EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

View Poll Results: Do you find the “Bounce” button useful?
Yes, it is useful. Please leave it the way it is. (Please explain how it is useful) 22 33.85%
No, it is useless the way it. Either fix it or if it is not possible then remove it 43 66.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31 Oct 2002, 04:48 PM   #46
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

"Elvis has left the server," eh?

(edit: in case you're wonderling what I'm on about, I was replying to norbs' post on the previous page...)
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2002, 08:25 PM   #47
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

I would say that for getting rid of individuals that are convinced that they HAVE TO keep sending you email even though you've told them not to, the best policy is not to fake a "user doesn't exist" but rather to send a nice polite message saying something like:

`I have changed ny email address to "nonexistent@ somewhere.else", please update your address book'.

a good choice for the "somewhere.else" domain is some known spammer's domain, or just an alias set to discard mail.

Getting rid of spammers is hopeless. They don't care about addresses that don't exist, and they only add addresses to their mailing lists, never erase.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2002, 09:13 PM   #48
norbs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by norbs
...having asked nicely many times
i have tried...

If they aren't removing me (they clearly can't be bothered) so they are unlikely to edit the address..

I guess I could also set up a vacation notification email, so that emails sent to certain addresses could handle this automatically....
norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2002, 10:27 PM   #49
arw4f

Quote:
I guess I could also set up a vacation notification email, so that emails sent to certain addresses could handle this automatically....
I've done this in my sieve script...setup a filter like:
#BOUNCE MAIL RULES
if header :contains "To" ["stupidaddress1@mydomain.com", "stupidaddress2@mydomain.com", "stupidaddress3@mydomain.COM"]
{
reject "Command output: Mailbox does not exist.";
}

Results in an email:
Subject: Automatically rejected mail
Body:
Your message was automatically rejected by Sieve, a mail
filtering language.

The following reason was given:
Command output: Mailbox does not exist.
========
This may not be the most effective in the long run, but at least I stop seeing the messages, and don't have to bother with a reply. The first time a 'new' address shows up, I just add that address to my script. Any future emails are rejected.
arw4f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2023, 09:02 PM   #50
Bamb0
Master of the @

Thumbs down

I just wanted to say about BOUNCE .. It was very useful....

When I used fastmail,I bounced SPAM and as a result I didnt have much!

When they took BOUNCE away,my spam level started rising so YES it DID work..... I guess it worked too well....

Just the start of the stupid things they did.....

Last edited by Bamb0 : 16 May 2023 at 05:12 PM.
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 09:53 PM   #51
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Bamb0, you are consistently the most negative/trolling person on these forums.

I'm glad you found a better email provider for yourself, so why do you keep coming back here and replying to a thread with the last reply from 21 years ago?

Don't you think it's time to just let it go?
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2023, 05:14 PM   #52
Bamb0
Master of the @

Well I just wanted to comment on the bounce feature.. Im sorry
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2023, 12:36 AM   #53
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Can anyone recall any other thread that was revived after 21 years of inactivity? I think it may be a record.

While on the subject of things people like that went away years ago, I was very sorry when The Avengers TV series was discontinued in 1969.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2023, 09:48 AM   #54
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
Bamb0, you are consistently the most negative/trolling person on these forums.
I disagree. Personally, I value Bamb0's contributions, including his interesting archaeological explorations of this forum.
Although it was before my time, I can appreciate why a 'bounce' button was thought to be desirable; but I can also understand why it would have failed.

Last edited by Grhm : 17 May 2023 at 09:57 AM.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2023, 03:32 PM   #55
Avion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
Personally, I value Bamb0's contributions, including his interesting archaeological explorations of this forum.
That's the last thing that this forum needs, to encourage trolls.

Has Bamb0 actually ever offered any really useful knowledge on the subject of emails, which is the raison d'etre of this forum?

And as for all the silly word games, they have no place on a serious forum. Why would anyone, visiting this forum seeking email information, and just finding a proliferation of word games, be encouraged to stay?
Avion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2023, 04:34 PM   #56
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

The various games are all on the "off-topic lounge", that was meant for this kind of things.
I miss the kind of games robert@fm used to post there 20 years ago.
Old 17 May 2023, 08:56 PM   #57
Avion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
The various games are all on the "off-topic lounge", that was meant for this kind of things.
The 'off-topic lounge' is described as:

Quote:
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.
I think it's stretching the rules to consider that playing a word game could be classed as a 'general discussion'.
Avion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 06:08 AM   #58
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Rules are interpreted by whoever is enforcing them. They are the moderators and the admin (Edwin).
As there are games in the Off topic lounge that have been played continually for over 20 years now, and moderators have not intervened and some have participated, I think it means that it is not considered against forum rules.
Old 23 May 2023, 11:04 AM   #59
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Can anyone recall any other thread that was revived after 21 years of inactivity? I think it may be a record.

While on the subject of things people like that went away years ago, I was very sorry when The Avengers TV series was discontinued in 1969.
Hahaha. I honestly didn't even know that you could revive threads that old. Maybe it's just my settings, but I don't see threads older than last month.

I'm not trying to be hard on Bamb0, but dear lord.. just close that chapter of their life and be happy with the new provider and let us discuss (pertinent) things about FM in 2023.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 03:47 PM   #60
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
Hahaha. I honestly didn't even know that you could revive threads that old. Maybe it's just my settings, but I don't see threads older than last month.
User CP
..Edit Options
....Thread Display Options
......Default Thread Age Cut Off
........Select Show all threads in the popup menu
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote