EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 4 Dec 2009, 12:35 AM   #16
Abydos
Essential Contributor

Yeh, while I'm always tempted to contact the company involved, there are endless news reports of how many PCs are infected with virus' that harvest email adresses etc. I'd think it likely that many companies have no idea they're leaking customer adresses out to spammers.

Subdomain addressing is an invaluable anti spam measure. Just shocked a company would take such a massively ill-informed knee jerk reaction like this. Ahh well, couldn't join a watch company's official forum on timetechtalk, so went & joined that company's page on Facebook instead. No issues with subdomain .fm addresses or militant admin staff there.

Last edited by Abydos : 4 Dec 2009 at 05:45 AM.
Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2009, 02:10 AM   #17
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertz123456 View Post
So what I normally do is give them another email address from my catch-all domain name that points to my FM account. And just to **** them off I use their name or company name and my domain e.g. amazon@mydomain.com or jeff.rubens@mydomain.com (remember I can use ANYTHING@mydomain.com) You should listen to their reaction. I get a kick out of this every time
You can't imagine the number of times I've had to explain this one.. "You work here, too?!"

If only I was dishonest, I'd probably have gotten a million employee discounts by now.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2009, 06:43 AM   #18
JMac
Essential Contributor

Same problem here. Many, many forums where I have tried to register refuse to accept any email addresses "from that domain". Some allow it if I use one of FM's other domain names but a few bounce my attempts with every one of FM's other domains. Has something to do with FM's free account history. These forums usually refuse any addresses from "free email services", suspecting that spammers often or always use the free services to send their spam from. Probably was true at one time but now the spammers seem to be able to spoof any domain they want.

This does make using FM more difficult than other services IMO.

Jim
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2009, 07:51 AM   #19
qwertz123456
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
You can't imagine the number of times I've had to explain this one.. "You work here, too?!"

If only I was dishonest, I'd probably have gotten a million employee discounts by now.
You should have said something like this: "Of course I work here too! All morons like you and I work at company ABC
qwertz123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2009, 08:01 AM   #20
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac View Post
These forums usually refuse any addresses from "free email services", suspecting that spammers often or always use the free services to send their spam from.
Are you serious? It seems like half the world now uses Hotmail or Gmail... I cannot imagine a forum rejecting those free services....
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2009, 11:53 AM   #21
JMac
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
Are you serious? It seems like half the world now uses Hotmail or Gmail... I cannot imagine a forum rejecting those free services....
Sure I'm serious. And many of them state as much when they reject my email addresses. Been like this for quite a long time - since long before I used FM. I used to get my Yahoo and/or Gmail addresses refused also.

All I can say is that at some time in the past Fastmail must have gotten a rep for a lot of spam coming from their addresses. Or possibly when forums stopped accepting free addresses Fastmail had enough of them out there that they got lumped in with the others. Either way it's one of those things that apparently sticks with them for a long time.

Jim
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2009, 12:19 PM   #22
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac View Post
Sure I'm serious. And many of them state as much when they reject my email addresses. Been like this for quite a long time - since long before I used FM. I used to get my Yahoo and/or Gmail addresses refused also.

All I can say is that at some time in the past Fastmail must have gotten a rep for a lot of spam coming from their addresses. Or possibly when forums stopped accepting free addresses Fastmail had enough of them out there that they got lumped in with the others. Either way it's one of those things that apparently sticks with them for a long time.

Jim
Jim: I must say that I agree with you, and that this is one reason why I don't have a paid Fastmail account today. I also am of the opinion that Fastmail don't deserve this bad reputation... but am thinking that (these days) the amount of enhanced account holders, who use their account purely for personal mail are in a minority. Many professional email marketers are using Fastmail accounts to a large degree these days.... to mass mail their customers and clients, which makes one wonder, if a Fastmail account is still the best deal out there, for those customers and clients who only need an email account for personal mail.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2009, 02:35 PM   #23
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Jim: I must say that I agree with you, and that this is one reason why I don't have a paid Fastmail account today. I also am of the opinion that Fastmail don't deserve this bad reputation... but am thinking that (these days) the amount of enhanced account holders, who use their account purely for personal mail are in a minority. Many professional email marketers are using Fastmail accounts to a large degree these days.... to mass mail their customers and clients, which makes one wonder, if a Fastmail account is still the best deal out there, for those customers and clients who only need an email account for personal mail.
That is a pretty harsh statement to Fastmail, and I question it's validity...

My gut says that pretty much any service is going to have similar issues.

My gut also says that this is probably not true because I have had almost no problems in all my years at fastmail. I have several businesses, and all my personal mail going through fastmail. The only problem I have ever had is when I tried to send mail through my asian isp - and my emails were immediately labeled SPAM to all my recipients. I get better luck going through fastmail and a vpn than I do going through gmail and a local asian isp...

Fastmail would have been on all the spam lists long ago - but from everything I know Fastmail has been quick to make sure that they stay off of spam lists.

just my thoughts
Old 4 Dec 2009, 02:43 PM   #24
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I've had a couple of instances where my Fastmail messages were rejected by the recipient server because Fastmail's IP was blacklisted -- but not for a long time. For one of those experiences, Fastmail support worked with the receiving service to remove Fastmail from the blacklist. It took a couple of days.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2009, 03:15 PM   #25
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
That is a pretty harsh statement to Fastmail, and I question it's validity...

My gut says that pretty much any service is going to have similar issues.
It was not intended to be a harsh statement C/L, but consider that Fastmail has (imo) specifically targeted their enhanced service at business users, who wish to discharge large volumes of mail. Consider that lower level account holders (eg: Full) are no longer even allowed to host a domain name (that privilege was retracted years ago) The enhanced account is specifically targeted at email marketers and I am not indicating this is necessarily a bad thing. See Rob's post here.

If you are in a position however, where your smtp requirements are less, and when you send mail to folk who have addresses at one of the 'big three' and your mail is often directed to bulk mail folders, or (worse) bounced, you have to wonder if a Fastmail account is still the best way to go.

Sure... my mail accounts that come with my webhost and ISP are more restrictive than a Fastmail account (and are not as full featured) but my messages to folk who host with the big three almost never get bounced or end up in a spam folder.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2009, 04:19 PM   #26
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Ok, well that is a lot of messages. Many more than I usually send, but I occassionally send out emails to 500 of my closest friends.

Anyhoo, this is only the second time in 5 years that I have heard anything like this. Another time was when fastmail got bumped onto a spam list. But they cleared it up fast.

True "Spammers" selling male enhancement and other stuff would probably find the 1000 messages too restrictive. Sending out e-zines, etc. is just becoming standard practice. At what point an ezine becomes spam is probably in the eye of the beholder...
Old 4 Dec 2009, 07:33 PM   #27
SvLSvLSvL

Quote:
Ok, well that is a lot of messages. Many more than I usually send, but I occassionally send out emails to 500 of my closest friends.
500 of your closest friends !! Wow, you're popular
SvLSvLSvL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Dec 2009, 01:42 AM   #28
Abydos
Essential Contributor

Yeah, I felt like a loser when I read that too.
Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Dec 2009, 05:40 AM   #29
qwertz123456
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvLSvLSvL View Post
500 of your closest friends !! Wow, you're popular
Everything is a little bigger in China than in other parts of the world - they just have more people
qwertz123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 2009, 11:04 AM   #30
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertz123456 View Post
Everything is a little bigger in China than in other parts of the world - they just have more people
Cities here don't even get on the map unless you have 2 million people. under 1 million is considered a small town. 1.3 billion is a lot of people.