EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > About this site...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

About this site... Do you have any thoughts, suggestions or comments about this site? Post them here...

Closed Thread

Old 14 Dec 2004, 12:45 AM   #1
Prognathous
Master of the @

Suggestion regarding the banned services

I was just about to open a discussion about one of those services (not knowing that it's banned), but first I decided to search the forums for previous discussions. I did find a few and reading them hinted that the discussed service was banned. I could only guess that this asterisked name was the name of the service that I just searched for.

To better handle this problem I suggest to notify the user that a service is banned in the following cases:

1. Search string includes the banned name.
2. Preview/Send action includes a text with the banned name.

Prog.

Old 14 Dec 2004, 01:35 AM   #2
s a
Master of the @

An auto-notify based on a specific string-match may require a hack (I'm not sure if its a built in feature)?

I would also point out that the main idea behind banning a service is to ensure that it gets as little attention as possible - an entire feature devoted to banned services will result in a spike in discussions (of the feature - and hence the banning process itself).
Old 14 Dec 2004, 06:54 AM   #3
Edwin
 Administrator 

Not possible without a hack, which is the same as saying not possible since I don't install hacks
Old 14 Dec 2004, 03:37 PM   #4
fmnewbee
Master of the @

Take me as an example.

I wrote in a thread and suggested that one could be warned by how these email services got treated in another emailforum so a link to that one would be ok I had hope.

Mod jumped in and deleted the links. That is ok with me but had I known this in advance I had not linked to it at all.

Would not the software allow a kind of notification that stopped the submitting of a text and a text that you guys had prepared would come up telling the poster of the rules.

"There is some services we don't talk about here in EMD cause we banned them due to their behavior here. This "name of banned service"

The one the poster without knowing had mentioned.

When this come up the poster could not submit it without editing out the ref to the banned one.

Am I too naive not knowing what is available as an automatic feature in the forum software maybe?

there are such features that stop people from reading parts that are private to moderators so appearantly software could act as a kind of filter.

If one add the names of the banned services to such a feature it would stop posting of it?

"Your not allowed to post about these services" automatically screened for? Now it is soo embarrassing to have not known and getting an official reprimind after the posting.

trew
Old 14 Dec 2004, 05:32 PM   #5
Edwin
 Administrator 

That's what I was trying to say: the standard software doesn't do what you're talking about, and I don't plan to customize the software as it then becomes very difficult to upgrade it later.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 05:43 PM   #6
fmnewbee
Master of the @

thanks for fast and informative answer

We have to do with what we have then.

But it is kind of a not ideal situation. New people happily suggesting things not realizing the *** reaction to them.

Me having been here a while now do the preview first if I am unsure.

trew
Old 15 Dec 2004, 01:39 PM   #7
mramazan
Essential Contributor

TEXT REPLACEMENT ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Edwin
That's what I was trying to say: the standard software doesn't do what you're talking about, and I don't plan to customize the software as it then becomes very difficult to upgrade it later.
Replacement text for "auto-modification" is ****. Is it possible that aoto-modification text may be as follows:

[Auto-MOD: This is a banned service, please don't discuss.]

(I think this can be done without any hack /customization if optional text can be given, instead of ****.)

Ramazan
Old 15 Dec 2004, 02:05 PM   #8
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
I don't see how this thread can continue on. Edwin already said he doesn't want any hacks or customise of the software.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 02:06 PM   #9
gdg

This is what I said about it in a thread that was just closed:

Quote:
Nor should [the banned services] be able to [defend themselves] in these forums, if they've been banned, but there should be a method for warning people who come here against using such services.

Perhaps a sticky locked thread at the top of the "About this Site" forum listing the banned services and why they are banned. That way, people have been forewarned to not talk about those services...as they have been forewarned to not talk about many other issues. At the same time, people are forewarned about the use of those services.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen Mods editing posts people make because they have no idea they are not supposed to be posting about that service. Perhaps this would eliminate that issue. Otherwise, you really can't expect people to have knowledge of something they've never heard or read before.
Surely, there is some way of addressing this.

Last edited by gdg : 15 Dec 2004 at 02:34 PM.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 02:06 PM   #10
gdg

Quote:
Originally posted by Killer
I don't see how this thread can continue on. Edwin already said he doesn't want any hacks or customise of the software.
Edwin is participating in the thread.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 02:58 PM   #11
Edwin
 Administrator 

This thread has clearly outlived its utility since the core issue has been discussed to a conclusion.
Closed Thread