EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 26 Apr 2019, 04:47 PM   #1
exactus

Mysterious bounce message

Someone sending me an email (myname@fastmail.fm) mispelt it as 'fastmaik'.
Instead of it bouncing back to the sender, I received the message below from 'betterbounces.net'

Anyone know who betterbounces.net are, and more importantly, how did they intercept this bounced email? If it bounced did they guess it was fastmail.fm?

Could the message have originated from the domain sending the email? (it was not fastmail)
I was not sending the email, I was the recipient.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your email was bounced...

... because something went wrong between you and your recipient. Oh no!
What to do next?

Well, your specific problem was a 5.1.2 error.

Which means you should: Check the "fastmaik.fm" part of "surname@fastmaik.fm" for misspellings or missing letters. If you find an error, correct it in your contacts list or address book for next time.

Or further: It is possible that the domain is temporarily inactive. If the spelling looks correct, contact your mail provider and if necessary, contact your recipient another way (e.g., phone or text message).

Get more Bounce Intelligence ™ on 5.1.2 errors here!

Thanks, have a lovely day.

Yours truly, betterbounces.net

Rate this email: Helpful or... Not Helpful
Advertisement | Prefer no ads?
Learn more about RevenueStripe...
© 2017 betterbounces.net, All rights reserved. Privacy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by exactus : 26 Apr 2019 at 11:14 PM.
exactus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Apr 2019, 05:44 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by exactus View Post
Anyone know who betterbounces.net are,
No big secret: https://www.betterbounces.net/faqs
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2019, 09:23 PM   #3
exactus

still a mystery...

betterbounce says:

"administrative notice be issued to the message author advising them the reason for non-delivery."

I wasn't the author, I was the recipient. If all the email is addressed incorrectly, how does betterbounce deliver a message to tell people it didn't work

This is the first time in 15 years of using fastmail that I got this message -- it's still a mystery, but not a secret.....

Last edited by exactus : 26 Apr 2019 at 11:15 PM.
exactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2019, 10:29 PM   #4
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I've asked the question of both @FastMail and @BetterBounces on behalf of the forum on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/EMDiscussions/st...52365290467329
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2019, 12:06 AM   #5
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by exactus View Post
I wasn't the author, I was the recipient. If all the email is addressed incorrectly, how does betterbounce deliver a message to tell people it didn't work .
The betterbounce's FAQ (see above) suggests a spellchecker-like solution:
Quote:
For example, if the email address is "user@7mail.com" we'd check http://7mail.com, and see, first, whether a webpage exists at that address. Nearly always a webpage should exist for a valid email address. If a web page doesn't appear, it's likely that the 'domain' part of the email address is incorrect. Second, we would do an Internet search on 7mail.com to see if there is a similar, common domain. In this case we find "y7mail.com" which, for this example, was the correct domain.
So fastmaik.fm was autocorrected to fastmail.fm

Now the question is "why some bounces are handled by betterbounce and other are not"? Does it depend on the sender's email provider? Or the sender's signing up to betterbounce ?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote