EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 Sep 2006, 10:21 PM   #31
snsh
Cornerstone of the Community

Since prefetch requires a single HTML tag, why not try it out on the beta server?
It would save me a lot of patience if it could be added to the view screen.
The two links I find I almost always use are the goto-mailbox and delete-and-mailbox links:

<link rel="prefetch" href="/goto-mailbox-url">
<link rel="prefetch" href="/delete-and-mailbox-url">

Say... why is FM set up wtih 'delete' as a link but 'reply' as a button?
If delete and compose are links, then Reply may as well be a link too.

Biggest problem I can think of is if you work with multiple FM windows open.
Your prefetch can easily lose sync, though that's not the end of the world.

Then again, the biggest performance boost FM could offer us
would be a simple cleanup of HTML formatting and wordy alt tags.
snsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2006, 08:31 PM   #32
eggman
Essential Contributor

Quote:
What I tend to do is open messages in tabs and leave the list open in the first tab.
Me too - I just CTRL-Click or middle click on the messages...
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Oct 2006, 11:06 PM   #33
toolio

Until a week ago this thread was of only passing interest to me because I experienced good access speeds to Fastmail from my home base in Brazil.

But my provider's links to most sites in the U.S. have deteriorated significantly in the past week or so. As part of the problem, I have tremendous difficulty accessing Fastmail through the web interface. What used to take a second or so can now take minutes. Many times I have to reload the Fastmail page before I can get my inbox, and accessing individual messages can take minutes and/or many retries.

I find things are a little faster with Firefox than IE, but still problematic. I'd support anything that makes Fastmail quicker at this point. I realize this is not Fastmail's problem, but it I suspect international difficulties could be eased by the suggestions in this thread.
toolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2006, 12:49 AM   #34
Ilgaz

Quote:
Originally posted by DrStrabismus
I wouldn't want this without the option to turn it off.

It might speed things up if you are on a fast-connection, but for dial-up users it could slow things down a lot. It all depends on your pattern of use.
Hi,

Link prefetching was originally "invented" for modem users in times while 56K was luxury. There were even shareware titles doing it and people paid for them.

While you read or write your mail, your modem does nothing but keep online. A prefetching browser would keep downloading linked pages so when you are finished with your mail, you click a link on that page, the page instantly pops up because it was downloaded while your browser is idle.

The problem would be: This is a very advanced, dynamic webmail. Prefetch works very fine on news sites etc. but I have no experience with dynamic content.

On Mac, "iCab", (a German made commercial browser) has that option.

Last edited by Ilgaz : 7 Oct 2006 at 10:04 AM.
Ilgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2006, 10:57 PM   #35
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Huh

Quote:
- View message screen -
* Goto links: "<", "Mailbox", ">"
* Delete links: "<", "Mailbox", ">"
* Upper link-bar (Mailbox, Compose, Addresses and Notepad)
Perhaps I am very much mistaken about the way prefetching works and what it does but.. umm.. it would seem to me that this would delete the message before and after the email you're currently viewing, without having to click on the button. Unless I am very mistaken, prefetching works as follows:

1. User visits page 1
2. Browser crawls page 1 for link-elements containing the rel="prefetch" attribute.
3. Browser makes requests to the server for elements found in step 2, and caches the server's response.

So, prefetching the Delete buttons would seem to Fastmail as if the user actually clicked those links... Bad Thing, if you ask me? If not, then how would prefetching work, if it doesn't actually make a server request?

This reminds me of the Google Accelerator controversy with unsafe GET methods: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Web_Accelerator and http://tinyurl.com/7chxc - basically, using prefetching in web applications (such as the FM web interface) is considered a Bad Idea, unless the application was designed in a clean manner that uses GET only for 'safe' requests. The FM is no such app.. the links mentioned above are an example of unsafe GET requests.

Speaking of which... what is the practical difference between Google Web Accelerator and Moz's prefetching anyway, apart from the first prefetching everything and the latter leaving the choice to the webmaster?

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

PS: Did some more reading on this - looks like this either won't work with Fastmail, or will display the problem outlined above:

Quote:
In addition to this restriction, URLs with a query string are not prefetched. This is done because such URLs often result in documents that cannot be reused out of the browser's cache, so prefetching them often has little benefit.
The FM interface uses query strings as far as I am aware, it uses them to tell the server which action to initiate (The ?MLS=LN-*;Ust=4xexbxfx!2xbcx1ax;UDm=49;MSignal=MB-* part of the URL...)

--K

Last edited by kander : 17 Oct 2006 at 11:15 PM.
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2006, 11:11 PM   #36
norbs
Essential Contributor

and what happens if you were viewing a message and it prefetched the mailbox screen... then you received a new email... when you click on the link it would display the cached page with wouldn't have the new message displayed. right?
norbs is offline   Reply With Quote