EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 1 May 2013, 02:12 AM   #1
cheviot
Essential Contributor

Terra.es going away/moving stateside

Received this today (via Google translate):
(note-does not appear to be a link to register for the new service, but an email address, and have found this notification on the Terra web portal:

Important information about your account Terra:

The next May 30 will delete the mail service Terra Spain, so its cuenta@terra.es stop working.

However, with the intention to provide our users with a quality alternative, offer the possibility of creating a new cuenta@terra.com with:

storage capacity of 1 GB
anti-spam
antivirus

For all other inquiries, please contact us through the email address ayuda@terra.com.
hmmm...)

Original email notification as follows:

The global model of Terra arrives in Spain

Dear user:

Starting today and over the coming weeks we will proceed to close the mail service Terra Spain, so on May 30, 2013 your account will stop working.

This decision is part of Terra's new corporate strategy, which in recent years has become a global communication medium whose model, present in over 18 countries, lands now in Spain.

However, with the intention to provide our users with a quality alternative, offer the possibility of creating a new cuenta@terra.com with a capacity of 1 GB, anti-spam and antivirus. This will register with a new service provided by Terra Networks Operations, Inc. *.

What will happen to my emails and my contacts?
Through the help manual "How to transfer my data to a new cuenta@terra.com" will help you download to your computer your emails and contacts. Once this is done, we will guide you through the process so you can create a new cuenta@terra.com and transfer there your data.

What if I want to open an account that is not Terra?
If you decide to switch to another email service, in the help manual "How to save my data on my computer to transfer to another account" will explain step by step how to download to your computer your emails and contacts. Once this is done, follow the steps of their new email service to transfer to another account.

We imagine you have more questions, so we have prepared a frequently asked questions (FAQs) that resolve the doubts that may arise. For all other inquiries, please contact us through the email address ayuda@terra.com.

Sincerely,
Terra Team Spain

* In case of opting for the solution of creating a new cuenta@terra.com, this will register with a new service provided by Terra Networks Operations, Inc. based in the United States, established in 396 Alhambra Circle, Suite S700, Coral Gables, FL, 33134 U.S., governed by their own Terms with consequent high of your personal information in the same entity that will be responsible for them, and taking into account that is governed by the law of said country.

Last edited by cheviot : 1 May 2013 at 02:25 AM.
cheviot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 May 2013, 01:54 AM   #2
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
When I lived in Spain I considered getting a terra.es, the only non-ISP bound free webmail provider using an .es extention (other than Yahoo.es). But the overload of ads turned me off.

I assume the switch to terra.com is with the intention to expand their customer basis into Latin American countries which use Spanish (which means all of them bar Surinam, French Guyana, Brazil, Belize and a few Caribbean islands). But with terra.com they'd have to manage just 1 domain and be able to market in Mexico, Cuba, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Panama, almost all of South America. Of course you can question why not just keep terra.es going as well so that Spanish users don't face complexities, and reserve terra.com for the rest of the Spanish speaking world?

PS: given the extreme unemployment in Spain (about 25 percent) it is sad that a big IT company is moving to the US rather than keeping their offices in Spain and provide a few jobs to the people in Spain.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2013, 05:53 PM   #3
JTR1

Telefonica's blatant disregard of its clients' interests

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheviot View Post
Important information about your account Terra:

The next May 30 will delete the mail service Terra Spain, so its cuenta@terra.es stop working.

........... For all other inquiries, please contact us through the email address ayuda@terra.com.
I received a similar email early last month telling me that this would happen on the 16th April and it looked spammy so I ignored it. I collect my email through Windows Live Mail but checked on Terra webmail to see whether or not there was any notification of this on the site. There wasn't. On 24th April, my email ceased to function. I went on the site and there was a notice that my email account had been blocked with a button to unblock it. Having clicked that button a message came up stating that they were working on the server to improve user experience (translated from Spanish). This is clearly a lie. Since reading your post I have been back on the site and after several clicks you now have an email to contact them. I already contacted Terra.com to ask if they were going to redirect my email. No reply from the day they shut my account down.

I have had my email account with them for 17 years and it started with teleline.es, I paid the equivalent of 80 euros per year for the service until they changed to terra.es when it was free. If you collect through Outook or any other similar program you don't get the advertisements. However when they changed they automatically redirected my email from teleline.es right up until they shut me down on 24th April. There is no such service with this new migration.

Already I have lost Ģ300 due to an agency not receiving my work within deadline and them having their email to me returned, enquiring where the work was, stating that I had rejected their email. The bounce back of any email states that "you" have rejected the email and not the server. During the two weeks prior to the shutdown I wrote several important emails from which I expected replies and obviously I will now not get those replies.

This is typical of the blatant disregard that Telefonica has of its customers' interests. They have caused immeasurable damage to my business and whilst I will now write to the email address you have provided I absolutely know I will not get a reply. There has never been any customer service or technical support. Will I be opening a new account with terra.com? Not a chance!
JTR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2013, 07:46 PM   #4
malcarada

@JTR1

What happened to you is sad but If my business relied on email I would not trust a free provider to manage it, paid providers can also make mistakes but they are much more careful about it and do not close down when they are profitable, I don't think it is realistic to expect personalized customer support with a free email provider either.
malcarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2013, 07:29 AM   #5
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Lately I signed in in my terra mail from mexico (I have had that for a long time) and I was wondering if they only are going to shut down the email from terra in Spain or that maybe other countries were terra is active are going to bit the bullet?

All seems to be OK (for now) at my mexican account of Terra....

From wikipedia it shows that the HQ of the company still is in Spain AND in Brazil.

So next question would be: WERE are the servers??

Anyone?

cheers

Dutchie.

ps: terra mexico has 5 gigs of storage, all ohters just seemt o have 1 or 2 gigs. In Brazil it is no longer possible to sign up for the free account.
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2013, 09:48 PM   #6
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
I signed up a account on Terra.com today.
Do you konw how to setup the webmail interface to english language?

Thanks.
jeffpan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2013, 11:42 PM   #7
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
I signed up a account on Terra.com today.
Do you konw how to setup the webmail interface to english language?

Thanks.
Nope...I am sorry Spanish only. (I try to change it with my terra.com and terra.com.mx accounts...)

Only in the chatrooms you can coose from several other languages (also English,German,Italian,Portugese and French)

Actualy terra.com is meant for spanish speaking people in the Americas or for latinos that are in the US.(or elsewere)

Dutchie
Old 21 Aug 2013, 01:02 AM   #8
cheviot
Essential Contributor

Only the homepage can be changed to English. However, I did find that Thunderbird will now automatically download IMAP/SMTP settings, so as far as losing the .es service and going to a .com, "no harm, no foul"...
cheviot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2013, 08:06 AM   #9
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

A buddy of mine told me that it is no longer possible to sign up at the mexican site of terra.....

So maybe this is a sign they are also gonna close down?

Up till now I didnīt receive anything from them saying that this is the case....but you may never know;-)

better save then sorry.

Dutchie.