EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Apr 2018, 07:48 PM   #1
NJSS
Master of the @

Thumbs up Leaving Facebook

I was delighted to hear a few hours ago that Runbox are leaving Facebook:-

Quote:
At Runbox we work conscientiously every day to ensure that we act in accordance with our Company Values, and as an extension of these, our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

We have carefully implemented these policies in order to protect our users’ privacy as outlined in our Privacy Commitment, and we are currently working hard to obtain compliancy with the forthcoming General Data Protection Regulation introduced by the EU.

This also means that we are conscious about how Runbox interacts with other Internet services such as social media networks. Therefore we have been disappointed by the recent revelations about the privacy intrusions and unethical practices by Facebook.

As a consequence we have decided to remove the Runbox page from the Facebook platform.
I do hope that their excellent example will be followed by Fastmail & POBox.

NJSS
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Apr 2018, 04:10 PM   #2
Bamb0
Master of the @

Excellent!!!!!

Facebook is no g00d for anyone!!!!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2018, 02:07 AM   #3
PON
Essential Contributor

Agree 100%; I saw the writing on the wall 10 years ago and stopped using it. Deleted WhatsApp the day they bought it as I didn't believe their promises not to share data (rightly, as it turned out). Deleted my Facebook account. Goodbye and good riddance.
PON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2018, 09:51 AM   #4
Gankaku

Hi! Long time no see

I had to chime in here. I've had FB for some time, even though it did take me awhile to sign up and I didn't really want to. The company I was working for at the time made an account there, and if I wanted to post I had to make an account.

I liked it for reconnecting with old friends from grade school. That was so fun to be able to chat with them again. But then we all went back into our own worlds, and I rarely commented on their posts or them on mine.

I also didn't like their security flaws. Like, I saw family who had not public accounts, who all of a sudden I could see all their posts. I wasn't supposed to be able to see them.

Then this random accident and that random accident with all our data. I got sick of it. I never liked the interface, all the ads, all the invitations to games, and all the showing off of where people are going and their kids all the time (certain people would post many multiple bragging events from their lives...I just hid them!) and it just really started to annoy me! Especially when a lot of the posts started turning political or they were those quiz posts and I felt like I was coming on to see junk. Try to post a serious post and you get no comment.

My husband gets a lot of use out of Facebook because he stays in touch with family overseas. That's cool. I'm glad he has some platform with which to do that.

So I thought about it for several years, wanting to delete it. Then I heard the podcast by Leo Laporte several weeks ago. I was like, this is the time. I went in. Posted to my friends and told them I'd be deleting and they can message me on my phone or email me. I hit the delete button! FREEEEEEEE!

I received no messages or emails from "friends". Maybe they didn't see the post because they're no longer hanging around there either. The ones I keep in touch with now will be the ones I probably will keep in touch with forever via other means and that will be that.

I never really had my say about this but it feels great to talk about it. This was the only service ever that was like sand in your socks all day long.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2018, 08:07 PM   #5
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gankaku View Post
Hi! Long time no see
Sometimes I think, where are all the moderators?
Although ReuvenNY is doing a good job!
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2018, 03:29 AM   #6
Gankaku

Isn't he, though?
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2018, 04:20 AM   #7
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Sometimes I think, where are all the moderators?
Although ReuvenNY is doing a good job!
ReuvenNY is this forum's unsung savior - whilst his peers have deserted us, he is our last line of defence.

He's the equivalent of the little Dutch boy with his finger plugging a hole in the dyke, he's the soldier left behind with a clip of ammo and a packet of smokes.

Respect!
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2018, 10:13 AM   #8
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gankaku View Post
.....like sand in your socks all day long.
I like the metaphor
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote