EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 7 Jul 2017, 12:43 PM   #1
ellentk
Essential Contributor

Including a specific folder in saved searches?

Is there a way to include a specific folder in a saved search?

I searched a folder for a word in the subject and saved it. But when I used the saved search, it was set to search all mail, not the folder in the original search that I saved.
ellentk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Jul 2017, 03:06 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I can't duplicate your problem, Ellen. Please try these examples. Where you see TEST use a folder in your account. Be sure to enter the folder name exactly as it is shown in your folder tree, with exact capitalization. If the folder name contains any spaces, include it in quotes such as "Test folder".
  • First select (open for reading) a folder so you can read mail in that folder.
    • In the Search box, enter:
      date
    • You will then see the search results for "date" in the selected folder (shown at the top middle as Searching ... foldername).
    • At the top of the folder tree at the left (immediately below the Compose button) you will see your current search "date". Click the adjacent Save button and enter the name "search1" and click Save.
    • You will now see the "search1" search shown like a subfolder of the original folder.
    • Click Inbox, then click the "search1" link. You should again see the results for a search in the original folder you chose for "date".
    • This technique is the equivalent of creating an advanced search with that same folder selected at the folder picker a the top with date in the Anywhere field.
  • Now start over by clicking Inbox.
    • In the Search box, enter:
      in:TEST date
    • You will now see the search results for "date" in the selected folder. But you will not see the folder selection tool at the top middle -- instead you will see "Searching All mail for in:TEST date: found xxx conversations".
    • If you save this search as "search2", it will be saved at the very end of your folder tree, since it is saved as a search across all folders (All mail), even though the search syntax overrides this and forces a search in only the TEST folder.
In either of these cases, clicking the saved search only searches in the originally specified folder. Is that what you wanted? There are many of other possible searches, such as:
in:TEST OR in:Friends date

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2017, 07:57 AM   #3
ellentk
Essential Contributor

Thanks, Bill. I'll play around with this.

Ellen
ellentk is offline   Reply With Quote