EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > The Technical Zone...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Technical Zone... The Geeky forum... Use this forum to discuss technical aspects of email, from authentication protocols to encryption.

Old 5 May 2021, 06:26 PM   #1
EricG
Essential Contributor

How to properly set up an outlook.com account on Android

Gmail supports Exchange, but insists on using IMAP. Exchange supports PUSH and more options. Should work with hotmail.com and live.* too.

From settings select Add Account then Exchange.
Enter your user name, but select Manual Setup instead of Next.
Enter your password and change Server to eas.outlook.com.
Account is ready, but I recommend these:
In account settings, change Sync Frequency to Automatic (push).
Enable extra folders in Folder Sync Settings. Change Sync emails from.
Your Name is ignored, set that up from outlook.com web mail.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 May 2021, 08:30 PM   #2
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

I just use the Outlook App from Google Play store.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 02:26 AM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
I just use the Outlook App from Google Play store.
+1
I find it interesting that my emails show up faster on my phone using the Outlook app than they do on my computer running Outlook. It is very consistent. I keep my phone near my computer and know an email will soon be coming in on the computer when the phone notification sounds.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 02:33 PM   #4
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I keep my phone near my computer and know an email will soon be coming in on the computer when the phone notification sounds.
I thought you had a FastMail account? And if so I'm curious why you elect to use the Outlook app on your phone as opposed to using FastMail (app) with a mail fetch identity set up to the Outlook account? Is it just because of the extra time new Outlook messages appear in FastMail or some other reason?
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 08:08 PM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

I use the Outlook.com app for my Microsoft business account. I have various email systems for various things. I find the best experience if you use the app from the company that supplies the email: Gmail app with Gmail, Outlook app with Microsoft, Fastmail app with Fastmail, etc.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 09:56 PM   #6
chrisretusn

Quote:
+1
I find it interesting that my emails show up faster on my phone using the Outlook app than they do on my computer running Outlook. It is very consistent. I keep my phone near my computer and know an email will soon be coming in on the computer when the phone notification sounds.
I use the App to check Junk for misplaced emails. One thing that I at first disliked was "All Accounts". I have three accounts. I wasn't sure I was seeing all the emails. Now that I am sure "All Accounts" works, it a nice quick look to see if any account has something in Junk. My normal use is via an email client on my computer to download emails from the three accounts I have using POP3.
Old 10 May 2021, 10:02 PM   #7
chrisretusn

Quote:
I use the Outlook.com app for my Microsoft business account. I have various email systems for various things. I find the best experience if you use the app from the company that supplies the email: Gmail app with Gmail, Outlook app with Microsoft, Fastmail app with Fastmail, etc.
Same here. If the service has an App, I use it.

Normal use case for the App is to check Junk or Spam. as I POP3 all but a couple of my accounts. With these POP3 accounts I do any reply, forward or new messages using my client on this computer. For those IMAP accounts it doesn't matter as every thing is on the server.
Old 17 May 2021, 04:34 PM   #8
EricG
Essential Contributor

I don`t use the MS Outlook app because it`s bloated. I don`t want mail/calendar/contacts integration. I don't want two different email apps. All the AI is confusing for casual users, I disable it in Gmail. I tried it when it came out, and it filled my contacts with everyone I received email from.

For people who use the Microsoft services more than Google's, it makes sense. I don't.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote