EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 Mar 2004, 10:04 PM   #1
Darumatic

Japanese Text

I'm thinking of signing up with Fastmail and will be using it for both English and Japanese.

Using the web interface, I have been able to send messages in Japanese, but not subject headings, which come out garbled.
Does anyone know a way around this?

With another provider I have noticed the problem goes away when using SMTP rather than the web interface, but have not been able to confirm this with Fastmail because I've only been testing it using the free plan, which doesn't have SMTP.
Has anyone else tried this? Any luck?

Any help would be appreciated. It seems like a good service, but don't want to lose information in the headings in Japanese.
Darumatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Mar 2004, 04:48 PM   #2
Sherry

Re: Japanese Text

Quote:
Originally posted by Darumatic
With another provider I have noticed the problem goes away when using SMTP rather than the web interface, but have not been able to confirm this with Fastmail because I've only been testing it using the free plan, which doesn't have SMTP.
Has anyone else tried this? Any luck?
Maybe you could use your ISP's SMTP to send from a client...

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2004, 09:03 PM   #3
Darumatic

Hi Sherry,

Thanks for your reply (and sorry mine took so much longer).

Signed up with fastmail in the end and Japanese works fine using IMAP/SMTP.

Using the web interface, it works fairly well after changing the "Default Charset". The only slight problem is that different email providers seem to use different Japanese encoding, meaning it could be necessary to change the setting depending on who you're emailing.

Cheers
Darumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2004, 03:45 AM   #4
Ninniku

IMAP/SMTP in Japanese has worked fine for me in the past, and the website works fine except for 1) garbled subject headers and 2) quoted text in replies or forwarded messages that is also garbled. I think these items are on the FM's staffs "to do" list, but if not, I hope they'll work on it in the future!
Ninniku is offline   Reply With Quote