EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 Dec 2022, 12:57 AM   #1
Fenman
Cornerstone of the Community

Some recipents receiving two copies

I am in frequent contact with a friend of mine and have had no blips previously. Today, he pointed out that he had received two copies of my email. My 'Sent' box says I sent only one.

I've discovered that:

If I send an email to my wife on the same Fastmail-hosted domain, she receives one copy.

If I send from one of my Fastmail-hosted domains to another of my Fastmail-hosted domains, I receive two copies.

If I send from a Fastmail-hosted domain to my Gmail account, I receive two copies.

Has anyone else had the same? Any likely cause, please?

Edit: Ah! I've just realised it's on the Beta

Last edited by Fenman : 21 Dec 2022 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Ah! I've just realised it's on the Beta websiite.
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21 Dec 2022, 01:18 AM   #2
evfrson

Have you confirmed that the production website only sends one copy ?
evfrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2022, 02:56 AM   #3
Fenman

Thanks. No, I only realised that I needed to test the production version after I posted. It does seem to be OK.

Apologies for raising the issue before I checked.
Old 21 Dec 2022, 04:50 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I can't duplicate your experience. I only get one message received.
  • To send I'm using a PC with Firefox browser logged into betaapp.fastmail.com (the new beta URL)
  • To receive I'm using the same PC and Firefox logged into mail.google.com
  • I tried sending test messages from three different FROM addresses:
    • Fastmail-owned domain alias at my account #1
    • Different Fastmail-owned domain alias at my account #2
    • An alias at my personal domain (hosted at Fastmail) at my account #1
  • In all cases I only get one received message at my Gmail account.
Can you look at the two received message full headers at Gmail? To do this in Gmail while reading one of the received messages, click in the three vertical dot ellipsis on the right (More feature) and select Show original. Compare the top Received: header exact timestamps between the two messages received. If they are identical look for any other differences between the full headers.

When you say "Fastmail-hosted domains" I'm not sure if you mean a domain owned by Fastmail or one you own which is hosted at Fastmail -- probably the latter. What happens if you use the default Fastmail main account From address?

I doubt that Fastmail is doubling up the transmission unless there is some rule or alias targeting or forwarding going on at one end or the other. Is there any chance you are seeing both the sent copy and the received copy due to message threading?

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2022, 07:20 AM   #5
gardenweed

@Fenman...
Are you using the FM web interface when these duplicate emails happen, or are you using an email client?
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2022, 01:46 PM   #6
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Following up from Bill's post, one of the first things I would compare between the two sets of headers is the Message ID. If these are the same, then it is puzzling as to why duplicate message suppression did not prevent the receipt of two messages. If different, then I would look back in the headers to see where the message originated. This kind of behaviour is reminiscent of what can happen with some kinds of message forwarding services.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2022, 06:21 PM   #7
Fenman

Thanks for your comments. I was using the web beta interface at the time. As you can tell, I'm not an expert. My hunch is that it was a glitch while something was being changed in beta.

Whatever the case, it's OK now.