EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 27 Apr 2005, 06:39 AM   #1
Joseph3_98

Question DSPAM Sensitivity?

What is the level of sensitivity for your spam filter? I keep having a problem with the trainable filters. I have a legitimate investing safelist that I like reading a lot, but because I don't want it to be spam, a lot of other pump-and-dump and penny stock schemes that I don't want to see show up and keep showing up in spite of my clicking the button to train it as spam. Also, when I do report spam in my Inbox, it takes forever and I worry whether or not my browser is going to time out. Sometimes it's a failure altogether.

Joseph Watson
Joseph3_98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Apr 2005, 01:47 AM   #2
jbs
Essential Contributor

Re: DSPAM Sensitivity?

Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph3_98
What is the level of sensitivity for your spam filter? I keep having a problem with the trainable filters. I have a legitimate investing safelist that I like reading a lot, but because I don't want it to be spam, a lot of other pump-and-dump and penny stock schemes that I don't want to see show up and keep showing up in spite of my clicking the button to train it as spam. Also, when I do report spam in my Inbox, it takes forever and I worry whether or not my browser is going to time out. Sometimes it's a failure altogether.

Joseph Watson
One option with a list like this is to use a special email address for it, either a Runbox alias, or a +suffix disposable. For example, if your email address is myname@runbox dot com, you could sign up for the list with myname+investlist@runbox dot com.

Then you add a filter that moves anything with that suffix into your inbox BEFORE the spam filters do their thing.

Presumably your penny stock stuff is not coming from that same mailing list, so it can still get filtered as spam.

Alternatively, if the mailing list adds anything unique to the headers like "[investor safelist]" in the subject line, then you can filter on that term as well.

If I've misunderstood and the penny stock emails are actually being sent TO that mailing list, then I'd say it's a MUCH more difficult challenge, and should be handled by someone moderating the mailing list. It's highly unlikely that a spam filter would be able to distinguish between two posts to the same mailing list, one of which offers legitimate investment advice and the other one hawking penny stocks. If such a filter exists, it should start its own mutual fund . . .

--Jason

P.S. If you don't mind, please clarify what's coming where and ask for clarification on any of this that does not make sense!
jbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2005, 06:20 AM   #3
Joseph3_98

It's not a discussion-list type of thing...this company sends out mailings with investment advice. They have a different (paid) web forum for discussion of stock picks and such. The stock scams have clear spam markers and are not even in the same style of mailing. The legitimate mailings all come from one specific e-mail address, which is whitelisted and filtered to go into a separate folder, and it behaves correctly. The spams involve scam investments and appear directly in my Inbox, which makes me believe that the spam filter must treat them similarly somehow. When I report them as spam, they keep on appearing. Should I report these guys to their ISPs and to the SEC, perhaps?

I have an alias, but the organization is trusted by thousands and I subscribed to the safelist long before Runbox automated creating aliases.

Joseph Watson
Joseph3_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2005, 07:25 AM   #4
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
I don't know how many times you've done "Report Spam" but it is my understanding that it takes a number of them to be reported as Spam before DSPAM considers them statistically significant to be flagged as spam. It may be that you just need to train DSPAM longer.

Having the sending address on the Whitelist is the proper thing to do for you real emails.

This message apparently is not being flagged by SpamAssassin either. It might has flagged a few spam tests from SpamAssassin but not enough to consider it spam. In these cases there might be some common SpamAssassin tests being flagged that you can test for with a filter. For example, STOCK_PICK and STOCK_ALERT are some tests that might be flagged for spam related to stock. Or if messages are sent from servers that are on a black list such as SpamCop it would have RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET in the header to indicate that it was flagged by SpamCop.

You might want to read the informaiton from 50ftQueenie in this recent posting:

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...626#post313728

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2005, 03:34 AM   #5
50ftQueenie

Quote:
Originally posted by carverrn
Or if messages are sent from servers that are on a black list such as SpamCop it would have RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET in the header to indicate that it was flagged by SpamCop.
There's one remark about SpamCop if you decide to use them in your filters. SpamCop gathers IP-addresses on basis of complaints sent in by SpamCop users. Some users do not have sufficient knowledge to judge spam or email headers. As a result it can happen that ISPs can (temporarily) be added to the list of SpamCop due to misabuse of some senders. This doesn't necessarily means that all messages sent through that ISP are spam.

This might not be a problem if you have your filters well organised and your whitelist senderlist is regularly updated. So this may something to keep in mind if you set up a filter for RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET.

Kind regards,
50ftQ.
50ftQueenie is offline   Reply With Quote