account before you open a ticket. Spot the difference...
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Aug 2016, 01:36 AM   #9
wam

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergh View Post
Their support form used to have a field asking for your password. It was optional, though that wasn't made very clear.The form has since been changed and doesn't allow you to type your password anymore.

https://www.fastmail.com/html/?MSignal=Support-**
Thanks for the information. It is a nice change, did not raise a ticket since this change.
wam is offline   Reply With Quote