EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Sep 2019, 06:21 PM   #1
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Dont fiddle with your Spam settings

Beware dont fiddle with your spam setting because you will lose the Add Score section and will not be put back...just another F/m feature to bite the dust.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Sep 2019, 08:46 PM   #2
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Beware dont fiddle with your spam setting because you will lose the Add Score section and will not be put back...just another F/m feature to bite the dust.
I think I mentioned this a couple of times (maybe not). Ok, they don't want to show it by default and I guess want it to "go away". But if they go back "in" and explicitly re-enable it by request (i.e., ticket) IMO it should not be removed because the user updating their settings. The code is obviously still there or they couldn't simply re-enable it.

I've lost Add Score at least twice. It's like I am now afraid to touch the Spam Protection settings since they are so "fragile".
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2019, 08:59 PM   #3
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

They will no longer reinstall it....
Old 20 Sep 2019, 08:36 PM   #4
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
They will no longer reinstall it....
Is that based on a ticket you submitted (or reopened)?
Old 20 Sep 2019, 09:59 PM   #5
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

F/m have given me another way to show the spam score.

Settings, preferences,advanced and you can add a script in there.

Hope that helps
Old 21 Sep 2019, 05:22 AM   #6
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Huh? I see nothing in Settings//preferences/advanced about spam or adding scripts. Maybe there's something there when Add Spam disappears.
Old 21 Sep 2019, 08:43 AM   #7
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Its in advanced in reading not actually a script but a selection box with script type thing in it....sorry dont know the technical term
Old 21 Sep 2019, 09:40 AM   #8
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy
I think I mentioned this a couple of times (maybe not). Ok, they don't want to show it by default and I guess want it to "go away".
Why would they want it to go away??

If someone cant set the score they may get MORE SPAM.. Is that what FM wants??

Sounds like it
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2019, 02:01 PM   #9
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Its in advanced in reading not actually a script but a selection box with script type thing in it....sorry dont know the technical term
Ok, but even if it's a setting can you describe exactly where you are seeing it in the advanced settings and it's wording? I see nothing that fits under Reading, Compose & Reply. Nothing about what we're taking about makes sense under those section anyhow. Maybe my eyes are going.

Update after replying to Bamb0 below:
By the way I hope you aren't referring to specifying X-Spam-Score to Extra Headers under Reading? Because if you are then see why I don't consider that as a substitute for Add Spam's {SPAM XX.X} subject prefix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Why would they want it to go away??

If someone cant set the score they may get MORE SPAM.. Is that what FM wants??

Sounds like it
Add Score is the option to insert the string {SPAM XX.X} (XX.X is the spam score) before the subject on emails considered as spam. It's only relation to the spam threshold setting is that stuff not considered as spam, i.e., below the spam threshold setting, is not prefixed with {SPAM XX.X}. The setting of the spam score limits is unaffected by this.

Yes, it's redundant in the spam folder since messages there also display the spam score as a badge before the subject ion the spam folder display. But if you set up filtering to move certain categories of spam to your own folders, without the {SPAM XX.X} prefixing, the spam score info is lost. Although you can add the option to display X-Spam-Score in the emails headers that means opening up each email to see what the score is. I find it very convenient to just see the scores in my special spam category folders just at a glance.

Last edited by xyzzy : 21 Sep 2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 21 Sep 2019, 03:42 PM   #10
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Settings, then preferences, then in there click show advance settings at the bottom of the page.
Old 21 Sep 2019, 06:22 PM   #11
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

That isn't what I asked. I asked where in the advanced preference you see the option you were talking about.

I give up. I'll worry about when and if I lose the Add Spam option.
Old 21 Sep 2019, 07:42 PM   #12
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Preferences then in advanced preferences its where is states reading....
Old 21 Sep 2019, 08:00 PM   #13
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Is this what you're looking for?

https://i.postimg.cc/0ymQjLqd/Clipboard01.png
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2019, 08:42 PM   #14
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

No. Terry said back on post 5,

Quote:
F/m have given me another way to show the spam score.

Settings, preferences,advanced and you can add a script in there
And I've been trying to find out what he's been talking about ever since. I've been assuming he's not talking about advanced settings' Reading/extra headers where you can add X-Spam-score to display in an email's headers after you bring it up to read because I don't consider that a replacement for the Add Spam spam protection setting which I notice in you picture you've lost too. I now think it actually is the extra headers setting he was talking about because I see nothing else there that is even remotely an equivalent of the Add Spam function (I don't want to open up the mail item to see its score). But I don't understand why it appears to be so hard for him to describe what it is he is actually talking about.
Old 22 Sep 2019, 08:34 AM   #15
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
No. Terry said back on post 5,

And I've been trying to find out what he's been talking about ever since. I've been assuming he's not talking about advanced settings' Reading/extra headers where you can add X-Spam-score to display in an email's headers.
Thats it....sorry not what you thought you were getting...