EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 19 Jun 2003, 10:54 PM   #1
aynrandgirl

3rd-party DNS vs ISP DNS

I've been reading lots of old DNS threads here, and I cannot quite enunciate the reasons to prefer third-party DNS (ZoneEdit et al) to ISP-hosted DNS, or vice-versa. Can anybody help me out?
aynrandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Jun 2003, 11:48 PM   #2
redmyrlin
Master of the @

I think it depends on how much control you want and how many different providers you use. I have several sites using four separate providers (at the moment), and these providers might well change over time

I find it convenient to have all my DNS available from one place (Zone edit in my case). Also I find that some providers make it less than easy to alter such things as MX records.
redmyrlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2003, 05:47 AM   #3
Kawartha

Control of ones' own domain is the key between the two alternatives. Many complaints are that DNS run by ISP's don't have the specialization 'time or talent' needed to assure the connectivity of the domain.

The benefit I see is being at the controls 'like a pilot looking at the console, then being a passenger wondering who is flying the plane.'

But you want a dissertion answer, aynrandgirl, so I'm sure someone will answer the technical side clearly for you. My other point of difference is that it may be difficult- on a timely basis- to change your DNS servers if you leave an ISP under less-than-best conditions. That could affect your site's continuing uptime if that has been moved...or even the connectivity of your email domain.

- Perhaps this thread should be moved to the Technical Zone forum.
Kawartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2003, 06:32 PM   #4
aynrandgirl

Quote:
Originally posted by Kawartha
But you want a dissertion answer, aynrandgirl, so I'm sure someone will answer the technical side clearly for you.
I'm primarily considering the administrative/political side of the issue.
aynrandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2003, 08:42 PM   #5
Kawartha

Here's a snapshot of a DNS (3rd party) type set up- someone else can contribute an ISP side of DNS account.

On your own DNS module site you may have a interface to manage access to:

Domains
Domain Info

Whois
Zone Info
NS Records
SOA Records
A Records
CNAME Records
MX Records

Staff Functions
Invoices

--These categories are further expanded in Domain Administration to specify which domains are assigned to user (Staff Functions)
The kind of domain type- ex: Primary DNS; Application type; Date Added; Last Modified;
Staff Function abilities allow administrative assign/delegate of certain levels of access for administration purposes. Example: You will have full access to all records, however, your may give your office assistant only a certain access level for security puposes.

Whois = Name Servers
Zone info = Name server records (maybe up to 12 or more )
SOA = Start of Authority (refresh/retry/expire/minimum time to live: all given a time frame you can administire)
A records = Hosts= domains/aliases/IP addresses
MX Records = Mail Exchangers

~as for political, I have no idea. It's business as far as I know.
Kawartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2003, 07:33 AM   #6
Dave P in StLouis
Cornerstone of the Community

Dear aynrandgirl (lovely screen name, btw),

I started using ZoneEdit.com when StarGate.com quit offering mail services (i.e., forwarding). At that time, I didn't necessarily want to transfer the domain to another registrar. When the domain came up for renewal, I transferred it to RegisterFly.com but I left ZoneEdit.com in place for DNS, MX, etc. I figure I can transfer the domain if necessary and do a minimum of work. That's what it's about for me.

Best wishes,
David P.
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2021, 04:12 PM   #7
Bamb0
Master of the @

I use 3rd party DNS server because my ISPs gives a fake search page if you enter an invalid URL and in my opinion its just a form of tracking and keeping track of what your searching for.....

When I type an invalid URL I want it to say "The page cannot be displayed"

Like if I type "ddd" amd press return it says that and doesnt redirect me to my ISPs search page which I dont want!!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote