EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 14 Dec 2004, 07:22 PM   #16
euroman

Why not look at mailsnare as well??
euroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2004, 08:29 PM   #17
gdg

Re: your suggestions please...

Quote:
Originally posted by uhuu

4. www.yahoo.com - to much spam. As a consequence it is blocked in a quite large number of other services.
Maybe this needs some clarification. I'm not following. Yahoo is a great service, receives very little spam if username and practices are chosen carefully, and I've never seen any service blocking all Yahoo accounts. Are you saying many use Yahoo to send spam? Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Yahoo Mail, Briefcase, Calendar, etc, fit your needs nicely.

Fastmail has more versatility, but for general purposes, Yahoo seems hard to beat...especially the premium account, which has an almost foolproof spam prevention tool (which you get for free in some country domains, like Australia).

Last edited by gdg : 16 Dec 2004 at 08:35 PM.
gdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2004, 09:17 PM   #18
fmnewbee
Master of the @

Gdgrph, may I ask about yahoo AU?

I have a general account at yahoo.com but tel them that my preferred language isAU english. so I ahve some of what you refer to.

the alias feature. Very good I guess for free.

Do you know if the anti spam feature is included too.

I am too much of a noob to know any difference if I log in.

A far as I know I don't have spam in it. I could look if somebody challenge me on it. I am surprised I ahve none cause the email addy is exposed in several yahoo groups.

Maybe I ahve the good spam protection already then?

trew

PS if this is off topic send me a pm and I dlete this posting
fmnewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2004, 01:21 AM   #19
dodger

Re: your suggestions please...

Quote:
Originally posted by uhuu

8. www.fastmail.fm I tried it out a while ago and dropped because of bad web interface. I know it is reliable and may be I should give it a new try... At that time at least it lacked several options which I needed.

I've had my minor criticisms of Fastmail also, but I'll have to disagree with you on this one. I think Fastmail's web interface is terrific- clean and uncluttered (especially when using my favorite style sheet, "slim sand")...but then maybe "minimalism" is more to my taste
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2004, 03:15 AM   #20
fmnewbee
Master of the @

Maybe taste is a key word. Or preference even

Some seem to prefer FastMail style of interface while others seems not to. We are all soo diverse in taste or our prefs of styles in interfaces and how the software is set up.

another consideration that might not be applicabble to the originator of the thread.

IMAP learning curve. You have a lot fo people confessing to have changed names of folders without realizing that if the have set up their email agent to be synced to teh FM interface then they could lose emails.

to people like me who are extremely clumsy around software it is risky to use the Guest free service that only have IMAP.

I didn't lose emails but created three groups of extra FM folders in my ThunderBird. On Opera M2 I failed 5 times over a time period of many month to even set it up. Outlook express a bit easier but failed there too.

The learning curve are too steep for some fo us. I gave it al lup. so now I am back with POP3 cause to me that is nearly fool proof.

Very embarrassing for me but a fact. I am too dummy to get it.

trew

PS
so if a Moderator find it ok then I want to change my EMD username here to "trew" or TrewDeSwed " if that is ok instead of fmnewbee.

Me having that name shame out FM and that is a shame cause they are servicemidned and do a great job. so I should be allowed to get a proper username and not be the black sheep of FM
Old 17 Dec 2004, 12:26 PM   #21
gdg

Re: Gdgrph, may I ask about yahoo AU?

Quote:
Originally posted by fmnewbee
I have a general account at yahoo.com but tel them that my preferred language isAU english. so I ahve some of what you refer to.

the alias feature. Very good I guess for free.

Do you know if the anti spam feature is included too.

I am too much of a noob to know any difference if I log in.

A far as I know I don't have spam in it. I could look if somebody challenge me on it. I am surprised I ahve none cause the email addy is exposed in several yahoo groups.

Maybe I ahve the good spam protection already then?

trew

PS if this is off topic send me a pm and I dlete this posting
The address protection features is unparalleled. It is a bit cumbersome, since you have to set up a particular handle combo before you use it, but it works without fail.

The more advanced spam feature, where it is more customizable individually (Bayesian filtering based on individual prefs), is not available to the free accounts, even in Australia, afaik. The spam filtering to all free accounts is decent, though.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 12:26 PM   #22
gdg

Re: Maybe taste is a key word. Or preference even

Quote:

so if a Moderator find it ok then I want to change my EMD username here to "trew" or TrewDeSwed " if that is ok instead of fmnewbee.

Me having that name shame out FM and that is a shame cause they are servicemidned and do a great job. so I should be allowed to get a proper username and not be the black sheep of FM
I wish that was possible...I don't think it is, though.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 04:23 PM   #23

Only Edwin can do this...and he doesn't do this often.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 06:31 PM   #24
fmnewbee
Master of the @

then I am a fmnewbie forever, off topic

then I am a fmnewbie forever, off topic

unless I drop out take a long break and join again and Edwin too occupide with more important thigns to notice and when he notice it he just let it be and let em keep the new nick username?

some of you do have two identities here like TrewA and TrewB

So sometimes things just get by or how to say it.

trew 2 newbie
Old 17 Dec 2004, 07:48 PM   #25
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

AFAIK there isn't any serious problem with someone opening a new membership under a new name as long as it isn't done for deceptive purposes or with the intent of violating or circumventing forum rules. In fact, my member name here is actually my second one, technically, since so much time elapsed between my first registration and the next time I needed membership status in order to post that I had forgotten my original user name and even the address with which I had registered and could find no trace of the original confirmation message anywhere.

I believe what only Edwin can do is to actually change the name associated with one's current membership. In fact, to the best of my understanding, he's done that for exactly one person in the history of these forums.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2004, 09:17 PM   #26
Daniel S

Quote:
Originally posted by xmailer
I believe what only Edwin can do is to actually change the name associated with one's current membership. In fact, to the best of my understanding, he's done that for exactly one person in the history of these forums.
AFAIK, at least 5 accounts were renamed.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 09:24 PM   #27
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel S
AFAIK, at least 5 accounts were renamed.
Four of them since I got my information, apparently.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2004, 10:20 PM   #28
fmnewbee
Master of the @

then I could start with a new name then?

I don't do it for any questionable reason so I hope it is ok.

Trew.

ps I wait some day so any mod could tell me it is not ok.

Fmnewbee will never be used again then there will be only one trew.
Old 18 Dec 2004, 03:04 AM   #29
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Re: then I could start with a new name then?

Quote:
I don't do it for any questionable reason so I hope it is ok
Read the 'Who is "seaweed"?' thread from this post onwards.

The impression I get from Edwin's posts is that this is frowned-upon but not actually forbidden; so as long as it's not done to excess (flooding the database with dead nicks) or for dubious reasons such as sock-puppetry, for the time being it's alright.

My advice:  Get your new reg in while you still can!
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2004, 03:12 AM   #30
fmnewbee
Master of the @

ok I give it a try. Apology to Edwin!

ok I give it a try. Apology to Edwin!