EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 Jun 2019, 07:27 AM   #1
foodi

Where has the "identities and fetch" settings screen gone to?

Hi,

Hopefully this is a quickly resolved question:

Since the recent UI overhaul/update, I can't find a way to change my POP fetch settings.There's an Identities tab, but it doesn't include any of the fetch settings.

Where have the Fetch settings gone to?
foodi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Jun 2019, 07:40 AM   #2
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Heh, see this thread.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2019, 08:57 AM   #3
foodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
Heh, see this thread.

Thanks!
Old 29 Jun 2019, 04:30 AM   #4
foodi

Seriously, though. What the hell is going on? How did this broken update get approved? That thread isn't very illuminating.

I'm still no closer to discovering where the POP settings are to be found.....

Last edited by foodi : 29 Jun 2019 at 05:09 AM.
Old 29 Jun 2019, 05:45 AM   #5
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

It was explained in that other thread. Click the IMAP icon in the Import & Setup and fill in the requested info.

It's not POP fetch anymore. It's IMAP fetch. For actually pulling email over from another service it doesn't matter if it's POP or IMAP. I did comment it would be nice to be given the choice (mentioned that in a ticket I submitted too). But it does work.

Note you have to be careful when setting it up to not to enable importing from the service (unless you want to). I experimented last night switching my old POP fetch from gmail (deleting my original fetch) to IMAP. I forgot to disable the importing and FM started sucking down everything from my gmail account. I am not sure why that even worked at all because when I stopped it and went back to recreate the fetch gmail wouldn't let me any more. Turns out I needed to set the "Allow less secure apps" in gmail. Maybe that has something to do with the re-verification process FM has to do with google but I don't understand why setting "Allow less secure apps" wasn't required the first time I tried it.
Old 29 Jun 2019, 05:55 AM   #6
foodi

Hmmm. I already have POP accounts set up which I wish to disable. I don't want to add a new fetch account. I want to access the settings of my existing fetch accounts. I don't see them anywhere.

UPDATE: Oh ****. I found it. Not terribly noticeable in the middle of that tab. Thanks!

Last edited by foodi : 29 Jun 2019 at 06:01 AM.
Old 29 Jun 2019, 06:21 AM   #7
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Just go where they list the Mail Fetch account, click edit for the account you want to disable, and disable it.

Import & setup -> Connected Services (Mail Fetch) -> View & edit

---

I was creating this post when you updated your previous post.
Old 29 Jun 2019, 06:25 AM   #8
foodi

Thanks again.
Old 29 Jun 2019, 01:29 PM   #9
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
It's not POP fetch anymore. It's IMAP fetch. For actually pulling email over from another service it doesn't matter if it's POP or IMAP. I did comment it would be nice to be given the choice (mentioned that in a ticket I submitted too). But it does work.
IMAP and POP do very different things. IMAP is appropriate for migrating from a previous mail service to FastMail, but (as FastMail used to make clear in their documentation) is not appropriate for regular fetching of new emails (unless you really want an email sync, and not an email fetch capability).
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2019, 03:45 PM   #10
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

I understand the distinctions of POP vs. IMAP but for the purposes of of a simple "fetch" (or simulating a fetch) isn't the bottom line the same? New mail comes into the other services inbox and ends up in your FM inbox (or where ever you filter it into).

Since I didn't tick the checkbox to import when setting up the fetch when it tested it for gmail then it appears to be behaving like the old POP fetch. Mail comes into gmail's inbox, FM gets it.

If there are other unintended differences then maybe FM should provide the distinction for the user to choose.

Alternative scheme is just say screw it and let those other services forward their email FM. I already do that with one of my other email accounts since when I did the fetch (previously POP, now IMAP) maybe a third of the time I get error emails from FM indicating a server access failure. With POP it was a timeout. With IMAP it's worded differently. That services servers are a flake to begin with (yahoo's, yuk). But forwarding always works.

Last edited by xyzzy : 29 Jun 2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 29 Jun 2019, 07:32 PM   #11
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

If the foreign server whose mail you want to fetch only operates a POP3 service, surely an IMAP fetch won't work?

Also, configuring someone else's server to forward mails to FM surely means that the FM SMTP server receiving those mails will (possibly) reject them according to various criteria? Whereas I would have expected that an FM fetch of whatever is in a POP3 (or IMAP) mailbox elsewhere would grab everything regardless of its headers & content.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2019, 03:53 AM   #12
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I understand the distinctions of POP vs. IMAP but for the purposes of of a simple "fetch" (or simulating a fetch) isn't the bottom line the same? New mail comes into the other services inbox and ends up in your FM inbox (or where ever you filter it into).
What FastMail now does with IMAP fetch when it is not for migration of emails from a previous service is unclear. Usually, IMAP is used to sync several folders (that is, make the contents of the folders in the source and target the same) which may involve deleting some messages in the target, or refetching some messages that you previously read and removed from the target. (I am assuming here that the IMAP option to download complete messages is used, and not the option to download the headers only.)

If FastMail document what they are doing, maybe I will feel more comfortable. For the moment, I really believe what FastMail used to tell us: IMAP is not appropriate for incremental retrieval of messages from another mailbox.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2019, 06:25 AM   #13
DarioMor
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
What FastMail now does with IMAP fetch when it is not for migration of emails from a previous service is unclear. Usually, IMAP is used to sync several folders (that is, make the contents of the folders in the source and target the same) which may involve deleting some messages in the target, or refetching some messages that you previously read and removed from the target. (I am assuming here that the IMAP option to download complete messages is used, and not the option to download the headers only.)

If FastMail document what they are doing, maybe I will feel more comfortable. For the moment, I really believe what FastMail used to tell us: IMAP is not appropriate for incremental retrieval of messages from another mailbox.
Sure, it would be nicer!

They are changing the interface and hiding featurer we use for several years without any warning.

Do you know where is that screen where we could see the folder occupation by MB or %?

[ ]s
DarioMor
DarioMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2019, 06:55 AM   #14
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
If the foreign server whose mail you want to fetch only operates a POP3 service, surely an IMAP fetch won't work?

Also, configuring someone elses server to forward mails to FM surely means that the FM SMTP server receiving those mails will (possibly) reject them according to various criteria? Whereas I would have expected that an FM fetch of whatever is in a POP3 (or IMAP) mailbox elsewhere would grab everything regardless of its headers & content.
I think the first thing that came to my mind was what if the other service doesn't support IMAP and that's what made me think the user should be given the choice. This was before I saw that for the services I use apparently using IMAP didn't make a difference (so far). But, yes, I still think the user should be given the choice.

Adding the forwarder to the contacts lists eliminates the possibility of stuff from there being picked off as spam on the FM side. I don't think it's going to reject email from most of the major ESPs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
What FastMail now does with IMAP fetch when it is not for migration of emails from a previous service is unclear
With one of my other email services (I have a few for testing) I created another folder and a filter to send a message to it to get an unread email into that folder. FM was totally unaware of it. Only email that arrived in the inbox made it to FM. So it's not a traditional "sync" in the IMAP sense which is what made me think that for the way the FM's Mail Fetch is using it there is no behavioral difference between using POP or IMAP. It appears to only be looking at the inbox.

I didn't experiment with recreating the Mail Fetch for that service to see how the import would behave. Would it see that other folder at that time?

Last edited by xyzzy : 30 Jun 2019 at 07:03 AM.
Old 30 Jun 2019, 08:40 AM   #15
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioMor View Post
Do you know where is that screen where we could see the folder occupation by MB or %?
On the far left, below the list of folders, and above the +, Edit, and Find buttons. At least, that is where it's at on my display. Or for individual users, Settings | Users & Aliases.

- Bruce
http://somdcomputerguy.com
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote