EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Oct 2004, 02:30 AM   #1
DianeB
Cornerstone of the Community

Angry Problem Uploading Files

I have noticed this before, but I went to my file storage today to upload some files. I clicked on the right folder, clicked browse, chose my files, then clicked to upload the files. It appeared that my files were being uploaded. The bottom left corner of my screen was showing the progress. It got all the way to where it said 'Transferring Document--100%'. Then it seemed to be stuck there for a short time. Then it was showing 'Opening Page', which is where it would go back to my file storage area after the files were uploaded. But it got stuck there. I waited & waited for it to open back to my file area, but after a good 5-10 minutes of seeing it saying 'Opening Page', I finally clicked out & none of the chosen files were uploaded.

Help & ackkkkkkkkkkkkkk !! I'm pulling my hair out !

I might add that I am using IE & I am also on dial-up, which is slow, but not slow enough for it to take 5-10 minutes to upload a few files!! (Sadly, I live in the boonies & can't get roadrunner, etc.)

BTW--I love the new increases we just got. I have a 'Full' membership, but at this rate, it will eat up all of my file BW in no time flat.

Any ideas or suggestions from anyone?

~Diane
DianeB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Oct 2004, 03:18 AM   #2
self

I too have had some curious behavior when uploading files. Then I read in the doc that there is a "some 7 MB" limit on the file size. Might that be your problem also?
self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2004, 05:50 AM   #3
fhapgood
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by self
I too have had some curious behavior when uploading files. Then I read in the doc that there is a "some 7 MB" limit on the file size. Might that be your problem also?

I have been trying to upload a 550 Kbyte file to file storage. No success at all. Every time I try I get a 404. Yet the page is certainly available when I want to upload a smaller file.
fhapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2004, 05:53 AM   #4
fhapgood
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by fhapgood
I have been trying to upload a 550 Kbyte file to file storage. No success at all. Every time I try I get a 404. Yet the page is certainly available when I want to upload a smaller file.
I just tried again and this time it worked.
fhapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2004, 08:32 AM   #5
Sherry

Re: Problem Uploading Files

Quote:
Originally posted by DianeB
Any ideas or suggestions from anyone?
Maybe you could try 1 file. If that works, try the next 2 until you see how many you can do at a time without a problem? If you have a problem with the first file, you won't waste as much BW while trying to solve the problem.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2004, 07:23 PM   #6
DianeB
Cornerstone of the Community

I had to leave the forums & go off & do some constructive work!

I've tried just one small file at the time & alas, still no go. I'll try again when I have the time, & see what happens.

~Diane
DianeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Oct 2004, 02:51 PM   #7

Have you also tried on the beta server and/or other browsers?

Does this problem only affect one account? Does it also affect the Compose screen? Is it FM-specific?
Old 5 Oct 2004, 03:00 PM   #8
Shelded

Quote:
Originally posted by self
Note that if you exceed the 7MB limit it will appear to upload then give you nothing. I've been uploading this evening with no trouble, a 1.1MB file went fine.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2004, 06:22 AM   #9
jspink

I am also having problems uploading ... When I try to upload more than one file at a time I get a similar effect in that the files appear to be uploading but then I get a timeout page and everything stops. Also, if I select a file with a long path to it, for example C:\Documents and Settings\John\My Documents\Grabit\alt.binaries.old.games\somefile.xyz, I have found that I have to use the 'Rename to' box otherwise the upload fails.
jspink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2004, 08:39 AM   #10
kurianja
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
The maximum upload size is aroun 7MB, so make sure you aren't exceeding the limits. Are you connecting securely or not? Can you try both? What browser are you using? Clear the cache/cookies, and try again.. See if these help in anyway.
kurianja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2004, 03:52 AM   #11
jspink

I realise about the 7Mb limit now, but does that apply on a per-file basis or total upload? I'm having trouble uploading a number of files at once usiong the 'Upload More..' button. I tried to tag 8 files for upload which were all about 4.8Mb in size (i.e. 38Mb in total) but the operation failed after about a minute and none of the files were uploaded.
jspink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2004, 04:38 AM   #12
Sherry

I believe it's the total size you're trying to upload. You could upload one 7mb file or 3 that are a little over 2mb each. In your case, I think you need to upload one at a time if 2 together would go over the 7mb size.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote