EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 Aug 2019, 10:17 PM   #1
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Undo? Can do!

https://fastmail.blog/2019/08/21/fas...rts-undo-send/

Be quick!

Quote:
Fastmail are pleased to announce that from today, you have 15 seconds to hit “undo” after sending an email from inside the Fastmail web interface or our apps.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Aug 2019, 05:04 AM   #2
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Why is it 15 secs or nothing and not allow the user to specify some number between 0 and 15? Other services that allow a delay at least allow some limited control over the delay time (e.g., gmail, outlook/hotmail).
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2019, 01:10 PM   #3
easemail

Love this feature! As someone who uses the undo feature a lot already in fastmail for moving things to folders, this will be great.
easemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2019, 09:16 PM   #4
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Personally, I think it's a useless feature. I've always considered the 'Send' button to be like dropping a letter into a Post Office box. Any edits that I need to make or attachments I forgot to attach would just mean to me, "Oh darn, send another email", and these changes if needed I wouldn't think of in 15 seconds anyway. Someone once said 'as you age, your memory is one of the first things to go', I think, but I don't remember who it was or where I heard it..

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2019, 10:06 PM   #5
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
Someone once said 'as you age, your memory is one of the first things to go', I think, but I don't remember who it was or where I heard it..
I think you said it, Bruce!
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2019, 10:28 PM   #6
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
I think you said it, Bruce!
I guess forgetting what one has said, as well as repeating it, is one of the things too..

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2019, 05:39 AM   #7
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

doesn't do

I tried the feature

The first time I sent an email to another FM user I quickly jumped to the "SENT" folder and found the word "UNDO" next to the email subject. I assumed that this was the trigger to activate the feature. I wanted to demonstrate the feature to someone else but each time I sent an email and went into "SENT" to undo it, the UNDO button was absent. Is it me or the feature?

In the Blog I read
Quote:
Our client actually sends a value of 20 in the holdFor field, just so that if you click at exactly 15 seconds, it's still very likely that the undo will be processed...
but there was nothing to indicate what was to be clicked?

Last edited by m46ah_30 : 23 Aug 2019 at 06:00 AM.
m46ah_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2019, 07:43 AM   #8
dsemf

Quote:
Originally Posted by m46ah_30 View Post
I tried the feature

The first time I sent an email to another FM user I quickly jumped to the "SENT" folder and found the word "UNDO" next to the email subject. I assumed that this was the trigger to activate the feature. I wanted to demonstrate the feature to someone else but each time I sent an email and went into "SENT" to undo it, the UNDO button was absent. Is it me or the feature?

In the Blog I read but there was nothing to indicate what was to be clicked?
The undo message shows at the bottom of the screen after selecting send. The location is dependent on the client but works for the iOS Fastmail app and the Fastmail web client. I did not bother going to the sent folder.

DS
dsemf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2019, 08:45 AM   #9
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

Thanks... NOW I see it. Woulda been helpful if the folks who put it there would have had the courtesy to point it out!!
m46ah_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2019, 08:37 AM   #10
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

I agree that this isn't terribly useful with email. But if Verizon could develop this for text messages I send after 10pm, that'd be great.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote