EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 2 Dec 2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Abydos
Essential Contributor

'Non real email companies like Fastmail'. ?

Having difficulties registering with a site and got this response from their 'helpdesk':

registration is fully automated and we have no control over it...I can however say that registering will be denied if you are using non real e-mail companies ie: fastmail.

What the heck are they talking about 'non real' email companies? Their Helpdesk replied to my non real email address so it obviously is real??
Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Dec 2009, 03:31 PM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

Possibly they are biased against companies that don't show the originating ip address of the sender....
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2009, 06:52 PM   #3
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Issue sounds personal. What is the site?
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2009, 07:39 PM   #4
Abydos
Essential Contributor

The site was timetechtalk.com

They will also automatically block you if you use an address that contains the word timetechtalk. I use subdomain addressing for all sites I register with eg. amazonaccount@FMusername.fastmail.fm

Not sure it's personal - just sounds ill informed. I mean really, they want us to all use the email account that our ISPs give us? That would be fun everytime we switch Internet providers. Very 21st century.

Last edited by Abydos : 3 Dec 2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 2 Dec 2009, 07:57 PM   #5
jackmfm

That is crazy

Gee,

If FastMail isn't "real email", I'd hate to see what is!

They could perhaps be struggling with the .fm suffix. You could try creating an alias to your account using one of the available .com addresses. See if that helps (you then wouldn't have to use subdomain addressing which they may also be struggling with, but they shouldn't).

Hope that helps.

Jack
jackmfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2009, 08:49 PM   #6
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Since you used the fastmail domain in the registration, I wonder if it wasn't just a automated script that took the domain name and spit it back at you?

Sounds fishy, or at least like webmaster has a grudge...
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2009, 09:24 PM   #7
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmfm View Post
Gee,

If FastMail isn't "real email", I'd hate to see what is!

They could perhaps be struggling with the .fm suffix.
Maybe they think "fm" means "fake mail" ?
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2009, 12:19 AM   #8
Abydos
Essential Contributor

The ludicrous thing is... their help desk is a hotmail account.
I guess hotmail is a REAL email company then.
Old 3 Dec 2009, 02:33 AM   #9
qwertz123456
Essential Contributor

Sometimes I have the same problem when I tell people my email address is username or alias@fastmail.FM What FM? Are you sure? FM? No, you idiot of course I'm not sure what my frick'n email address is

So what I normally do is give them another email address from my catch-all domain name that points to my FM account. And just to **** them off I use their name or company name and my domain e.g. amazon@mydomain.com or jeff.rubens@mydomain.com (remember I can use ANYTHING@mydomain.com) You should listen to their reaction. I get a kick out of this every time
qwertz123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2009, 03:52 AM   #10
Abydos
Essential Contributor

Yeh, I've used that format for every site I've ever signed up too.
I include the word 'account' to try & show administrators that it's eg: my amazon account @ my email address.
Never had a problem registering anywhere before.

Ages ago I foolishly signed up to emusic & luckily used that format. Started getting spam & blocked it. Took off the block the other day & got two spams immediately.
Old 3 Dec 2009, 04:59 AM   #11
qwertz123456
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abydos View Post
Yeh, I've used that format for every site I've ever signed up too.
I include the word 'account' to try & show administrators that it's eg: my amazon account @ my email address.
That let's you know who sells your email address and with whom you do NOT want to do business again
qwertz123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2009, 02:10 PM   #12
Abydos
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmfm View Post
They could perhaps be struggling with the .fm suffix. .. they may also be struggling with [subdomain addressing] but they shouldn't.

Well, the above combination is apparently enough to confirm FM users as spammers.

I tried explaining that FM has been around for 10 years and that subdomain addressing just protects accounts from spam. They then provided this technical explanation detailing the difficulties their company faces, processing applications from Fastmail users:

'well the truth is I figured you is a spammer and I was right!'

That was it, one line. I wouldn't want to use the word 'juvenile' but I'm sure the companies that use timetechtalk are really pleased that potential customers are being barred at the door, simply on the basis of an email address.
Old 3 Dec 2009, 10:29 PM   #13
Mystakill
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abydos View Post
Ages ago I foolishly signed up to emusic & luckily used that format. Started getting spam & blocked it. Took off the block the other day & got two spams immediately.
Ditto here. I emailed Emusic "support" about it, and they proceeded to argue with me about the fact that they don't sell their subscriber's addresses. I called BS, and I told them so because the odds of a spammer guessing the local-part, the subdomain, and the personal domain of an address I've used *only* at emusic.com is next to none.

I've since blocked that address as well.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2009, 11:10 PM   #14
akorvemaker
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystakill View Post
I emailed Emusic "support" about it, and they proceeded to argue with me about the fact that they don't sell their subscriber's addresses.
That's odd. I've never had problems with emusic. I wonder if their database was hacked or something.

I use either company@mydomain.com or company@username.fastmail.fm also. I like tracking where things come from. That said, I have had a couple of my addresses guessed by spammers (as far as I can tell) in the past, but it's been very limited, and always on my own domains.

Andy
akorvemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2009, 11:16 PM   #15
Mystakill
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by akorvemaker View Post
That's odd. I've never had problems with emusic. I wonder if their database was hacked or something.
I suggested that as a possibility as well, but they also denied that. I told them that it was likely one of those two scenarios, but they steadfastly refused to acknowledge that either was possible.

I had the same thing happen with an old FM account I had used to sign up for the Improv, which was heavily spammed after our local Improv closed; I suspect a disgruntled ex-employee in that case. That's also in my killfile.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote