EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 24 Jul 2008, 09:11 AM   #1
Merovingian
Master of the @

How to Detect IMAP/POP access ???

I have everything forwarded to my gmail account as a backup / storage / search utility, thus don't really log in that much except for the search function.
I just now logged on, and was doing some perusal around my account, and noticed that the IMAP and POP access were enabled !
I don't remember enabling them, so it's kind of got me alarmed.

My question is: Is there a way I can detect if my account has been "popped" or accessed through IMAP ??? I always use webmail for all my accounts, so I'm not familiar with these.

thanks in advance.....
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Jul 2008, 11:26 AM   #2
war17
The "e" in e-mail

If you have IE7, Firefox 2.0+ or Safari 3.0+, and using the Newer Version, there is a link at the bottom of your Inbox "Last Account Activity". It shows what IP address has recently accessed your account.
war17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2008, 07:15 PM   #3
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by war17 View Post
If you have IE7, Firefox 2.0+ or Safari 3.0+, and using the Newer Version, there is a link at the bottom of your Inbox "Last Account Activity". It shows what IP address has recently accessed your account.
I'm on Firefox 3 in Linux Ubuntu, and there is that link in there also. Seems OK, clicked on details, and saw:
Activity on this account
This feature provides information about the last activity on this mail account and any concurrent activity. Learn more
This account does not seem to be open in any other location.

I must have activated it at some point maybe. Not beyond me to forget something like that

thanks, War17 !
Old 25 Jul 2008, 10:06 PM   #4
CyberSmurf

If you have an old account, those features may have been enabled by default when they were introduced.

I have an account that I only accessed via POP. (Partly as a test to see if POP counts as a log-in. It's been 9 months & 20 days now.).
I never enabled IMAP, but I had no problem setting it up in Outlook Express
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2008, 05:59 AM   #5
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSmurf View Post
If you have an old account, those features may have been enabled by default when they were introduced.
How old is old ? I checked, and this particular account I'm referencing is almost exactly one year old, made on 7/15/07.
Old 26 Jul 2008, 06:50 AM   #6
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
My question is: Is there a way I can detect if my account has been "popped" or accessed through IMAP ??? I always use webmail for all my accounts, so I'm not familiar with these.
Although IMAP and POP are enabled, nobody would be able access your website unless they had your username and password. And if they had those they could also access by webmail.

That being the case, I don't see the (possibly accidental) enabling of IMAP and POP as an issue.

If you are worried that your username/password combination might have been stolen that is an entirely different matter.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2008, 07:04 AM   #7
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Although IMAP and POP are enabled, nobody would be able access your website unless they had your username and password. And if they had those they could also access by webmail.

That being the case, I don't see the (possibly accidental) enabling of IMAP and POP as an issue.

If you are worried that your username/password combination might have been stolen that is an entirely different matter.
thanks, David. I'm not concerned about my username/password combo. For this storage/search account, it is a very obscure username with an intricate (memorized only) password and I only access on my home computer.

I didn't realize that to access through IMAP and POP you also needed the username/password.

thanks!
Old 26 Jul 2008, 07:48 AM   #8
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
I didn't realize that to access through IMAP and POP you also needed the username/password.

thanks!
You're welcome Merovingian
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2008, 11:49 PM   #9
CyberSmurf

Quote:
How old is old ? I checked, and this particular account I'm referencing is almost exactly one year old, made on 7/15/07.
It seems that they introduced IMAP in October 2007. Just barely over nine month ago.
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=50629
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote