EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 27 Jan 2003, 09:15 AM   #1
Ryanp

IMAP and mobile internet

Can anyone help me get a handle on this? I have an IMAP capable email client on my new Palmphone. Now that I have three emailing spots (home computer, web (for work), and phone), I would like to coordinate the folders between them. Specifically, to save space, on the phone I would like to have the inbox sync up headers, and would like anything I send from the phone to back up to the web site. From there, I can coordinate home and web fully. Is there a way to just have the items sent *from* the phone using IMAP in the web "sent" folder but not move items in the sent folder from the web site onto the phone? More simply, i would like to use IMAP to sync my Inbox on my phone with the inbox on the Runbox server, but I only want the sent items to go one way--up to the server. Thanks for the help.

Ryan
Ryanp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Jan 2003, 12:08 PM   #2
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

What phone are you using? Many sync ONLY the inbox, and by default to not sync outgoing "sent" messages to the "Sent" folder.

There is usually a provision for a CC: for this purpose. I use a T68i Sony/Ericsson amongst others. Are you using a Palm O/S specific PDA/Phone (like a Treo, Samsung, etc.), or a PocketPC based phone?
oysterquartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2003, 12:13 PM   #3
Ryanp

I am using a Kyocera 7135 with Mobile Mail (Palm OS version 4.1, I think). I'm not sure what you mean by using CC: for this purpose. I was hoping there would be a way to use the geewhiz factor of IMAP to work it out without resorting to sending duplicate emails to myself.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 12:33 PM   #4
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp
I am using a Kyocera 7135 with Mobile Mail (Palm OS version 4.1, I think). I'm not sure what you mean by using CC: for this purpose. I was hoping there would be a way to use the geewhiz factor of IMAP to work it out without resorting to sending duplicate emails to myself.
I thought that you could have meant a phone vs. pda/phone. Depending on the capabilities of mobile mail on the Palm O/S it shouldn't be a problem. Mobile Mail 4.0 does IMAP so it shouldn't be a problem. You can download the specific manual here:

http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/7100...obile.Mail.pdf

Check out page 7 ... you can specify a "Sent" folder and a "Deleted Items" folder name (which must correspond to how they are named) .... so it is possible. Let me know if it only syncs with your desktop or the IMAP server though ... If it only works for the desktop, you can specify the desktop's IMAP Sent Items folder, or a separate local folder that you can do a periodic IMAP transfer to the Runbox server's Sent Items folder, etc.

I assume that you've set up IMAP properly before on a desktop PC client?

Last edited by oysterquartz : 27 Jan 2003 at 12:36 PM.
oysterquartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2003, 01:42 PM   #5
Ryanp

Yes, I've set up the IMAP on the desktop, but haven't really used it before because I only had two points to sync up (Desktop and runbox web server). I have run into problems with Outlook Express, though, as an IMAP client (every time it downloads it indicates a sizeable number of messages are new when they aren't), so I haven't been involved with getting the phone synced. I have the inbox sync set up fine with Mobile Mail. Even though I have "sent" in the entry for the syncing the "sent" folder, there's nothing in that folder when I open it. Not sure what the problem is there. Outlook Express syncs up the sent folder, but to a different folder than it's own sent folder.