EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 11 Nov 2020, 03:15 AM   #1
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Comparison: Pobox vs SimpleLogin

@simple_login on Twitter today:

Quote:
Our yearly plan is $15/year instead of $30 during the Black Friday. The promotion is until Nov 30.
Another tweet says this offer is recurring, not just for 1 year.

As that price is now quite competitive when compared to Pobox, I'm wondering if anyone on the forum that uses or has used Pobox could offer a comparison of the both?

https://simplelogin.io/pricing/
https://www.pobox.com/pricing
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Nov 2020, 05:38 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

I have used POBox.com but not SimpleLogin. POBox works as advertised, with good deliverability, speed, and spam filtering. I wonder how the deliverability and speed are with SimpleLogin?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2020, 09:15 AM   #3
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Can’t really compare. I have a Pobox Mailstore account, the lookalike of Fastmail. And equally reliable.
Simplelogin (paid) has by default unlimited aliases. A plus compared to Pobox. There you need a own domain for that.

Last edited by Berenburger : 11 Nov 2020 at 09:21 AM.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2020, 08:32 PM   #4
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

It seems that Simple Login have made a mistake, they've just tweeted:

Quote:
We realized that this promotion should only apply for first year and have updated the pricing. This does NOT affect users who have upgraded with the promotion.
From that, I assume that if you've already signed up based on their original tweet, they will honour the recurring offer.
Old 11 Nov 2020, 10:11 PM   #5
ankupan
Cornerstone of the Community

Pobox has years of experience with excellent service with loyal customers.

where SimpleLogin is
Domain Creation Date: 2019-06-14T17:20:14Z

It is not apple to apple compare.
ankupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2021, 11:17 PM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

Thread revival! Has anyone tried out SimpleLogin?
Old 12 Apr 2021, 02:06 AM   #7
TenFour
Master of the @

Just for kicks I created an account at SimpleLogin mainly to test out their email forwarding. You get a 7-day free trial of their premium service, which currently lists at $30 per year. Very easy and clear sign up and set up. They make it super easy to add SPF, DKIM, and DMARC to your domain if you want to use them--best setup I have seen for that. In my case I have set up a Gmail account to be the sender/receiver of these forwarded emails. Infinite number of aliases are possible, and they have a system for creating new ones on the fly as needed. There's a nice app you can use on your phone too. Once an email is forwarded to your inbox you can just hit reply and they generate a reply alias on the fly that makes your email look like it is coming from the alias you have set up. For sending the first time it is a bit different than POBox.com in that you don't send directly from Gmail. You first need to generate a reply alias in the app or on the website (there are also extensions for various browsers) then use that as the send-to address. I can see both advantages and disadvantages to this system. One bad thing is that at first until you've generated a reply alias you will have to set one up in SimpleLogin and you will have to go back there each time you want to email that person, though I suspect you could also save that alias as a preferred address in your contacts. On the good side, it means it is really quick and easy to send to a new address from your alias without having to set up anything in your main email client. These various features would make it really easy to quickly switch where your email was being received and sent from in the terrible case that your main email provider went down, locked you out, or for some reason became unusable. With something like Gmail there is always the possibility of being locked out for some unknown reason and never getting back in. In any case, SimpleLogin is worth checking out if its features are something that interests you.
Old 12 Apr 2021, 04:14 AM   #8
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I have a domain, registered with Gandi, that I only use when signing up for newsletters, forums, etc. There's no associated website.

For this domain, I've also made use of the Gandi Webmail, which curiously only allows a wildcard alias after the first 2 characters.

This is explained better here:

https://robsblog.robertwatts.com/202...s-work-around/

I have only created one wildcard alias like this so far, but this seems it could be advantage, in that you should not get the volume of spam that is a risk with a normal wildcard.

All the above is great for receiving, but if you want to send (reply) you would have to create an alias in your webmail.
Old 12 Apr 2021, 04:36 AM   #9
TenFour
Master of the @

SimpleLogin allows the instant creation of a new alias on the fly by use of a browser extension or the app. A little logo appears next to the email field you want to fill in and SimplyLogin will populate the field with a random email address. Personally, I'm not so sure this would be all that useful to me, but I suppose it prevents your actual email address from being revealed. Since I use Gmail for my main email service it is very rare for any spam or phishing email to make it to my inbox anyway.
Old 21 Apr 2021, 08:33 PM   #10
TenFour
Master of the @

Ran across this review of SimpleLogin.
Old 22 Apr 2021, 12:30 AM   #11
lpn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Ran across this review of SimpleLogin.
This looks interesting, however could it break email on some email clients if it uses some kind of proxy address?
lpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2021, 02:56 AM   #12
TenFour
Master of the @

I don't know the technical details of how it works, but I tested some SimpleLogin emails and they were accepted by my business Microsoft 365 system and they scored well on an online email tester. Since the emails are forwarded it tends to be a lot faster than waiting for Gmail to POP your email from another account.