EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 30 Dec 2015, 01:02 PM   #1
ezkop

webmail vs desktop email client

Both methods seem to have pros and cons. Is it still necessary to use a local email client installed? Will email client software die in the future? What is the best methods to take for a not too heavy user?
ezkop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Dec 2015, 05:51 PM   #2
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkop View Post
Both methods seem to have pros and cons. Is it still necessary to use a local email client installed? Will email client software die in the future? What is the best methods to take for a not too heavy user?
for work mail I can't leave outlook every day. heavily depend on the client software.
for private mail I use FM/Runbox, never need a client.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2015, 06:16 PM   #3
ezkop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
for work mail I can't leave outlook every day. heavily depend on the client software.
for private mail I use FM/Runbox, never need a client.
How do you backup your email if not using a client?
Old 30 Dec 2015, 07:13 PM   #4
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
How do you backup your email if not using a client?
Both my FM/RB have 5GB storage, I never fill them full.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2015, 07:26 PM   #5
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
It's whatever works best for you.

I used to use a local client mainly, but over recent times I've found I use webmail mostly.

Wasn't a conscious effort on my part - it just happened.

I still have a local client that I occasionally use, but perform weekly back-ups of my webmail locally, using MailStore Home.

Whatever you use, make sure - if you value any of your e-mails - to back them up.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2015, 07:53 PM   #6
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
I [...] perform weekly back-ups of my webmail locally
Whatever you use, make sure - if you value any of your e-mails - to back them up.
An alternative to a local back-up is to use another email service for copying all your incoming and outgoing messages to. With some providers this can be done automatically.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2015, 08:07 PM   #7
ezkop

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
An alternative to a local back-up is to use another email service for copying all your incoming and outgoing messages to. With some providers this can be done automatically.
I only know gmail can fetch from other accounts using POP3. Or just auto forward to another account as a backup, but that only backup the incoming emails.
Old 30 Dec 2015, 10:05 PM   #8
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Quote:
I only know gmail can fetch from other accounts using POP3. Or just auto forward to another account as a backup, but that only backup the incoming emails.
I use Pobox Mailstore (now FastMail) for this to forward to Outlook.com and EuMX.net.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2015, 10:59 PM   #9
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

I can't imagine not using a mail client on mobile. Webmail just doesn't cut it and most clients today consolidate accounts on multiple servers.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2015, 11:06 PM   #10
quidam

Webmails have usually less advanced features (formatting, display etc.) than clients.

I personally use both on a case-by-case basis, depending upon my needs.
quidam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2015, 10:59 AM   #11
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
I rarely use webmail. I can't imagine doing email without out an email client. I do almost all my email from my home computer. I don't worry about loosing content for any of my providers. It's in my client and my computer is backed up daily. with the exception of one account that uses IMAP4, I use POP3 and delete from server after downloading so there is nothing stored anyway. I don't think email client software is in any danger of fading away yet. While I do have multiple email accounts I don't consider my self a heavy user. For example I received 11 emails this morning. Five of them from my clients mailing list. None of them need to be replied to. For me this is the best method. Plus when folks complain about how they messed up Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook.com, etc. I just sit back on enjoy the consistency of my client.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2015, 12:19 PM   #12
David
Ultimate Contributor

If I had enough cash, I would just purchase a high end smartphone, and then buy a plan from a Canadian provider, that would push mail to my phone, wherever I was in the world.

However, if I did that, it would likely cost me more than what I am paying for airline tickets (and hotels) so, what I do is to purchase local (and global) SIM cards, for wherever I plan to visit, and then piddle around using wifi.... which is a pain in the butt, for sure

Canada is the biggest rip off in the world (when it comes to smartphone plans and rates) for sure.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2015, 04:22 PM   #13
jl66
Essential Contributor

I only use webmail (with security) to avoid some known attacks to pop/imap (deactivated), but I use a filter from my main email address to receive a message in another email service that I use in my smartphone/tablet. Then I can check my email everywhere (mobile phone, tablet, computers, etc) using webmail.
jl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2015, 11:44 PM   #14
Cory
Essential Contributor

This is definitely a personal preference thing however I basically only use Webmail. Every once in a while I will try and use a Desktop client and switch back and I pretty much always find myself going back to webmail.
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2016, 07:34 AM   #15
EricG
Essential Contributor

A few things desktop clients do that web mail can't. Multiple accounts, local folders and cached emails.

With the ability to move and copy, you can migrate accounts and cached IMAP serves as a backup.

The ability to change sort order and select all or ranges, makes organizing messages easy.

Mobile apps are not as powerful, but are often more usable the mobile web mail.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote