EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 24 Jan 2022, 04:54 PM   #16
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans2010 View Post
The current trend in UI design is to assume users have fewer brain cells than they used to have,
Not fewer, only less functional...

In the distant past Fastmail had several themes for the user to choose from, with at least one of them for users that want to maximize content visible in one screen.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2022, 05:07 PM   #17
JeffK

Terry, I don't think the font is any larger, just less can be seen on the screen.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2022, 05:33 PM   #18
JoeR

If there was an alternative to fastmail that didn't constantly get all "edgy" with the ui had lots of domains included & allowed me loads of aliases per account (like Fastmail) & sieve.

I would seriously pay half my subscription again on top. Stop changing it or at least allow the option of keeping the old basic look & decide on the font ourselves
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2022, 05:43 PM   #19
nudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
Is there a way to revert? I hate the constant pointless changes to the UI.
Same here ! Seriously there's nothing worse than starting work on a Monday morning and finding Fastmail have once again decided they know best. Having to deal with unwanted UI changes that are basically, just devs finding a reason to justify their work. If they think dumbing down their long term users is a valid stategy I'll be looking around for other options.

Fastmail are not Apple, a cavalier approach to their users will end badly for them.
nudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2022, 05:56 PM   #20
Gsptlsnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
If there was an alternative to fastmail that didn't constantly get all "edgy" with the ui had lots of domains included & allowed me loads of aliases per account (like Fastmail) & sieve.

I would seriously pay half my subscription again on top. Stop changing it or at least allow the option of keeping the old basic look & decide on the font ourselves
Yes! The previous UI was good as it was and there should be an option to keep that design.
Gsptlsnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2022, 06:05 PM   #21
JoeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsptlsnz View Post
Yes! The previous UI was good as it was and there should be an option to keep that design.
All forced unnecessary UI changes do for me are get me to do a web search on alternative providers.
Fastmail are top notch at most things, but I use this all day, mess with the UI (AGAIN!) & I'm majorly annoyed.

But the aliases, loads of included domains & sieve are the killers for me, need/want them etc. So I'm stuck with Fastmail I don't think anyone else provides these three things
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2022, 07:55 PM   #22
odedp
Master of the @

I can't see any significant changes
(Maybe the font is a little different...)
Can someone post a screenshot please?
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2022, 08:38 PM   #23
NJSS
Master of the @

I really don't like the new UI.

If you are in a folder you have the header which allows you to select "All mail, Unread, Pinned & VIP".

If you select today's mail, yesterday's mail etc.. there is no header.

NJSS
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2022, 08:38 PM   #24
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedp View Post
I can't see any significant changes
There are no significant changes, as I see it, except perhaps the location (and some added functionality) of the search bar, and consequently in message view the action buttons moved from the first row to the second row, Which takes so time to get used to (but no one mentioned this in this thread. I've been using beta during the last few weeks, so I'm past the getting used to the new button locations by now).
There is a minor change of additional vertical spacing, that becomes a major change if you have many folders and are used to several of them always showing, because now you have to scroll down to see some folders, and the same with the message list: if you get a lot of new messages, more of them would require scrolling down.
So the changes are quite small, and become major only for heavy users.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2022, 09:12 PM   #25
digp
Master of the @

Can anyone recommend an Exchange provider in Europe or the UK.

Data encryption at rest a must.

Many thanks.
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2022, 10:04 PM   #26
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
There are no significant changes, as I see it, except perhaps the location (and some added functionality) of the search bar, and consequently in message view the action buttons moved from the first row to the second row, Which takes so time to get used to (but no one mentioned this in this thread. I've been using beta during the last few weeks, so I'm past the getting used to the new button locations by now).
There is a minor change of additional vertical spacing, that becomes a major change if you have many folders and are used to several of them always showing, because now you have to scroll down to see some folders, and the same with the message list: if you get a lot of new messages, more of them would require scrolling down.
So the changes are quite small, and become major only for heavy users.
Thank you
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2022, 10:35 PM   #27
bipbop

Did the UI change to dark mode for anyone else using light here? Easy to fix, of course. I like the new UI. It's more clean looking. Other than that, I can't say I noticed anything out of place. So I have no complaints.

Scratch that. Hovering over mail subjects no longer expands them. Hope they'll fix that.

Last edited by bipbop : 24 Jan 2022 at 10:39 PM. Reason: addendum
bipbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2022, 02:11 AM   #28
earlybird

I find the new UI harder to read. The previous look was superior, in my opinion. I had to enable "bold buttons style" to get some degree of readability/structure back in message view. It's not good to make everything flat and remove button boundaries.

I find the "compose" button funny. It looks oddly out of place now whereas in the previous design, it was perfectly fine. The previous design solved that problem well, the current design, not so much.

Fastmail guys: If a design has worked for 4 years with minor tweaks (when I onboarded) --- it works 4 more. The UI with minor tweaks to accommodate the new sidebar, compliment some icon changes etc was really good. Not saying the new look is just bad. Just that the old one had clear upsides.

Well I saw it coming in the beta and Fastmail still has the best webmail, so what gives.
earlybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2022, 02:13 AM   #29
earlybird

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipbop View Post
Did the UI change to dark mode for anyone else using light here? Easy to fix, of course. I like the new UI. It's more clean looking. Other than that, I can't say I noticed anything out of place. So I have no complaints.

Scratch that. Hovering over mail subjects no longer expands them. Hope they'll fix that.
It might be that unlike before, the UI software defaults to the system theme first then applies the user preference which might glitch, and due to the change in the structure of the UI theme settings, it didn't respect your previously selected preference.
earlybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2022, 02:30 AM   #30
bipbop

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
It might be that unlike before, the UI software defaults to the system theme first then applies the user preference which might glitch, and due to the change in the structure of the UI theme settings, it didn't respect your previously selected preference.
I don't think this is something that can be set in prefs. At least I can't find it anywhere.
bipbop is offline   Reply With Quote