EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 19 Sep 2016, 02:53 AM   #16
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I suspect that those who use (and need) PGP do not ever tell anyone else about it
Privacy-conscious folks today use Protonmail and similar encrypted email servers though.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2016, 10:15 AM   #17
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

I think the whole idea of using Facebook is weird. It's the equivalent of a mass-mailing, conveying both an indifference to individuals and a strange disconnect with private communication.
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2016, 09:26 PM   #18
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

I am an email person. I prefer email over other forms of electronic forms of communication. I also write letters.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2016, 01:38 AM   #19
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I agree with most of what you say Bill; that said, email is still widely used, and will always be, imho, for as long as the Internet continues to exist, in its current form at least.
Yes Dave.. I only use email...... I stay far away from facebook and all those sites.....

Its kinda sad.......
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2016, 07:26 AM   #20
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I'm in my 20s and don't use WhatsApp, Viber or Facebook at all (I don't even know what Viber is)
It's a Skype-esque communication service. I never used it myself though, I do occasionally use Skype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie007 View Post
From what I notice in my life is that MOST people (especialy younger ones) do NOT use email anymore. Mostly they prefer whatsapp,Viber,Skype or the FB messenger. I even saw this with some companies. True...in larger companies email still plays an important role.

However here in germany i still see that many copmpanies still use written letters and/or fax!!! When I moved here in 2014 I was realy surprised that they still use the fax. I personaly do not like to use the fax because i think its obsolete now in 2016. You can do wunderfull things with a scanner/modern smartphone and email:-)

I myself am addicted to email:-) But I am from the old guard.

Dutchie.
United Domains, a Germany-based domain registrar, to my knowledge still requires a signed fax for each domain transfer. And I think that's good ; it feels like an extra layer of security. It may not go as fast as most registrars where paperworks have been abolished, but I don't think it's a negative thing.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2016, 07:32 AM   #21
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
I still rely very heavily on email, not only profesionally but also to communicate with friends and family I still use it as my number 1 communication method. I still SMS very frequently too, another communication method which apparently is considered borderline old-fashioned.

I at the moment do not use Facebook nor Twitter, despite being in the artistic field where some go as far as stating you cannot promote your artistic creations without using social media. I have to add my anxiety disorder (the fear how far surveillance goes when using social media) contributes to my non-usage of social media at the moment ; if I'd have peace of mind that their impact is limited then I'd probably use them for advertising performances and new artistic creations ... but for such reasons only. For communication with friends, email still is king. I see social media as a handy thing for messages you want to share with the world, such as announcing when and where you're performing. But for anything not addressed to the entire world, email is still my number 1 method. And it still is for some of my best friends too, I'm not the only one who prefers email above social media

Also, when it comes to social media, Twitter to me appeals more than FB, I see Twitter like a billboard where you can announce your artistic performances and releases ; a bit of a more modern version of the newsletters websites used to have.
But for anything more private, I don't see the added value compared to email. A PM on Facebook or an email comes down to pretty much the same thing, and I know which party I trust more for such communications ...
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2017, 03:47 AM   #22
Steven Avery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie007 View Post
I even saw this with some companies. True...in larger companies email still plays an important role
Some companies are trying to socialize the email type of function.

Quip was the one I ran into the other day.
https://quip.com/

And I am reasonably convinced that they could be superior in a small company for many email type of communication purposes, without losing all the benefits of email.

In general, the question of how to get the benefits of email, messaging and social is interesting.

When you use Hipchat (or even Skype) you do manage to have an ongoing immediate discussion. Plus there are nice things like the picture coming up with the url.

On the other hand the email providers are trying to incorporate more social functionality, plus Gmail did their threading thing (which I do not like.). And you have the tools like Gmelius to try to beef up this area.

In business, you have CRMs that try to act as a bridge between email and social. Nimble and Insightly would be examples.

Personally, I like emails, forums and biz and social messaging.

Steven

Last edited by Steven Avery : 5 Jan 2017 at 04:21 AM.
Steven Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2017, 07:45 PM   #23
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I'm in my 20s and don't use WhatsApp, Viber or Facebook at all (I don't even know what Viber is). I used to have a Facebook account but closed it for many reasons, including dislike of the superficial conversations and the time-wasting. As for email: I love it - my favourite method of communication. I realise that this makes me eccentric for my age - literally no one I know who is my age uses email like I do (they all only have email addresses because they're obliged to as a means of signing up for online services). I find it so personal and meaningful compared to the other aforementioned channels.
yes agree..Zach you are an exception!! Most youngsters I know (and also many women!!) use Whatsapp,Viber or Immo/Skype ONLY for communication. Email more and more only is used because they need to register something...or when they need to communicate with a government authority or a larger company. In South-America (were i lived for nearly 6 years) I also noticed this,but there its like that because many people do not have a computer at home...and they only use their smartphone.

Most people even HATE it when you ask them to communicate through emails..!!! That saddens me...but its like that.

Dutchie.
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2017, 08:14 PM   #24
somdcomputerguy

I just can't stand it when people I talk (phone or personally) with about a file or files say, "Oh, just email them to me".. Forbid it for me to even mention FTP, it's like a cuss word or something! I end up saying, "I'll email you a link.".

- bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2017, 11:12 PM   #25
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
, "Oh, just email them to me".. Forbid it for me to even mention FTP
Does everybody have an FTP server on one's PC/tablet/smartphone?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2017, 06:14 AM   #26
beeboy

I've been using Facebook for 6 months. I signed up only to follow a specific group. Mostly a younger crowd there.

I am very uncomfortable with it. Major invasion of privacy. If you don't bother or know how to control your information it is available to the world. Facebook reads everything including your private messages. This I know from personal experience. Facebook even goes so far to demand identification to keep an account. Big brother like no other.

The younger crowd cannot live without it. I see them online all the time. No one exchanges email, its all done through facebook. I'm embarrassed by what I see of other's personal lives.

I don't like it.
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2017, 02:41 AM   #27
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

I am a long time email user but Texting is being used much more in my family as a back and forth means of talking
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2017, 01:18 AM   #28
jhollington
Essential Contributor

I think it's still a matter of using the best tool for the job. IMHO, text and instant messaging solutions are better for "real-time" communication, and frankly where such conversations should go.

Over a decade ago I had a client actually ask me to deploy an IM solution within their corporate network primarily because their email system was getting cluttered with "Let's do lunch" or "How was the party last night" conversations between folks that were generally better suited to instant messaging. The biggest problem there wasn't the flow of messages, but the reality that people would basically never clean up their inboxes, which left this kind of cruft in the system over the course of years.

That said, none of them would have ever considered replacing their email system with messaging-based solutions. Email was still better for "long-form" communication and collaboration, as well as of course communicating with those outside of the organization.

But even from a non-business point of view, the reality is that we've been hearing about the decline of email for years as new companies try to form their own solutions, but it's important to remember that really we're living in an era of more and more communication "silos" designed by companies that want their proprietary standards to be adopted as the de facto new system. So we have iMessage, BBM, Facebook Messenger, Google+ Hangouts, Whatsapp, Twitter DMs, and the list goes on.

Email actually remains the one open standard method of communication. Although different systems certainly add their own proprietary features on the client side (e.g. Gmail's "labels" and Apple's push notification system), the underlying technology that supports email is based on completely open standards that anybody can design around.

Consider everybody you might ever want to communicate with, from your dentist and banker to your family and friends, and then ask yourself what's the one, single communication system that can be used to reach ALL of them. The only answer for most people is quite probably "email." Even in my case, my friends and family are on a mix of social networks and mobile phone platforms. SMS texting becomes a close second, but most people are naturally more reticent to publish their phone number, it's not a suitable way to communicate with a business as opposed to a person, and even in this day and age there are people who have email addresses that still don't have phones.

Another consideration is that email is much more useful as a "low priority" communications channel. If I have something to send to a friend that's not important enough to want to grab their attention immediately, email is the better way to do it. I can send an email to somebody at 1 AM and generally don't have to worry about disturbing them. This is usually not the case with how most people configure their IM or text messaging to work.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Feb 2017, 08:38 AM   #29
TenFour
Master of the @

I am old enough to remember when email wasn't even thought of yet, and I used it before almost anyone knew what I was doing. It remains the single most widely adopted digital communications tool--you need an email address to sign up for many other messaging systems. I have two children now in their 20s and we correspond mainly by sms, email, and also phone calls. They really don't know what to do if something needs to be mailed using paper and stamps, but they still email stuff all the time. It is really a matter of using what is the most appropriate tool for the message, and email is often the best. Sure, I use SMS for short messages that someone won't need to reference again in the future. But, I am often sending links to something, attachments, phone numbers, etc. I have yet to see any reliable longterm solution to finding such things in your Instant messages.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2017, 11:57 AM   #30
rust2nick

Wink =)

And I still only use email and on fb and vk, rarely happens ...)
rust2nick is offline   Reply With Quote