EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 10 Aug 2019, 07:47 AM   #1
camner
Cornerstone of the Community

Oddity in iOS interface on iPad

I find myself in this position regularly...

I click on a message to read it, and now I have two panes...the pane on the left showing the messages in the folder I’m looking at, and a larger pane on the right with the text of the message.

Now I want to mark that message as “unread.” So I select the message in the left pane by tapping the circle, and then I go down to the “More” icon in the toolbar at the bottom and I choose “Mark as Unread.” The message title in the left pane dutifully goes bold, as I would expect.

But now I’m stuck! I can’t escape from where I am without the message being marked as read again. If I click the X at the upper left corner, the message gets marked as read. Clicking on any other message selects that message, too. Unchecking the original message marks it as read, also.

Using the keyboard short cut “period then U” works, but that’s it. Trying with multiple messages selected has the same problem.

Am I missing something obvious here? The user interface is doing something unexpected here.
camner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Aug 2019, 10:29 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Work-around to mark messages as "unread"

The issue you see is caused by the message focus (the highlight of a single message in the list which shows which message is being read). The focus is moved using the j/k keyboard shortcut keys, the up/down arrows in the upper right of the iPad screen, or by touching a message in the list. When the focus moves to a message, it is marked as "read".

When you exit from the message selection feature by selecting the X at the upper left of the screen, the focus moves back to where it was before you started selecting messages. This application of the focus to that message causes it to switch back to "read". I agree that it appears to be a bug, and I will report it to Fastmail staff.

But there are two methods for bypassing this bug when you want to mark one or more messages as "unread":
  1. Single message:
    • Move the focus (message you are reading) to a particular message you want to mark "unread".
    • Then use the "mark as unread" feature in the rightmost ...More tool at the bottom.
    • You can now move the focus to other messages to read them, and as long as the focus never gets to the message you marked it will remain as "unread".
  2. Multiple messages:
    • Move the focus (message you are reading) to a particular message you want to be "read". In other words, not one of the messages you want to be "unread".
    • Then (as you describe) select the messages you want to be marked "unread" and use the rightmost ...More tool at the bottom to so mark them.
    • Now use the X at the top to stop the selection feature. The focus will return to the unrelated message and it won't affect the "unread" operation you just completed.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2019, 05:44 AM   #3
camner

Thanks very much. This workaround works. Hopefully the bug will be fixed.
Old 20 Aug 2019, 12:16 PM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Fastmail staff has now fixed this bug on beta (beta.fastmail.com), and I just confirmed this. The fix should roll out soon (not sure exactly how long this will take) to the normal login. It affects both browser logins and the mobile app.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2019, 02:15 AM   #5
camner

Thanks much, BIll, for this.

This is one of the things I really treasure about FM. Helpful community, responsive company (and great product!)