EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 18 Jun 2008, 02:25 PM   #1
war17
The "e" in e-mail

WebDAV in Hotmail extended beyond June 30

I just got notice from Hotmail that WebDAV will be extended beyond June 30, 2008. This is a notice for Outlook Express. I do not know how it affects Microsoft Outlook.

-------------------
Dear Microsoft Outlook Express customer,

You may have received an e-mail from us letting you know that Microsoft is planning to retire the DAV protocol that Outlook Express uses to access Windows Live Hotmail. In response to customer feedback requesting more time to evaluate alternative solutions, we have decided to postpone retiring DAV and we are investigating other alternatives for accessing Windows Live Hotmail via Outlook Express. This means that if you use Outlook Express to access your Windows Live Hotmail account, you will continue to be able to do so beyond the previously announced June 30 transition deadline. We will be sure to update you once we have additional plans to share and early enough in advance to help ensure a smooth transition in the future.

Additionally, Outlook Express customers that use Windows Vista or Windows XP are always welcome to download and use our next generation free email client, Windows Live Mail, providing the familiarity of Outlook Express and much more. You can download the new client at http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview.

We appreciate your feedback, and encourage you to continue to provide it.

Sincerely,

Windows Live Mail Team
war17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Jun 2008, 02:40 PM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

That's sad. I have used Hotmail (although not often) for many years (since I moved away from Windows) and have kept my ability to download mail intact by using Webmail services who apply the http protocol.

Likely I will close my Hotmail account down soon, unless something changes.

After reading the notice, I am wondering if they will delay the close out of this indefinitely; they said they were going to shut this service down before and then changed their minds (a year or two ago) for those who were actively using it.
David is offline   Reply With Quote